Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AshleyT
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2015, 11:17 pm

Hello!

I'm posting to ask about people's past experiences with research and what current thoughts are about Autism research and perhaps where researchers acquire their information from. Below are some questions, but don't feel like you have to answer all of them! Or any of them for that matter :).

Questions on participation

Quote:
Do you actively get involved in research as a participant?
If not, why not?
If you have taken part in research, would you do it again?
What prevents you from connecting more with researchers?

General questions
Quote:
Are you interested in Autism research?
Do you find it easy to acquire information on current Autism research?
Do you find it easy to connect or speak to Autism researchers? And would you like to be able to speak to them more?
What parts are you most interested in?

Questions on personal taste on research:
Quote:
What medium of communication would you like to use or not like to use? I.e do you like/dislike in-person interviews or do you prefer email or on-line quesionnaires?
What about Autism research do you feel could be improved?
Do you have any positive or negative experiences to share when meeting researchers and being a participant?
If you could say one thing to a researcher, what would you want to tell them?

Sources of information
I'm asking the below questions and will be asking researchers these same questions. Would be interesting to see what organisations people with Autism feel are the best and which ones are actually being used.
Quote:
What organisations are you most comfortable working with, if any?
What organisations do you feel most accurately represent the Autism community? (i.e giving good advice to parents, professionals or researchers)
Which organisations would you say are the least accurate in representing the Autism community?

Please ask if any of the questions are unclear (i'm dyslexic so not the best at using written words! :)).

Really appreciate any replies! Thankyou :).

MLG4Ever
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2015, 12:33 am

Yea I would give myself to autism research (if it does not harm me on any way and their goal is not to get rid of autism but to get understanding of autism of course!)

What organisations are you most comfortable working with, if any?
Best Buddies, Special Olympics, opportunity village (local Organization in Las Vegas)

What organizations do you feel most accurately represent the Autism community? (i.e giving good advice to parents, professionals or researchers)
Opportunity village and Best Buddies

Which organisations would you say are the least accurate in representing the Autism community?
Autism $peaks

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2015, 9:45 am

I've emailed back and forth with a few researchers over the last year or so sharing my story with them. Not behavioural researchers, but rather, biologists of various sorts - the kind studying gut flora & their link to autism.

This is because, as I shared here in January of 2014, I figured out that it's gut dysbiosis that causes or exacerbates ASD symptoms and how to effectively treat it via diet, cleanses, supplements & mass amounts of probiotics.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm

So far, I have participated in 2 experiments involving HFA adults. One was an eye-tracking experiment and another was an EEG experiment (to see how individuals synchronize body movements and brain waves following cooperative tasks).

I enjoyed participating in both experiments and hope to do so again.

Cyllya
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2015, 3:20 pm

Quote:
If not, why not?

I am not diagnosed. I have an assessment scheduled with a place that is also an autism research center, so if they diagnose me, I will try to participate.

Quote:
Are you interested in Autism research? -Yes
Do you find it easy to acquire information on current Autism research? -No
Do you find it easy to connect or speak to Autism researchers? -No
And would you like to be able to speak to them more? -Yes
What parts are you most interested in? -Anything addressing the problems that autistic adults tend to have, especially executive dysfunction

Quote:
What medium of communication would you like to use or not like to use? I.e do you like/dislike in-person interviews or do you prefer email or on-line quesionnaires?
Do you have any positive or negative experiences to share when meeting researchers and being a participant?

Online/email is definately easier.

I feel like we need more research on the broad autism phenotype, have it distinguished from NT, and have BAP people as a control/comparison group in most autism research. Lots of people hate BAP and want to wipe it out, but BAP is not a bad thing, and it should be the "target" for cures and treatment. ASD is basically BAP plus a bunch of problems. If someone was legitimately cured of ASD, they'd become BAP, not NT.

AshleyT
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

Cyllya wrote:
Quote:
If not, why not?

I am not diagnosed. I have an assessment scheduled with a place that is also an autism research center, so if they diagnose me, I will try to participate.

Quote:
Are you interested in Autism research? -Yes
Do you find it easy to acquire information on current Autism research? -No
Do you find it easy to connect or speak to Autism researchers? -No
And would you like to be able to speak to them more? -Yes
What parts are you most interested in? -Anything addressing the problems that autistic adults tend to have, especially executive dysfunction

Quote:

Online/email is definately easier.

I feel like we need more research on the broad autism phenotype, have it distinguished from NT, and have BAP people as a control/comparison group in most autism research. Lots of people hate BAP and want to wipe it out, but BAP is not a bad thing, and it should be the "target" for cures and treatment. ASD is basically BAP plus a bunch of problems. If someone was legitimately cured of ASD, they'd become BAP, not NT.

Could you please explain what BAP is? I couldn't find information on it =).

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

BAP stands for broader autism phenotype.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 11:04 pm

I've answered a few questionnaires from individual researches who have posted here on WP, but nothing else. I don't have any objections to helping with autism research, in fact I feel quite good about the idea, so I'm interested, but not a lot of requests come my way. I'm not a very proactive person.

I get the strong impression that Autism Speaks don't accurately represent the autism community. I don't know of any group that represents us particularly accurately, though that's probably because I haven't looked.

I prefer email or online questionnaires, but I've noticed that I can't properly answer a lot of questions (not particularly those about autism but about traits generally) because they expect black and white answers when the true answer is "yes and no," or otherwise lies between the allowed options. It's probably a big ask, but I'd like it if the questions were designed to better avoid that kind of problem.

AshleyT
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2015, 12:31 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I've answered a few questionnaires from individual researches who have posted here on WP, but nothing else. I don't have any objections to helping with autism research, in fact I feel quite good about the idea, so I'm interested, but not a lot of requests come my way. I'm not a very proactive person.

I get the strong impression that Autism Speaks don't accurately represent the autism community. I don't know of any group that represents us particularly accurately, though that's probably because I haven't looked.

I prefer email or online questionnaires, but I've noticed that I can't properly answer a lot of questions (not particularly those about autism but about traits generally) because they expect black and white answers when the true answer is "yes and no," or otherwise lies between the allowed options. It's probably a big ask, but I'd like it if the questions were designed to better avoid that kind of problem.

A family member with Autism brought this up with me actually!

Could you think of better ways to design questions?
Would you prefer all questions, if black and white answers required to have a box below, for example for you to type more detailed/better answers and responses?
Or would you prefer no black and white questions?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 4:16 pm

AshleyT wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Would you prefer all questions, if black and white answers required to have a box below, for example for you to type more detailed/better answers and responses?

I don't mind black and white questions if I have black and white answers to them, which does sometimes happen. I guess it would be good if the designer of the questionnaire took a good look at such questions and tried to foresee whether anybody would have a problem with them. Possibly even "beta-test" the questions on a few Aspies before releasing the definitive version. And yes, I think the option of a box for explaining my answers in more detail (where necessary) would be helpful. I wish I could remember some of the questions I've seen that have caused me trouble. I'll post again if I manage to come up with any good specific examples.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

I found plenty of examples of black and white questions for which my only accurate answer would be "yes AND no" in the classic AQ test:

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Here are some of them, along with the kind of full, honest answers that the format of the test doesn't accept:

Q: I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own.
A: I very often find it easier to do things alone, but there's a special buzz about working together with others.

Q: I prefer to do things the same way over and over again.
A: I find standard protocols often make tasks easier, but I like altering the way I do things, in order to discover improvements to my protocols and just to make life more interesting.

Q: If I try to imagine something, I find it very easy to create a picture in my mind.
A: I don't know. I seem to automatically create some kind of picture, but it's often rather an abstract one. I can create something more concrete, but with nothing like photographic clarity.

Q: I frequently get so strongly absorbed in one thing that I lose sight of other things.
A: I certainly used to, but these days I've become quite good at keeping an eye on other things, so I rarely lose sight of them.

Q: I find social situations easy.
A: Although I often find social situations virtually impossible, there have been times when I seem to have done better than the average person, and while these days I have little faith in my social abilities, what feedback I get seems to suggest that I do a lot better than I imagine.

Forced to choose between "definitely agree," "slightly agree," "slightly disagree," and "definitely disagree," I frequently found myself reluctantly choosing "slightly disagree" or "slightly agree." They seemed equally close to (or distant from) the truth, and "definitely agree" or "definitely disagree" would have usually been quite incorrect. I took the whole test and ended up with a score of only 23, which is hardly an Aspie at all. Yet I'm a diagnosed Aspie! And I honestly believe my formal diagnosis is correct.

I think such tests as the AQ can be very misleading. The AQ has been frequently used as a screening test for ASD, and a low score would normally tell the clinician that further testing for ASD was not indicated. There is a new test that at least attempts to address one of the problems my "grey" answers point to - i.e. that experienced Aspies tend to learn how to compensate for their traits - but the problem of black and white questions remains, in fact it's even worse, because the new test only allows responses of "true" or "false." Even the AQ test allowed the client to leave questions blank, but not this new one.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism-quiz.htm

I find it hard to understand why this problem is so obvious to me but not obvious to the designers of the questions. Is it because the designer is neurotypical and the client is autistic, or am I unusual? I know of one guy who objected to questions in a similar way, and he was labelled "oppositional-defiant" for his troubles. My feeling is that he was right to object, and that his clear view of the problems inherent in the questions was due to autism. Or are we both missing some nugget of wisdom that would allow us to answer such questionnaires with ease?

AshleyT
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
AshleyT wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I don't mind black and white questions if I have black and white answers to them, which does sometimes happen. I guess it would be good if the designer of the questionnaire took a good look at such questions and tried to foresee whether anybody would have a problem with them. Possibly even "beta-test" the questions on a few Aspies before releasing the definitive version. And yes, I think the option of a box for explaining my answers in more detail (where necessary) would be helpful. I wish I could remember some of the questions I've seen that have caused me trouble. I'll post again if I manage to come up with any good specific examples.

I think that's a brilliant suggestion :). I'm curious now how many researchers do this and I will find out and post my findings.

At the same time i'm speaking to you guys, and WP are always extremely helpful! I'm trying to speak to researchers to find out what they are doing. Then to see the gap!

Curious, if you had a source that people posted to requesting research help, would that interest you?

(i'm going to read your posts more throroughly tomorrow, just had a quick call and had to dash but wanted to say thankyou so much for your incredibly useful information)