Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

supercrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 11:19 pm

Hi all, first time poster. Adult-diagnosed aspie.

Anyway, I was in a t-bone crash almost 2 years ago. My injuries are all soft-tissue and nerve related, which is bad news considering that I have used music (specifically playing violin/viola) as my coping strategy. It's carried me through everything, even PTSD!

Now I have to limit what I do, it's very painful, and I am extremely frustrated that my body can't do the things I spent a lifetime (including 6 years of university) studying.

Within the next month, I need to pick a number (with my lawyer's help) for settlement! Most of it is straightforward and quantifiable (like ongoing treatments), but I'm getting stuck on the non-pecuniary stuff. Do I drag out my ASD diagnosis as a way to quantify the emotional pain I've been through? Has anyone else been through this?

Advice greatly appreciated!

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 6:17 am

supercrayon wrote:
Hi all, first time poster. Adult-diagnosed aspie.

Anyway, I was in a t-bone crash almost 2 years ago. My injuries are all soft-tissue and nerve related, which is bad news considering that I have used music (specifically playing violin/viola) as my coping strategy. It's carried me through everything, even PTSD!

Now I have to limit what I do, it's very painful, and I am extremely frustrated that my body can't do the things I spent a lifetime (including 6 years of university) studying.

Within the next month, I need to pick a number (with my lawyer's help) for settlement! Most of it is straightforward and quantifiable (like ongoing treatments), but I'm getting stuck on the non-pecuniary stuff. Do I drag out my ASD diagnosis as a way to quantify the emotional pain I've been through? Has anyone else been through this?

Advice greatly appreciated!

I don't see how your ASD diagnosis would help you. Better to blame any problems you have on the crash. Otherwise it's going to look like your problems are ASD related, not crash related.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 6:41 am

Put any ideas you might have to your lawyer.

All in all, though, to reach the optimum settlement, everything should be blamed on the crash itself--as stated by OregonGuy.

I hope you recover full use of those parts which enable you to play your violin well.

supercrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Dec 2015, 11:56 pm

I don't think I was clear in my original post. I have to assign a numeric value to the quality of life lost because of the crash. To me that's like assigning an absolute value to something that's totally abstract. The loss of quality of life is immense, and I suspect that being the way I am is actually hindering my recovery.

I tried to find instances where ASD was a consideration for psychological recovery, but no luck. I was hoping someone on this forum had a bit of insight, even some advice on alleviating the importance of music in my life so that I can use other things as coping strategies.

Thanks again!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:36 am

supercrayon wrote:
I don't think I was clear in my original post. I have to assign a numeric value to the quality of life lost because of the crash. To me that's like assigning an absolute value to something that's totally abstract. The loss of quality of life is immense, and I suspect that being the way I am is actually hindering my recovery.

I tried to find instances where ASD was a consideration for psychological recovery, but no luck. I was hoping someone on this forum had a bit of insight, even some advice on alleviating the importance of music in my life so that I can use other things as coping strategies.

Thanks again!

Why hasn't your attorney been talking with your physicians and therapists regarding your recovery progress, or lack thereof? He should be the one who should be determining what should be a fair and equitable settlement, given your condition.