Need some advice with people playing football just outside

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 10:12 am

I'm having this horrible problem currently where some idiot decided to turn a 'park' just two meters away from my flat into a play area... some days ago they were repeatedly hitting the walls with a high-velocity ball able to destroy anything in sight with its momentum... so, as you can see, I'm just about worried... and with summer coming, this spells out a certain doom for myself, it seems... only a matter of time until one of balls gets a window and who knows what else inside. Some of these balls I observed can go up fifty feet in the sky...

So... I'm planning to stage a protest against the council until it prohibits ball play here... as I seriously don't want to spend some week or something in the cold before a window is repaired... landlord also installed blinds that cost £400, so yeah...

Damn idiots who couldn't give a f**k about others... some complete ret*d even had the GUTS to say that the children have the right to play 'peacefully'. And, I guess, I have the right to have my face smashed by a ball going who knows how many miles an hour? Right.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 1:36 pm

It's a park. And a football. And people playing, having fun, getting exercise, enjoying themselves etc. Get over it. Or move.

Doom1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm

Well its a park and kids will be kids and do stupid stuff. I did myself. Just ask them to not throw it against your fence/property.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 11:39 am

Oh yes, that will work... well, what do you know, I thought I could get more sympathy from an autistic community... PEOPLE HAVING FUN?! Oh sure, I'll guess I'll have fun when a window is smashed through! SCREW PEOPLE!! !

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

Whilst that might be annoying you can't stop people playing in a park. Nowt wrong with playing football outside, it's better than them sitting inside all day. If it's annoying you that much phone the council, what department I couldn't tell you but council would be your best bet.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 12:23 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Oh yes, that will work... well, what do you know, I thought I could get more sympathy from an autistic community... PEOPLE HAVING FUN?! Oh sure, I'll guess I'll have fun when a window is smashed through! SCREW PEOPLE!! !

People tend to be quite unsympathetic when the problem is not theirs. Some even make unkind comments. I have observed that kind of behavior in many situations. That's often what happens in bullying, too. Sorry for going off topic. Any way, I can't give you advice on that, but I at least show some sympathy.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:25 pm

I'm thinking of bypassing all this bureaucratic council nonsense and phoning either the supposed CEO or supposed leader of the council now. If people think I'm not going to bother them when they're bothering me... they're going to wake up and smell some coffee.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 1:57 pm

Mootoo wrote:
I'm thinking of bypassing all this bureaucratic council nonsense and phoning either the supposed CEO or supposed leader of the council now. If people think I'm not going to bother them when they're bothering me... they're going to wake up and smell some coffee.

Start with the council take names phone numbers and their official position that way you have some evidence that you've talked with people. if it goes nowhere go up the ladder reference that you've talked with them previously and got no satisfaction or resolution.

Good Luck

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 2:11 pm

Mootoo wrote:
it's not a matter of sympathy, more a matter of you not choosing your battles very well.
do you really want to be seen as "that as*hole who doesn't like fun" in your neighbourhood just because a ball could theoretically fly 50 feet up and potentially break your window? because it's likely(more so than the window getting broken) that you'll make yourself a target by making a big thing out of a minor irritant.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 3:48 pm

I get it in spades that the noise is aggravating as hell.

Do you rent or own?

If you rent, it's not your circus, not your monkeys. Meaning if some person sends a soccer ball through the window, that is the landlord's issue. He can light a fire under the powers that be for no ball playing. Fat chance though.

If you own, I understand you don't want to pony up for broken windows, but I think you are borrowing trouble. It hasn't happened yet. It's a park, not a nature preserve. If you were 4 replacement windows into this, you would have a case.

Is there a park curfew?

I would rather have soccer players than people passed out while high. Activity keeps the drug addicts away. If people are coming to play, addicts aren't going to squat there.

I live in a townhouse with a huge common area. People play soccer, cricket and badminton all day long. While it gets loud, I'm much rather have that then the teen tards who drink, smoke, and play music via their cars on the other side of the complex.

Is it truly the window issue or it's people being loud and gathering? A park is going to have activity and people. Last summer it was screaming 4-8 year olds from 8 am to 10 pm. I'd rather have the cricket players.