Any other Aspies who can't do Facebook?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jul 2016, 3:41 pm

Been off it for six years and I haven't missed much.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

To be honest, I also hardly use Facebook. I don't have many friends that care what I post... except maybe two people. That's one reason why I rarely ever go on anymore. If I do, I am usually doing it to let the few friends I have know that I'm still alive and well. I feel like I have little to no use for the place. Not only that, but they are always changing things under my nose. It can be a little upsetting, considering I'm obviously quite resistant to change.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

I can only use FB at a bare minimum, I keep my friends list culled way down, turn off notifications for almost everything and keep friends posts completely out of my timeline. I would really rather just delete my account, but it is useful for some things, mainly for instant messenger and unfortunately seems to be what other people prefer to use so feel kind of like I'm stuck with it for that. Also useful for following some blogs or other websites who post updates on FB, or following Etsy sellers, or occasionally getting discount codes for shopping on various websites.

But I never post anything on my wall anymore, don't post on other people's walls and very seldom post in any groups. At one point I went through and deleted pretty much everything I had ever posted on FB and just made anything that remained private.

When I first joined I was so enthralled with having this constant stream of stuff to look at, I lost several months out my life just looking at that crap.

At this point I realize just seeing one person post their opinion about politics or pretty much ANYTHING really is enough to make me feel like I never ever want to talk to them again. I never wanted to know this much stuff about people and their opinions and what they do every day. Total information overload.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 8:09 pm

Never really tried it, I didn't see the point and it seemed like a hassle. Lately though, I'm starting to think it may be more inconvenient not to, so I may set up an account for when it's helpful.

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

I wouldn't even attempt it. :-?

Zel.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 1:09 pm

I avoid facebook (and Twitter, Instagram, etc.) completely, for 2 reasons.

1) I don't want to waste all my free time with those things,

2) I don't see the need to post my entire life on the internet.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 2:34 am

I feel that it is completely asinine, I don't care what you are having for lunch, or what your feelings are about the latest thing that Trump has said or done. That's all Facebook is anymore. I have better things to do with what little free time that I get these days, such as staring at a wall.

TinyHat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2019, 11:39 am

I can't stand Failbook. I had an account that I finally deleted in 2015. It goes too fast, and to be honest; I found myself muttering "I don't give a damn" constantly about just about everything people posted. I also never knew what to say to anything. Besides the fact that to me, social media just seems like a place for everyone to dump thoughts better kept to themselves in some attention competition, it made my head what I call, "loud." Two minutes on that site, and my ability to concentrate on anything is fried for hours, if not the rest of the day.

And this isn't even getting into my feelings about how creepy that site is. If Skynet ever becomes a real thing, it will be born from Facebook. ;p

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:57 pm

Noca wrote:
I hate Facebook so I deleted mine. I couldn't stand the constant social expectations of others expecting me to be on Facebook 24/7. If I wasn't online I would get stupid posts like "is he still alive" "omg he hasn't posted in x amount of time". I also couldn't stand having my friends on the same social network as my family.

I agree with you about the latter being a problem. I certainly wouldn't want my relatives looking over my shoulder at who all my friends are. That's one of the many reasons why I don't do Facebook.

However:

Noca wrote:
I quarantine my friends from one another anyway and I am the only common link. None of my friends know each other so this prevents unnecessary drama. If one hits the fan then the door on their little cell slams shut and the mess is contained and limited to just them, they don't affect any other part of my social life. It works much better that way. I only like to socialize 1on1, never in groups.

I generally prefer to socialize one-on-one too. Group conversations are really tough for me (unless the conversation is focused on a single topic of interest to me).

But I nevertheless have always preferred that my friends be part of some cluster of like-minded friends of mine who know each other and care about each other too. That way, if a misunderstanding breaks out between two people in the cluster, others can step in and help resolve it. To me, a good friend is part of an alternative extended family, not a person who exists in total isolation from everything else in my life. I can think of many instances in my life where having mutual friends (or even mutual acquaintances) has helped to end drama rather than create it.

Noca wrote:
I don't have Facebook, don't use twitter or Instagram either.

Me neither.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I don't have one and don't have any interest in it. Social media as a whole seems pretty dumb. Oooh, look at what I did! Me me me, it's all about ME! It seems like such a self-centered sort of NT paradise, and I have no desire to partake in it.

The statement is correct

But sometimes it is the most convenient method of communication

The other thing is that, it shows when someone read your message

Even if no response

:ninja:

Facebook makes precious lil "people" look better than they are

Feel inferior

:mrgreen:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 10:13 pm

TinyHat wrote:
And this isn't even getting into my feelings about how creepy that site is. If Skynet ever becomes a real thing, it will be born from Facebook. ;p

I find it creepy too.

Also, a Facebook feed -- even in a Facebook group, or even a Facebook page devoted to a particular topic, much less the feed on an individual person's account -- is just too damned disorganized. I much prefer a well-organized forum like Wrong Planet, with its topic-focused sub-forums and threads.