Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

calebsystem3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

I am trying to put myself out there socially and I even got a job where I have to interact constantly. I have some problems at work though. More often than not I will not process what somebody is saying very fast. Its like I can't pick up on what they are talking about. They will be telling me a story or how to do something and I have no clue what they just said and to top it off my working memory is so bad. So I will not process what they said and then I will not remember what I did not process.
So basically I miss the whole point and I dont remember. Is this a part of Asp?
Should I get another job? because this job deals with emergency situations.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:03 am

Yes, it´s a part of ASD - and maybe I would consider choosing a job, that doesn´t depend on fast processing :)

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 5:17 pm

I would definitely stick with your job, because to do otherwise is to accept defeat that you will never be able to overcome your deficiencies. Maybe the next job you get will be too noisy and over stimulating you. What do you do then? Do you keep quitting jobs until you arrive at the perfect job? That might take forever.

Having a brain with a slow processing speed has its advantages. You tend to be more methodical and come up with the correct solution to a problem. Your immediate concern is not keeping up with conversation and losing track with what you are suppose to be doing. Your job sounds fairly new. You are being placed into a new environment where you are being overstimulated with demands on your brain's processing speed overpowering you. In time I think your brain will adjust as you become less nervous and more confident in what you are doing.

It might help adjusting to your new job by keeping a diary of your day's activities. Review your work at the end of each day. Critique the things that you are doing well. What didn't work out well that day. What specific things do you need to work on to get better at the job. On your way to work each day think about the things you intend doing that day and make sure you prepare for any work assignments you have been given.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 1:23 am

I think the "emergencies" part means it's not a good place to learn if you're starting at a place below where a normal newbie would be starting. IMHO if you screw up in a way that they can't understand you're going to get blamed really badly -- they'll think you're just lazy and could have avoided the screw up if you put the slightest effort into it (and maybe when you were putting all your effort into it).

Also, effort isn't some magical thing that always fixes any problem. Sometimes you have to learn how to swim around the boulders because you can't move them or smash them to bits with your head (I know because I've tried...). For me the trick was trying find out what was sustainable.

calebsystem3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2015, 2:55 am

@progaspie, That is some really good information. I am starting to pick up on it for the last couple of days I have been doing really well. I have noticed that this job is training me to get better in my weakest spots and that to me is true growth.
Ok so my job is a 911 dispatcher/jailer at the Sheriff dept. Trying to move my way up and this is the bottom. I wanted to be a cop to help others out but the more I get into this field the more I realize that I would be alot better at investigations. I am sure that its asp but I notice patterns and pick up on small things that others do not notice.
Today they asked me to be part time officer. :) I guess that they see my potential.

That is another thing good about asp. People can tell that you are intelligent even if you can't make sexual jokes with the "boys". People really pick up on it.