Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:07 pm

SteveK wrote:
Close allegiance to family and/or a few close friends; tend to be homebodies

AS people don't necessarily have such an allegiance to family

Hmm...well, I'm a "homebody" I guess, and certainly only have an allegiance to a few close family and (sort of) friends.

Quote:
Sensitive and concerned about what other think of them. Tend to be self-conscious and worriers

AS people are often blunt

I can sometimes be accidentally blunt (not so much anymore-I mostly know what to say/not say now). But I'm also a "worrier" I guess, and kind of self-conscious.

Quote:
Very discreet and deliberate in dealing with others

AS people at least start out being blunt, etc....

I guess I tend towards the "discreet" end of things, preferring a one on one conversation without others listening in. (I can be quite annoyed by others listening to personal stuff I'm talking to someone about.)

Quote:
Tend to maintain a reserved, self-restrained demeanor around others

AS people don't necessarily

I'm mostly reserved around people I don't know, because I don't know how I'm supposed to act. Sometimes I can be wacky around people I do know (well, occasionally).

Quote:
Characteristics of the Avoidant Personality Disorder:

Unwilling to become involved with people unless certain of being liked; easily hurt by criticism or disapproval

I think AS people may start out trying!

Hmm...I can be easily hurt by criticism, and don't like it when I get the sense people don't like me.

Quote:
Fear being embarrassed by blushing, crying, or showing signs of anxiety in front of other people

I don't think AS people do.

I don't think I do this. I have no idea what signs of anxiety I would be showing, so I guess I can't worry about it :D

Quote:
Tend to be underachievers, and find it difficult to focus on job tasks or hobbies

AS people tend to excel in areas they specialize in, and often others.

I'm definitely an underachiever, basically because I can't navigate through what I'm supposed to do to finish college or get a higher paying job, etc. (and I'm comfortable where I am). On the other hand, I have razer focus on stuff I'm interesting in, and will spend hours thinking about it, researching it, etc. (It would be nice if I could get hired somewhere to fix computers, since I do that very well...but actually getting in to that position is the problem for me).

So...that's that, for what it's worth :D

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:53 pm

Ramsus wrote:
If they've said you don't have it.. you probably don't. You're just someone with a lack of social skills.

You make it sound like that's "nothing"! ;)

I do agree with your response, but lacking social skills is probably not something to be sweeped under the carpet ;)

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:12 pm

beautifulspam wrote:
I'm confused...you say you're "unable to get diagnosed." If you thought you had scarlet fever, and 7 doctors told you that you had a cold would you complain that you were "unable to get diagnosed"

Having "known" Norah online for many years, I'd say yes, definitely. (I always "liked" you Norah but it pains me that you are still so desperately scrabbling for a diagnosis after what, four years that I first read the same attempts on Delphi? You are you, you are a wonderful human being who is valid and worthy and likeable just the way you are! You don't need this diagnosis to make you complete!)

Last edited by Noetic on 05 May 2007, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:19 pm

SteveK wrote:
It DOES look like AvPD can be acquired.

Indeed - slap someone in the face enough and tell them they are worthless or inept, and they will start believing it :(

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:30 pm

Hmm...is it possible to have both AS *and* AvPD?

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:32 pm

Wolfpup wrote:

I don't see why not.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:43 pm

Wolfpup wrote:

Sure but if all problems easily fit into AvPD then AS doesn't come into it... but yeah you can have ANY PD alongside AS...

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:52 pm

agentcyclosarin wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:

I don't see why not.

Noetic wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:

Sure but if all problems easily fit into AvPD then AS doesn't come into it... but yeah you can have ANY PD alongside AS...

Okay. I was wondering because I was physically and emotionally abused growing up, and fit some of the AvPD things (not nearly enough for the DSM criteria), but also fit the AS things (as near as I can tell), and AS is the only thing I've ever found that explains why I am the way I am.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Close allegiance to family and/or a few close friends; tend to be homebodies

AS people don't necessarily have such an allegiance to family

I am a homebody, have allegiance to a few close friends, and somewhat to my extended family--I do avoid them but I would come through for them as best I could. My immediate family (including my kids), sure, I have allegiance to.

Quote:
Sensitive and concerned about what other think of them. Tend to be self-conscious and worriers

AS people are often blunt

I end up being both-- self conscious and then, intentionally or not, blunt.

Quote:
Very discreet and deliberate in dealing with others

AS people at least start out being blunt, etc....

Well, again, often I **think** I'm being cautious when it turns out I was being blunt!

Quote:
Tend to maintain a reserved, self-restrained demeanor around others

AS people don't necessarily

This one is harder... sometimes I am reserved, other times not. I tend just to remain quiet.

Quote:
Characteristics of the Avoidant Personality Disorder:

Unwilling to become involved with people unless certain of being liked; easily hurt by criticism or disapproval

I think AS people may start out trying!

Well, I tend to take being disliked and criticized as a given, so no, this doesn't really apply to me!

Quote:
Fear being embarrassed by blushing, crying, or showing signs of anxiety in front of other people

I don't think AS people do.

No... I don't really care about that. I don't cry easily, anyway.

Quote:
Tend to be underachievers, and find it difficult to focus on job tasks or hobbies

AS people tend to excel in areas they specialize in, and often others.

In some ways I'm an underachiever, in other ways I'm very productive.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:17 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
Okay. I was wondering because I was physically and emotionally abused growing up, and fit some of the AvPD things (not nearly enough for the DSM criteria), but also fit the AS things (as near as I can tell), and AS is the only thing I've ever found that explains why I am the way I am.

Then it sounds like the other "crap" (the bad sh*t) was just built on top of AS...

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:22 pm

Wolfpup wrote:

s**t happens indeed, alongside AS I too have other diagnosis.
Its not uncommon to have splashes of or traits of other things alongside the other and sure, if life was hell of course more would be piled on. The thing with PD's though is most of them can be treated/aided in one way or another unlike AS which is a little more assuring that we can atleast sooth one dx.

Though with things like PTSD, AvPD and BPD there isn't much GOOD that comes from them as there can be a lot of good that comes from AS.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 May 2007, 5:38 pm

i think you should just be yourself. i wouldnt worry about it too much, being diagnosed or not doesnt really do anything for you anyways :D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:45 pm

Norah, though I'm dx I can relate a lot to what you going through. I always knew I problems. I was right, lots of them, but it was a hard struggle finding out. I don't really see AS as a problem but a relief knowing. Anyway I had/have SA too. In fact my friends are SA.

What I would suggest is going to see a clinical psychologist. Some do have experience with ASD and generally you should find it better than going to see psychiatrist. Typically a psychiatrist have a short time to make a diagnosis. If you're going a shrink every week they have plenty of time to make a diagnosis. One thing that I would advise is don't treat all your problems as one thing. Otherwise you won't be able to eliminate that s**t. Going to my shrink really helped me with SA and she worked on specific areas like my eye contact. A psychiatrist won't do that for you. About a year on she started to mention about Asperger’s causally, but I was a bit angry and the time and not sure what she was on about. Then six months later she told me. One and a half years, how about that for a dagnosis!?! Plus all the work that she did with me wasn't in vain.

I've still got some problems but I will try and keep pushing. I guess finding out about my AS was something I never anticipated.

I would find a good chartered psychologist definitely. You can ask them for their accreditation. There is a website you can look them up to make sure they are legit.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:06 pm

Interesting. Person X thought I had Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and later, as he had gotten to know me better thought I had AS (which I had never heard of). Actually I guess I don't totally fit C-PTSD as I don't really relieve stuff that happened. My high anxiety level seems to be the big thing that might be left over from/caused by C-PTSD...if I fit that.

Weirdly, what I *do* relive are stupid things I've said wrong in social situations-even stuff from a few years ago when I misunderstood and said the wrong thing to a drive through person at Mcdonalds. Silly stuff like that will pop in my head and make me think I'm an idiot.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:16 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
Interesting. Person X thought I had Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and later, as he had gotten to know me better thought I had AS (which I had never heard of). Actually I guess I don't totally fit C-PTSD as I don't really relieve stuff that happened. My high anxiety level seems to be the big thing that might be left over from/caused by C-PTSD...if I fit that.

Weirdly, what I *do* relive are stupid things I've said wrong in social situations-even stuff from a few years ago when I misunderstood and said the wrong thing to a drive through person at Mcdonalds. Silly stuff like that will pop in my head and make me think I'm an idiot.

A lot of people with AS also have PTSD...

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 6:20 pm

Wolfpup wrote:

Blocking out things is a typical PTSD symptom and way of coping. I've just started unlocking some of my memories, things I didn't even remember happening until now. The mind does strange things. Also, I do the same thing in relation to 'reliving' stupid s**t but feeling nothing towards the really damaging things, that in itself - numbness - is also pretty typical than add AS symptoms such as apathy towards happenings, unable to grasp or comprehend emotional foundations, ect.

noetic wrote:

A lot of people with AS also have PTSD...

Which makes sense.