Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm

Do you talk much as a way of stimming? Since I was about six years old, I spoke alot (even with very unclear speech)...
I think mine is somewhat impulsive and it does annoy me sometimes. Odd thing is, I do not do so "because I like to hear myself".

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

What do you find yourself talking about?

I love talking, its my primary interest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:56 pm

If you verbalize as a stim then you're kinda crossing the boundry into tourettes syndrome country I would think.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 8:50 pm

Dennis Prichard wrote:
What do you find yourself talking about?

As in asking questions about different things or making comments.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If you verbalize as a stim then you're kinda crossing the boundry into tourettes syndrome country I would think.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have Tourette's, and a lot my tics have come in the forms of certain words or sounds.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm

I meant because of ASD.

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2016, 2:18 am

When I am nervous and anxious I ramble. Because I think people expect me to talk to them. This is especially when I am in confined space with them. Like in their car. Normally I am very quiet individual. But then I get paranoid as I am trapped in their vehicle. Or when I'm alone with someone and cannot blend into the crowd. I just talk to them and say some off the wall crap because I cannot think for the life of me what normal conversation is, but think that's the expectation for someone in someone's vehicle.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 2:35 am

I talk to myself as a stim regularly. I do things like singing, doing imitations, and vocalizing my thoughts. It's always very awkward when somebody walks by and I wonder how much of that they heard. I wouldn't call it impulsive though, if I want I can just stop it and do some other stim instead any time.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:25 am

Lumi wrote:
I meant because of ASD.

We all understand that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:54 am

I have seen several asd kids doing this at school. I can sometimes start talking a blue streak to my cousin as a type of stim.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:28 pm

You mean talking to yourself, I do that all the time. Well Technically. I think it is quite common of those on the spectrum. Reason, being If you have a Imaginary Friend ( I have a few) Then it would appear you are talking to yourself... This is a common term for that.

foca
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2016, 5:54 pm

Yeah I tend to talk to myself quite a lot, never really thought of it as a stim but it could be now that I think about it. I don't have an imaginary friend or anything but when I'm alone I just seem to start having a conversation with myself for some reason. It isn't necessarily out loud either. A lot of the time its just in my head. My guess is that I probably do it to relax and calm myself down since I've been under quite a lot of stress lately.

RAADS-R (Average score for males with asd=148.7)
Total=170 - Language=17 - Social relatedness=65 - Sensory/motor=52 - Circumscribed interests=36

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:09 pm

I talk to myself a lot. I sing to myself a lot too. I find it very calming and the sound of my own voice keeps me company when I feel lonely. I have several imaginary friends and I have conversations with them all the time.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:00 pm

I did a lot as a kid and soemtimes still do but i was told to stop because most of what i said was offensive,

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

25 Jun 2016, 4:16 am

Oh well...

I can relate to that. I pretty much externalize my thoughts all the time when im alone. I can completely stop it when someone is around, its not something i "have" to do, but when im alone it just feels right i suppose. That can and will include the very bad singing of "earworms" (german term, song stuck in your head) and imitating various things. And its super embarrasing if someone unexpectedly walks up on me while im doing one of these things. If i happen to find myself around people i dont know and therefore dont have some preset topics i either get completely silent or i start rambling to avoid the awkward silence. Wich most of the time still ends up more awkward as if i just would have shut up. It depends on the situation like group/single person, how confined the situation is {the car is a good example}, if i feel like conversation is expected from me etc...

Peace
TK

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

Does anyone think if I rock back and forth/move more (when sitting), that I might talk a bit less? Oh- thanks for the replies so far.