Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
I have a toddler.

I didn't know I was autistic when she was born. She actually led me to my own journey of self-discovery.

I don't know if she's autistic or NT. My personal belief is that she's going to turn out to be on the spectrum, whilst my husband doesn't believe so and thinks I'm seeing things that aren't there, but either way we will work with it as it happens.

If she is autistic, she isn't exactly like me. Honestly, I don't know how the genetic inheritance truly works, but whilst I'm under-sensitive she seems to be over-sensitive. I need as much noise as possible to be relaxed, including very loud music, whilst she has a lot of issues with sound and needs ear defenders or to be removed from a situation involving sound - I have to mute the TV whenever a robot speaks, for example, because the sound bothers her, and we have to get her ear defenders out if a rubbish (garbage) truck passes us in the street. Equally, I require pressure as much as possible whilst she seems to have issues with light touch - her socks bother her, and if I knock her with a wire whilst I'm drying her hair then she doesn't like that.

Both of us get sensory overload in crowded places, resulting in meltdowns or shutdowns. I'd say that's to a similar level, but I have the benefit of internalising better (I don't know what I was like at her age).

I'd say we're at a similar level but with different mixes of traits. She's certainly high functioning at this stage, if she is autistic. But I genuinely don't understand enough to know if she could have 'inherited autism' but with some opposite traits to mine.

Regarding your concerns about 'I know the challenges and wouldn't want them to go through that'. As my husband pointed out to me, it is not going to be the same. Our children have the benefit of our experience and support. We can be the more accepting and understanding parents if our children do have autism, because we know how they feel. With a strong parent behind them, helping to adapt their world to their needs, they do not have to face a constant struggle.

About the capability of being a good parent? I can't say. I can say that I am confident that I'm a great parent. I have my autism-related issues, but they are SO far outweighed by all of the things that I am amazing at. I'm not perfect, but no parent is, and our children will learn from us how to be understanding of differences. If you can show a mature way of working through the difficulties you face in life, there is no better way to raise your child.

Obviously I can't know all of the individual difficulties that you face personally, but I will say this.

Everyone worries about being a good parent. That's only natural. And in fact, of all of the parents I know I'm the one that worries about it least. Whilst others are worried about what the books say, what other people will think, what the latest guidance tells them, what they 'should' be doing, I do all of my parenting by intuition. Nothing factors in to any of my parenting other than 'How does this affect my child? What's best for HER?'. As a result, I constantly see other parents concerned about things that have never been an issue for me at all. I have never had to think about how to do things or what to do next, because my daughter has communicated all of that from the moment that she was born. And she's doing exceptionally well, as a result.

ArielsSong, I also think you sound like a great mum, to a wonderful daughter. I'm the mum of a 7 year old boy who's ASD. He's what you call 'high-functioning', and in fact those who don't know us would never guess that he's on the spectrum at all. I have a theory, and I know it's out of fashion at the moment - but I really want to write something about this (actually I have already drafted a 'Dos and Don'ts' list for parents on a scraggy notebook, in my spare moments..). It's that yes, ASD is inherited - it's in my family too, and clearly it has been proven to be hereditary - HOWEVER, autism, not high-functioning but that characterised by (among other sypmtoms) excruciating meltdowns and withdrawal, is to a large extent set off by environmental factors. Those factors could be all kinds of things (I'm also slowly compiling a list of those based on continuing reading and research), from illness, to birth and hospital trauma, to parenting and schooling methods - in particular those that are in some way coercive and inflexible, to my mind whatever is more or less abusive and disrespectful to ANY child, but anathema to an autistic one.

I know this is more or less known, but very out-of-fashion at the moment, and an absolute minefield (help!). However, I've seen so much stuff (basically, coercive methods for obtaining obedience and conformity in children, and environments where children cannot thrive, IN PARTICULAR extremely sensitive ones), that I think it is important for parents to be aware that there is a lot they can do, A LOT, to avoid that their children suffer, or at least to mitigate their suffering. It may involve a total change in mindset and lifestyle (in our case it did), but it should be known how many practical measures you can take.

I'd be really interested in your opinion on this, since your experience seems in many ways to reflect mine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

I really do want a child. I've already expressed in this thread my worries of it being on the stupid autism spectrum, but there are other factors that are causing me to chicken out. One of them is being pregnant. I seem to feel pain like 5 times more than other people, and I am a total wimp about it. I would have a c-section, but I heard that can weaken your stomach muscles. I suppose I'll rather that than go through all that pain and mess giving birth.

But, back to the autism thing, the risk is too big, and I do not want my child to be on the spectrum, especially on the low-functioning end, where I might not be able to give him affection, or might not be able to buy him lots of toys to play with because he might prefer spinning objects all day. I'm sorry, but I want a child I can show affection to, buy lots of toys for her, have her go to mainstream school and be invited to parties and be accepted, and just have a normal family life. I don't know how strong my faulty gene is, but my partner and all his family are NTs, and 99% of my family are NTs, so hopefully my baby will inherit the NT genes.

By NT I mean 'normal', no neurological differences or disorders. Just a typically developing child.

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

I am unable to have children. After having a biopsy to confirm it, I was devastated. Not so much for me, but for my wife. She would have made a fantastic mother!

I got nil support after finding out, except for the comment made by my in-laws "knowing you, it's probably for the best". Nice.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:52 pm

That is such a callous and ignorant thing for them to have said. I am shocked by their extreme insensitivity. It worries me that people without emotional sensitivity like that parent children themselves.

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2016, 7:17 pm

Thank you B19.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

[b]This is a subject that I've not spoken about outside of my own family, therefore I say the following as, I would not mind having a child(ren).For being a parent has many ups & downs in life overall.Yes, I'm aware of the fact the chances of said child or children might have a higher tendency to develop autistic qualities, well my great-grandfather was autistic though, he raised 4 children to be highly competent adults whom led normal lives even if they were all neurotypical. In fact, I spent 13 years of my life helping my sister raise my niece as, her father was hardly around whereby, the role of pseudo parent come to me.
To this very day, I tend to have that role for, I'm the only whom understands my niece and that she does not have AHAD as my mom constantly suspects without logically proof. Basically, I could learn to do things to be the best parent as possible. [/b]

Kunkali
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

I have a son and he is autistic...his behavior actually led me to realize I was too as he acts the same way I did when I was younger. I'm not gonna lie, being autistic, things dealing with pregnancy and raising children pose more challenges for us than for NT peeps. And, as always, NT people don't understand our unique challenges and I did suffer a lot of verbal and emotional abuse from family members during my pregnancy and the first 6 years or so afterwards. It's tough but everyone's experiences are different.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 2:40 pm

No, I definitely do NOT! I detest the obnoxious little brats, have too low a pain threshold to endure childbirth and am asexual.

I decided at the age of 8 I didn't want children. And I have never wavered.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 9:41 pm

I am asexual and aromantic so no. I don't want relationships, sex or children.

Anyway I cannot stand babies.

AlexaSaturn
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2016, 9:54 pm

Nope. I am childfree and will stay that way. I can't think of one good reason to breed this day and age. I also can't stand people whose entire identity is being parents. Their children tend to be spoiled brats.

No thanks.

pro-cure,atheist,anarcho-syndicalist,anti-conservative pc,pro-wrestling and jiu jitsu is life

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm

Of course

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:13 am

I would have my baby taken away straight away if I had one, as I would refuse to bond with it and I would not cope with caring for it. Changing nappies and bathing the baby would be impossible for me and I would be melting down constantly and then give the baby up for adoption ASAP.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2016, 4:00 am

No! I would never want to risk passing on my condition! And neither would I want a child from adoption, I would be unable to properly bond, communicate, and read their emotions. They deserve better!

-Johnnyh

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:22 pm

I actually don't 'get' the mentality of people 'desperate' to have a child, especially those so desperate that they hire a surrogate or use IVF. Why is having a baby so important? Parenthood, in my book, is a privilege not a right.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:32 pm

[quote="MamaFrankie5259"]I actually don't 'get' the mentality of people 'desperate' to have a child,

I think some people believe that if they don't have children then somehow it's the end of the world of them from a figurative standpoint. As well, there are people whom have taken the Christian bible in literal terms to go forth and fruitful to imply to have as many children as possible. I'm at a loss to figure out the rationale of such.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 5:19 pm

if ever called to be a father, there is much patience, room and compassion in my heart for such a role, and much within my spirit and mind to pass along in teaching.

if not called to be a father, a lack of such duty won’t source insomnia.