Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Live330
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2015, 4:21 pm

Does anyone else with AS have irregular breathing? A few months ago, I had what doctors called a "panic attack" where my breathing became so fast that I froze up. The problem is though, in that moment I wasn't "panicked" at all, had almost no stress in my life, and wasn't really worried. Is irregular breathing an AS symptom? Anyone else have experience with this or know why this happened?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 4:28 pm

Sometimes I have to concentrate on my breathing. Like three seconds in my nose and three seconds out of my mouth.

I suppose it does make it become regular again. so yes then in that case.

I've never actually thought about it before to be honest.

It's just something I do.

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2015, 4:35 pm

Live330 wrote:
Does anyone else with AS have irregular breathing? A few months ago, I had what doctors called a "panic attack" where my breathing became so fast that I froze up. The problem is though, in that moment I wasn't "panicked" at all, had almost no stress in my life, and wasn't really worried. Is irregular breathing an AS symptom? Anyone else have experience with this or know why this happened?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/children-wi ... res-study/

Some autistics have irregular facial features, which might cause difficulty with breathing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalem ... timulation

This condition is possibly related to autism, and is caused by lowered potassium levels. NTs also experience lowered potassium levels when they exercise too much and experience shortness of breath

(Yes, I panicked in my previous thread lol and I didn't mean to)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 10:19 pm

I get out of breath very easily.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 12:50 am

Omg my son breaths from his abdomen instead of his chest and as a result easily get out of breath and sweats from working so hard, an OT mentioned that breathing is a primative reflex that most people are born with however breathing is controlled from the same part of the brain that also is effected by autism.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 4:37 am

Justeve wrote:
Omg my son breaths from his abdomen instead of his chest and as a result easily get out of breath and sweats from working so hard, an OT mentioned that breathing is a primative reflex that most people are born with however breathing is controlled from the same part of the brain that also is effected by autism.

This is very interesting. When I first noticed my breathing is when I made videos of places I visited and could really hear myself breathing, like it is labored. Did not know it was an autism symptom.

This is a good example of how my breathing sounds in this video I filmed.

Is that how your son sounds?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 5:13 am

Justeve wrote:

I breath from my abdomen but I find it helps me to regulate my breathing.

I'm ok until (like now) my breathing is brought to my attention and then I have to regulate it again.

3 seconds in an 3 seconds out.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 6:32 am

EzraS wrote:
Justeve wrote:

This is very interesting. When I first noticed my breathing is when I made videos of places I visited and could really hear myself breathing, like it is labored. Did not know it was an autism symptom.

Is that how your son sounds?

It doesn't quite sound like that but you can see his breathing as his stomach sucks in and out and he sucks his windpipe in (similar to asthma) from working hard to breath...he gets out of breath quicker than his peers although he is phiscally stronger and also because he can't regulate he s breathing when he is out of breath.

His OT has worked on long slow breaths with him but nothing has changed....I remember when he had his first paediatrician checkup outside of hospital when he was 5weeks old a comment was made about the way he was breathing and that he was doing it the hard way.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

I hold my breath a lot. I don't even know I am doing that a lot of the time.

Wreck It Ralph

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 10:01 am

I sometimes realise i am holding my breath, and have to start breathing again. Stress?

KwisatzHaderach
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

I've never had a full on panic attack but irregular breathing when I get nervous is a problem for me. When I exercise I often hold my breath without even realising it, making the exercise more difficult. I can't seem to regulate my breath as well as most neurotypicals can.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 4:24 pm

Justeve wrote:
His OT has worked on long slow breaths with him but nothing has changed....I remember when he had his first paediatrician checkup outside of hospital when he was 5weeks old a comment was made about the way he was breathing and that he was doing it the hard way.

My PT does that during my sessions, but it is difficult to maintain and hard to remember it throughout the day.

I also sometimes hold my breath like I forgot how to breathe and then gasp for air.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 4:43 pm

I wonder if it has to do with a kind of proprioception issue. I have been told that Autistic people have issues with proprioception so I wonder if we don't breathe as unconsciously as other people do. I would be interested to find out. Sometimes when I have an anxiety attack it really affects my breathing as well. It's almost like breathing becomes something I have to really think about doing during those times.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 5:08 pm

Now this thread has me all interested in finding out if there is more to this. I googled breathing and Autism and here is the first article I found. Very interesting and reads very true for me. I will research this more.
http://www.treatbreathinginautism.com/causes/

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

Here is one that is even more enlightening. Check this out.
http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/ ... way-shapes

Wreck It Ralph

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran