Autism more common in people whose brains anatomically male

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

A new study finds that in addition to autism being more common in males than females, differences in brain structure can also be a factor, regardless of biological sex. It suggests that having a brain with features more commonly found in male brains is linked to higher probability of having autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315734.php

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 1:32 pm

When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I thought I was a boy and wondered why I didn't have a penis. I was pretty distressed about it too. Maybe it's because I have a brain that's more anatomically male.

horseguy2u
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

But what if the spectrum manifests itself in females in a different way, one that is often less apparent to the NT scientists who measure such things?

The underlying question regarding all science that addresses the AS is that science standards and practices are nearly completely NT in nature. This is problematic because in my view AS people understand a lot more about NT people than NT people understand about AS people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:21 pm

I've felt that I was crippled in the crotch as a child because I didn't have a penis. I thought it fell off when I was a baby. I even told the kids at school that my penis fell off when I was really little. I've always felt that there was a part of me missing, AKA the penis. I wear a German helmet these days as a symbol that I'm Transgendered and that I celebrate having the same autistic mindset as Schultz. In my case, I agree with the OP because the male brain theory also applies to me. I'd like to donate my brain to science, but not Autism Speaks.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:33 pm

I have a male brain in a very visibly female body. I'm pre-everything trans with top and bottom dysphoria.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2017, 9:26 am

firemonkey wrote:
A new study finds that in addition to autism being more common in males than females, differences in brain structure can also be a factor, regardless of biological sex. It suggests that having a brain with features more commonly found in male brains is linked to higher probability of having autism spectrum disorder.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315734.php

It makes sense to me. I am genetically female but have felt male all my life and actively wanted to be a boy as a child. I have male interests and a male outlook and a male brain but a female body. If I had had the chance to grow up in today's world, instead of in the 70's, I would have transitioned but things were much harder then and I am past worrying about it now.

I wrote to Simon Baron Cohen's team about this male brain stuff too and he said that the data he was seeing seems to confirm that male brains are more frequently autistic. He also said that if you're a female on the spectrum there is statistically more chance of you being gay/transgendered than if you are an NT female. Interesting stuff.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 2:22 pm

My aspie mom was pretty butch. She envied my opportunities on one hand, and on the other taught me not to take advantage of them to avoid being called a patriarch. It didn't work. I have always found maleness treated as original sin by feminists, whatever we do.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

I will bet the picture turns out to be more complex though. I know at least one lady both on the spectrum and identifying very feminine, also I run into people on the spectrum who have made the transition male to female.

Interesting stuff