How do you feel about the term "Aspie"?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I find soft "g" to be easier off my tongue than hard "g" when I pronounce the word "Aspergian" orally.

As for "Aspergers," it's definitely a hard "g".

Since it is a German name, I believe it should really be pronounced something like "As-p/bair-gers." The distinction between "p" (voiceless" and "b" (voiced) is less than usual.

Always assumed that "Sperg" was the hard G (like give). Its an interesting possible alternative to "aspie".

Ironically the word "German" is pronounced with a soft G, and the soft G is seldom used in the German language.

Dr. Hans Asperger pronounced his German language name with a hard G (like "go" and "give").

So I would have agreed with you that we have to use the hard G pronounciation for that reason- except for one little thing..

The Hard G is the usual way its pronounced in the USA, but both are commonly used in Britain where both are considered acceptable there.

The one little thing that I uncovered that could make the case that the J sound pronunciation is an acceptable Anglelification is this:that "asperger" is actually a word in the English language, and in English its pronounced with the G as J sound. The word "asperger" (pronounced asperjer) means "the person who sprinkles holy water in a Catholic mass".

Dr. Hans may have had an ancestor who was like a choir boy who did the holy water sprinkling honors. So for that reason it could be argued that his name (and the condition named for him) can be Anglecized to asperjers.

However the doctor might have inherited his name from someone who came from the town of Asperg in southern Germany (which is pronounced like "Hamburg" with a hard G). In which case the hard G would be the only acceptable pronounciation.

It all hinges on how the guy's ancestor got his name! Lol!

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm

Never really heard or in all likelihood noticed the term before last November. In general I don't like slang or shortened versions of names/titles: 'aspie' sounds in my head like 'aspis', which is obviously the problem when you've been in love with the over-romanticised story of Cleopatra since childhood.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 1:09 pm

I like it. It's my preferred word as far as terms for what I am diagnosed with is concerned. Asperger's sounds so dark and serious and I don't like the word autistic or aspergian. I'm fine with the word autism but I'm not really people first, so aspie it is.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2017, 2:17 pm

I don't mind it. My son, who is also autistic, can't stand it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 4:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think it's an okay term.

I'm not "really" an Aspie, though LOL

I am, technically, a classically autistic person.

You're a classy person, that's for sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 5:33 pm

Thank you, Sir.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm

It might just seem offense because of the stigma associated with having Aspergers, but personally I like it.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2017, 9:45 pm

hellhole wrote:
It might just seem offense because of the stigma associated with having Aspergers, but personally I like it.

There's a stigma associated with having Asperger's?

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 6:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
I dislike it. I find the term rather stupid and pointless.

Stupid and pointless as compared to what other term?

Person with Asperger's.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 7:09 am

I think Aspie is an okay term. It's easy to say, but random NTs will probably be confused if they hear Aspie instead of Asperger, as it probably isn't a term they'd heard before.

Online, I just use whichever term sounds smoother to me in the sentence.

Last edited by 248RPA on 25 Feb 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:10 am

PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:

Person with Asperger's.

So uttering seven syllables when you can just say two syllables is NOT "stupid and pointless"?

Thats interesting.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

Rather than have a laugh I'll put my opinion about the language in.

Unless it's relevant I don't want to hear it. If it has to come up:

"She has autism", "she is autistic", and "she has Asperger's (syndrome)" are all fine.

"She is a person with Asperger's (syndrome)" and "she is a person with autism" are just long and pointless.

"She is an aspie", "she is an autie", and "she is an autistic" all sound stupid to me.

If I'm talking about a group I'll say "people with autism" or "autistic people", not "aspies", "auties", "autistics".

"Aspie(s)"/"autie(s)" just sound so cringy.

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 9:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:

Person with Asperger's.

So uttering seven syllables when you can just say two syllables is NOT "stupid and pointless"?

Thats interesting.

It isn't. Why would anyone need such a term when a perfectly functional description is already in existence?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Feb 2017, 10:31 am

I don't feel comfortable using any term IRL but aspie and NT work fine for like this site. It's an unfortunate name, can't help but think assburgers or asspies.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:21 am

PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:

Person with Asperger's.

Thats interesting.

It isn't. Why would anyone need such a term when a perfectly functional description is already in existence?

Thats exactly the point. There is no alternative to "aspie" that is "functional".

"Person with aspergers" is so long winded and unwieldy that it is obviously anything but "functional".

However you could argue that "person with aspergers" could be turned into the acronym "PWA" that in text (but not in speech) would be as functional as "aspie". Though "PWA" sounds like it came "straight outta Compton"(that you're a rival band to Dre and NWA). Lol!

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
PatrickJane wrote:

Person with Asperger's.

Thats interesting.

Thats exactly the point. There is no alternative to "aspie" that is "functional".

"Person with aspergers" is so long winded and unwieldy that it is obviously anything but "functional".

However you could argue that "person with aspergers" could be turned into the acronym "PWA" that in text (but not in speech) would be as functional as "aspie". Though "PWA" sounds like it came "straight outta Compton"(that you're a rival band to Dre and NWA). Lol!

"He has Asperger's" and "he is an aspie" have the same number of syllables - is that not functional?