Aspie optimism? Expecting people to be nice

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 1:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am a lot like this. As long as I can remember people have been telling me to stop being so negative. I think it is an overcompensation to being too trusting when young and the bullying. I am a lot better since I was diagnosed and used the explanation to figure out I was overcompensating.

i think a similar thing happened to me, starting in my mid teens i started to go from overly trusting and social to more reserved and quiet. i thought that in that way, i couldn't be hurt.

it offered me some protection, but only minimally. :|

i think it would be better for me to find a middle road...as total isolation is rarely the solution.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2017, 2:20 am

burnt_orange wrote:
I do think people will be nice, but not because I am. I aspire to be nice and warm and fuzzy, but I am not at all. I'm often mean.

I'm a little intrigued by this. Do you enjoy being mean? It's OK if you do. Are you mean because you just can't help it, and it feels natural? Why are you mean to people?

I am asking because there was an important Aspie in my life who tried to be nice, but she seemed unable to stop herself from saying some pretty mean and nasty things to people. It seemed like a very normal part of her thought process.