Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PaulAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

btbnnyr wrote:
In objective acoustic analysis of autistic people's speaking voices, greater pitch variation was found than in NT.

Source? That would be interesting as I hear a lot of monotone or close to monotone.

Professionally diagnosed January 2016 in my mid-30s. I always knew I was a little different but always thought it was quantitative not qualitative and I don't like labels I don't need. Now I finally understand a lot I didn't before. (Technically now called ASD in the USA but I really don't care about autistic v aspie for terminology.)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:55 am

I have plenty of experience hearing my voice in old broadcast news reports. Sounds okay to me, and I suspect that I wouldn't have been asked to do hundreds of such reports if my voice was, in any way, annoying.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 9:41 am

I don't think I have a monotone voice. I do have trouble pronouncing certain sounds, so it sounds like I have some kind of accent.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 9:43 am

I've been told I have a good speaking voice. Worked as a midnight DJ (one night a week) at a local radio station when I was 16. Didn't last long due to lack of maturity and doing stupid things though. But, wow...got laid by college chicks.

When I am in showboat mode, I am extremely animated. Been called 'dramatic' by people at times.

When in regular mode, less so and down to monotones.

Volume modulation is a serious problem with me. I have been told I have 'a boomer' of a voice. But it's not constant. It goes up and down. Same with my hearing.

But, when I hear myself, I feel I sound mush mouthed and bit of a Sean Connery type of sibilant 'S' sound.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 9:55 am

I have been told that I have a great voice, singing and otherwise. I have perfect pitch and I love music, I just not very comfortable singing around people.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ArtGeek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2016, 4:19 pm

My "natural" voice is not monotone, but is fast, high pitched, and has an unusual cadence (can relate to the other person who described theirs similarly). But I learned very early on in childhood, that my way of speaking was unacceptable and weird, so I copied other people and for most of my life I have learned to speak like the person I am speaking to (not to the point of obvious mimicry, but enough so that if you heard me speak to different people at different times, you can tell I am doing it).

This creates some interesting moments when speaking to more than one person at a time (having to choose who to speak like), but I find people like you more when you sound like them. It has gotten me out of a lot of jams.

I also relate to the people who said they have nice radio voices, as this was one of the side effects of my lifelong imitation; I developed a lovely broadcasting voice & have been doing radio voiceovers for over 12 years. Make your weakness your strength, and all that. But yeah, normally I speak like a hyper five year old in private.

Biggest takeaway is that whatever you speak like naturally, you may be able to change your public speech patterns/tonalities if they cause problems. Doesn't mean you don't have Asperger's or that it's not difficult.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

As a child my voice was very monotone. I remember that several teachers had commented on it in the past. I had no social skills either up until around age 18-19. I watched many many sitcoms, television shows, movies and assimilated their speech, building my own social skills and variation in my tone of voice by mimicking what I saw on tv and movies and stitching the parts together. Mimicking isn't always under my control. If I start to listen to enough of a certain character in tv/movies or someone in real life I start to talk like they do.

PaulAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

ArtGeek wrote:
But yeah, normally I speak like a hyper five year old in private.

I can relate a bit. People tend to say I'll often speak too fast.

Professionally diagnosed January 2016 in my mid-30s. I always knew I was a little different but always thought it was quantitative not qualitative and I don't like labels I don't need. Now I finally understand a lot I didn't before. (Technically now called ASD in the USA but I really don't care about autistic v aspie for terminology.)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

[off-topic]

PaulAspie wrote:
I was about to say that a British accent usually sounds educated

I'm sure there are many Brummies and Scousers who would be very glad to hear that for a change! (UK readers will know what I mean! :wink: )

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 9:02 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
[off-topic]
PaulAspie wrote:
I was about to say that a British accent usually sounds educated

I'm sure there are many Brummies and Scousers who would be very glad to hear that for a change! (UK readers will know what I mean! :wink: )
What? No gits?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 11:39 pm

I have been told I sound British, but I have never been told I "sound autistic".

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 12:14 am

I can vary my voice when reading stories to kids, but my natural voice can tend to be more monotone. Part of the reason to me is shyness (in denial of social anxiety) and if I was outgoing and more myself my voice would sound better/ok.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 12:25 am

Noca wrote:
Mimicking isn't always under my control. If I start to listen to enough of a certain character in tv/movies or someone in real life I start to talk like they do.

Yeah, same. After watching the Back to the Future movies I found myself saying "Great scott!" a lot even when I was not trying to make a reference to the movies. This can be a good thing, ever since I have started watching the YouTuber Jacksepticeye I have been more upbeat and energetic, although I have found myself fighting off the urge to swear more often. If I moved somewhere where everyone had a different accent then I would probobly be using it by about day 2. I can also do very good impressions, as you might immagine.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2016, 12:52 am

No my voice isnt monotone.
I'm either really loud or quite quiet depending on whether or not I'm excitable or trying my best to be understanding and sensitive.
I will say though that although I'm told that I'm quite expressive, there is often a very big difference in how I believe I am expressing myself and how others perceive my expressions.
This has caused quite a few problems throughout my life, and I have come to the understanding that its more the other persons problem rather than mine. And unless its causing arguments then taking the attitude of letting what will be will be is the best course of action

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2016, 6:05 pm

Apparently I have a monotone voice. To quote a friend of mine:"By the way, are you sleep deprived? Or is that normal? You always sound like you're planning a murder or something like that." I really try not to sound like this so sometimes I exaggerate my feelings but it seems like it's not working. I have problems regulating the volume of my voice which makes it even harder for me not to sound weird.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 6:11 pm

It depends on my mood actually. I generally don't have aspie voice, but if I'm tired or bored it's all monotone because I want people to leave me the hell alone, lol.