Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you feel uncomfortable in the presence of authority?
Yes 84%  84%  [ 16 ]
No 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

ExeterChris
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2007, 7:01 am

I'm not talking about actually obeying authority - just aware of it being there.

If I'm walking down the street, and I see a police car approaching, I find it difficult to try to act 'normal' as it goes past. I'm unsure if I should look up, or keeping looking at the ground like I normally do. Similarly, if I walk past a policeman, I become aware of them being there and will change between looking at them and looking at the ground, which probably makes me look more suspicious.

I also have this problem leaving shops. If I have gone into a shop to browse, but decide there's nothing I want to buy I feel very uncomfortable walking past a security guard to leave the store.

And yet I've never broken the law or been accused of breaking one in my life.

Is anyone else like this?

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2007, 7:06 am

I know I don't do anything wrong so it doesn't bug me.

That's my two pence worth.

Astilius
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2007, 7:13 am

Being uncomfortable in the presence of authority is common in all members of society.
It's certainly not, in itself, an AS trait.

That said, I think there can be extreme behaviours to the presence of authority that AS feeds. For example, I know of on AS individual who is cowed by authority and will take direction from any authority figure over othemselves or the instruction of others, no matter if they know the person in authority is right or not.

Such authority (the police) is an extreme of social interrelationships and as such AS individuals may founder more in these situations than in others, especially when they are aware of their poor sociability.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2007, 9:13 am

ExeterChris wrote:

I'm exactly like that. My strategy is to pretend that they aren't there. If there is a problem I'm sure they'll let me know.

There is no reason to suppress a viewpoint unless it is true, because a false viewpoint can easily be combated with facts and logic, while the truth cannot be combated except by lies which are vulnerable to refutation.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 9:58 am

ExeterChris wrote:
I'm not talking about actually obeying authority - just aware of it being there.

If I'm walking down the street, and I see a police car approaching, I find it difficult to try to act 'normal' as it goes past. I'm unsure if I should look up, or keeping looking at the ground like I normally do. Similarly, if I walk past a policeman, I become aware of them being there and will change between looking at them and looking at the ground, which probably makes me look more suspicious.

I also have this problem leaving shops. If I have gone into a shop to browse, but decide there's nothing I want to buy I feel very uncomfortable walking past a security guard to leave the store.

And yet I've never broken the law or been accused of breaking one in my life.

That me! I get so nervous around athority.It kinda makes me look stupid and like I don't have a clue. Sometimes I even dont know how to talk around athority. Which makes me look even more cluless! I just can't win!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 10:05 am

I think I have a paranoia of authority because I dont think they have to follow logical rules.A boss can fire me because they dont like the way I look a policeman can beat me up or plant evidence.I have no faith in people who dont have to follow the rules......"who watches the Watchmen"......Maybe it is because my parents were always punishing me when I didnt think I had done anything wrong(or hadnt meant to or couldnt avoid something I did)<regaurdless,it was beyond my control and didnt follow any logic that I could follow.

I have the same distrust of the government and "corporations".....they are by definition power without soul....scary stuff.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 10:45 am

I'm fine around formal authority figures, like bosses, police officers, teachers, store security, etc. Sure, they hold the power, but they're limited by law what they can do, and when they overstep the boundaries, I can easily seek recourse. If a boss fires me with no valid reason, I can go to court. If a police officers beats me, I can complain to the senior management of the police, and have the guy convicted. If a teachers gives me an unfair grade, I can take the matter with the dean.

The kind of authority figures that I'm really uncomfortable around are informal authority figures, such as bouncers. A bouncers can easily beat me unconscious, just because he doesn't like the way I looked at him. Then he'll just say I looked dangerous, people will believe him, and my insurance won't even cover my medical bills.

Security guards (not bouncers) are a little bit of both. I'm very glad they're there to protect me from vicious people who act on their base instincts and emotions. At the same time, I'm very paranoid about doing something to make the security guy think I'm dangerous (and not even realize what exactly I did), causing him to retaliate big time.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 10:46 am

chadders wrote:
I know I don't do anything wrong so it doesn't bug me.

Yeah, but they might just come up with something arbitrarily. Like you aren't wearing your shirt the right way or something.

We don't get to decide what's right and wrong, and with the people that do, it's usually pretty inconstant.