Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

icewing726
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2016, 8:55 pm

Hi first time poster, and just for the record I'm not sure if I saw a psychiatrist or psychologist (I'm gonna use the word psychiatrist).

So in short, I saw a VA psychiatrist the other day to discuss an anxiety disorder and was told after the session that
Aspergers is his specialty and I definitely have it. I decided to take the tests online and scored a 24 out of 50 on one and a 98ish out of 200 on another (basically the first said I may have tendencies and the second said I'm normal). Just curious if I should trust his opinion or not.

Extended Background in case it helps:
-I'm extremely monotone (told this by several people to include the recruiting firm that helped me get a job out of the military)
-I'm routinely told that I look tense (posture comments told to loosen up)
-Enjoy solitude
-Love programming macros in excel (extreme hobby I just discovered that the psychiatrist said might as well be the only symptom needed)
-Definantly dont see the point in small talk, greetings, or other "necessary" social tasks
-Parents apparently suspected this while I grew up and my wife tried to get me to look into this about a year ago

Thanks for the feedback, I'm definently curious.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 10:44 pm

First of all any opinions you hear on this website is strictly an unofficial opinion, no one here is qualified to give you a diagnoses, all we know are the symptoms of aspergers and autism and our own experiences.

Second of all, you should see a psychologist who is specialized in autism or even a neurologist, please, don't see a psychiatrist unless you want a prescription for some meds.

That being said, there isn't enough information here to even suggest autism.

As a young child, did you have social and communication difficulties? Such as inability to speak or affectively form a coherent sentence, or the opposite; advanced speech and a higher vocabulary than average. Social difficulties are AWLAYS present with a diagnoses, there is a argument that some people on the spectrum are good at socializing but these are likely learned and took time to learn. These social difficulties can be characterized as not knowing and understanding personal boundaries, not picking up body language or facial expressions, not being able to maintain eye contact or even having difficulty looking at a person at all while speaking. Relationships will often be difficult to create and maintain and emotional difficulties often come with the diagnoses.

Social difficulties are just a small part of the disability, sensory issues are almost always present in autistic people, this means you tend to feel and process sensory input more or less intensely than average, this means more than just disliking bright lights, in fact you may not be able to tell a dim light from a bright light at all. This also means sensory input can be down right intolerable and cause meltdowns and shutdowns or dissociation. This means that when there is too much sensory input the way you process the world around you may become distorted and doing simple things may becoming challenging or impossible; this is called sensory overload and everyone experiences it differently. Not all autistic people stim but some do, sometimes these stims go "under the radar" because they are seen as common or socially acceptable and are not brought any attention.

Obsessions, repetition, routines and ritualistic behaviour is another HUGE symptom, it can be expressed in so many different ways but are mostly present in some shape or form or another. They are characterized by a dependence and need for some sort of sameness and control in life. Obsessions or Special interests are common and characterized by a study of a specific and narrow topic, and can be keeping notes, drawings and/or records of said topic. Often times these repetitions can cause a few issues such as in school, refusing to study anything else other than one topic or having difficulty making conversation with others due to talking obsessively about one thing. Routines are a big thing as well, a autistic person can not often function without a steady predictable routine, a break in this routine or lack of can be more than stressful on an autistic person and sometimes straight up disabling.

Finally it can cause executive functioning issues, such as difficulty with self monitoring (not knowing when enough is enough IE food, alchohol,) and remembering steps to a specific sequence (cooking, setting something up)

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 10:57 pm

All that aside, us late diagnosed people learn to get along and that can cloud test scores.

icewing726
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2016, 5:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess at the end of the day I am who I am whether or not this label applies.