Do you think autism is always the main issue?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 11:24 pm

I have some autistic traits, but they're not my main issues.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 12:24 am

I think that many of the issues are caused by others constantly telling autistics how they should act and look. I remember when I lived on my own and picked my friends. I had a good job and most of the time I was doing great. When a few at work decided to tell me that I wasn't smiling enough, that I looked angry, when they later said that I was smiling too much like I wasn't taking what they were saying seriously, blah, blah, blah I started to get a little stressed. The more people are on my behind because I don't talk about the BS they talk about, the more stressed I become. Meanwhile I have a few friends that just accepted me as I was and with those people, I can talk about anything, even chit chat...

Here we are so many years later and I was doing really well, that is until I ran into a bunch of moms in a so-called support for autism group, similar to Autism Speaks, and my anxiety has gone through the roof. Listening to their BS has made me lose it. I can't deal with them anymore. They drive me insane. My anxiety is through the roof, of course, they think I am crazy now. No, I am not crazy, but anyone who is constantly told that their thinking is wrong, the way they smile is wrong, the way they talk is wrong, the way they do everything is wrong will eventually lose it. It seems that those people who claim to have empathy have absolutely none and are in fact mentally abusive. I am worn out.

So no, autism helped me focus greatly at work. I had a great job, I had peace at home and I had an amazing life, being surrounded by the wrong people is the problem.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 12:58 am

I think that mainstream society is the main issue. I've felt that way since I was in Grade 9. That and the horrible legacy that Hitler's left behind.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Nov 2015, 2:21 am

I would say anxiety is definitely my main issue and I guess not inherent to the condition.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:24 am

I think anxiety is my main issue followed by learning disorder.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:30 am

League_Girl wrote:

What learning disorder?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 2:39 am

DevilKisses wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What learning disorder?

I have no idea, they never told me. I had troubles with abstract concepts and I had troubles listening through class and it would always put me to sleep and I could never keep up with correcting papers with other students because the teacher would go too fast and I had troubles in reading comprehension and doing reports and I can't like read a textbook and then answer questions from it but yet I did fine in drivers ed because it was concrete and straight from the book when we would do a quiz. I also did fine in Spanish because it was all concrete and all memorization. I also could never do math well because it was also too abstract for me and I always struggled in story problems because I can't figure out if it's addiction or subtraction. I could never take notes either because I have no idea what is important and what isn't important. But if I didn't have this issue, I would have gone off to college and get a degree and live a better life and have a higher paying job instead of working uneducated jobs like I am not smart. But that's life so I am happy with what I have now than being upset about this.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 3:23 am

My main problem is anxiety. I used to think I didn't have friends because I'm on the spectrum. I've since come to the conclusion that I don't have friends because I'm so anxious around people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 5:13 am

I'd say my autism is the main thing, but my severe dyspraxia is a close second. A lot of symptoms of both overlap.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 5:27 am

League_Girl wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What learning disorder?

I have no idea, they never told me. I had troubles with abstract concepts and I had troubles listening through class and it would always put me to sleep and I could never keep up with correcting papers with other students because the teacher would go too fast and I had troubles in reading comprehension and doing reports and I can't like read a textbook and then answer questions from it but yet I did fine in drivers ed because it was concrete and straight from the book when we would do a quiz. I also did fine in Spanish because it was all concrete and all memorization. I also could never do math well because it was also too abstract for me and I always struggled in story problems because I can't figure out if it's addiction or subtraction. I could never take notes either because I have no idea what is important and what isn't important. But if I didn't have this issue, I would have gone off to college and get a degree and live a better life and have a higher paying job instead of working uneducated jobs like I am not smart. But that's life so I am happy with what I have now than being upset about this.

Sometimes disorder just means different. I think lots of bright and intelligent people have been tarnished with disorder, because they learn differently.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2015, 11:23 pm

My autism is always the main issue.

Lemme see...I live alone, I only step outside my front door once a week for a half-hour trip to the supermarket...the whole world (and most notably the people within it) is like poison for me that I can only take in small doses and there are only two people in real life, that I speak to (but very infrequently now) and that's my mother and daughter.

People tell me...'go outside and make friends'...'join a club'...'have a hobby outside'....'meet people'...but my autism prevents me from even having a single idea how to go about doing this. My autism totally isolates me and cuts me off from the rest of the world...I cannot communicate at all. I just sit and nod a lot...

So, I go online, hoping to 'talk to people' that I can't talk to in real life and get cyberbullied to hell and back...leading me into homicidal rage...leading my whole body to again overstimulate due to a negative emotion (I usually don't feel any emotion at all)...so to have such a very strong 'killing people' emotion come over me, my body and whole nervous system totally collapses before I can do 'anything stupid'.

Yes, I just had another nervous breakdown about a week ago and I've been in bed all this time just trying to rest/sleep it off until I get back to 'aspie normal'.

I have other conditions as well....PTSD, Manic Depression, Anxiety and Schizotypal Personality Disorder...but they are all caused by and due to the fact I have Asperger's Disorder, because if I didn't have this, I feel they would all just fade away of their own accord.

Autism is my main issue, but I cannot speak for others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:06 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What learning disorder?

Sometimes disorder just means different. I think lots of bright and intelligent people have been tarnished with disorder, because they learn differently.

I do believe different learning style is considered a disorder because if you learn too differently than what the school teaches, then you are considered learning disabled. I found out education used to be more concrete so I might have done fine in the days and not be branded as being learning disabled. Then they changed it to make it more abstract because they want to be sure that students are learning so there will be more kids with disabilities if you know what I mean. Also don't get me started on what they did with elementary school math. How the hell am I going to help my kids with homework now in second grade or third grade if they have made it abstract? I have seen normal people struggle with it too in the videos when they try and help their kids with their math work so they are trying to do the problems. They don't want 5+5=10 anymore.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:01 am

It depends on the situation, and what I'm trying to accomplish.

Autism is the main reason why I don't have friends, or socialize much with my family.

But I don't think it would be that much of a problem at work. I think I could focus on my job, do it well, and be reasonably polite to my co-workers. In my case, it's Lyme disease and bipolar disorder that make it difficult to work (to the extent that I've never managed to succeed at it in the past.)