Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2017, 10:47 am

Are you on medication?
I know there's not a certain medication for autism, but do you take some specified for other mental problems? ADHD-medication, antidepressives, anxiety meds, and so on.

Is it worth it? Does it help you? Are the side effects bad?

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2017, 11:58 am

I take a liquid fluoxetine (prozac) for obsessive thoughts and low mood. Once you get past the first month and onto a higher dose I'd say it can be helpful.

Briefly took ritalin in my teens and would love to try it again but they won't prescribe it :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 1:16 pm

I take three anti-seizure prescriptions.

xxJennaxx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2017, 2:32 pm

Zoloft and melatonin.

I have Asperger's and OCD. I love languages.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2017, 2:47 pm

I take Celexa, Buspirone, one that's supposed to help prevent cravings for alcohol and drugs that starts with N (I can't remember the name of it) and Vitamin D. The Celexa seems to be working wonders for me. I used to be in a really bad depressive state, one that prevented me from getting out of bed. But now I'm active and keeping myself busy. There's no side effects that I've noticed.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 2:55 pm

Yes, I started with Zoloft ate age 7 (the liquid kind because I was unable to swallow pills until I was 10) and have been on a lot of different stuff since then. My mom and my psychiatrist are in charge of my meds, but I know I take Gabapentin, Abilify, Ativan, Lamictil, and some stuff for my physical health. I don't know what I would be like without medication. I have an anti-seizure one too that isn't working as well as it used to. I need to get that checked on. The only side effect I have experienced is extreme weight gain.

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

I take the meds listed in my sig.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 11:07 pm

I don't respond well to long term meds. Celexa for example eventually caused disinhibition and I became aggressive and reckless. These days I'm just on Xanax as needed.

Polly
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2017, 4:54 am

I didn't start taking any meds till I was an adult but since, I have probably taken most anxiety or antidepressant meds available.
About five years ago I was prescribed both seroquel and cymbalta for borderline personality disorder.
End of last year I stopped taking the seroquel colled turkey, which I don't recommend.
Now I'm looking into stopping the cymbalta, though I've heard that can be hard. :D

myaspielife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

I take meds for comorbid conditions that were actually diagnosed before I was DX'd with autism. First DX was depression, second was anxiety. I take Wellbutrin, Fluoxetine (Prozac), and Alprazolam (Xanax) as needed. We try and keep dosages as low as possible - enough that I can function but not so much that I'm a zombie.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

I take a stimulant adhd med, a ssri, and I also take zolpiderm for sleep, but I occasionally take it to calm down even though it's only supposed to be used for sleep. I also take a benzo that I obtain without a prescription. I use this benzo when I'm feeling overloaded.

The psychiatrist I see doesn't prescribe benzos because he is personally against them. He's one of those hippy dippy, new-age alt-med type. He thinks people should should use yoga, and breathing techniques to calm down but "ain't nobody got time for that" especially when you have autism. I will find a new psychiatrist eventually. The zolpiderm is prescribed to me by a neurologist.

Last edited by This_Amoeba on 10 Mar 2017, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

I take 10mg of paroxetine in the morning and another 10mg at night. Thus far I have seen an elevation in my mood, but I am quite sleepy and have gained some pounds, too.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2017, 11:50 am

200mg Sertraline a day for depression. I'm coming off it tho. Killed of my sex drive big time...

Edit: oh yeah...and Zopliclone for sleep issues and Lansoprazole for stomach issues.

Last edited by davidmcg on 10 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:52 am

Autism is neither a mental problem nor a disease, in spite of what some people here think, so medication for it is worthless. But like many if not most people on the spectrum I do have anxiety and depression which I have to take three different medications for. I know their names but I'm uncomfortable saying what they are. I know I should not be but I feel embarrassed and ashamed because of the stigma. But sometimes I like to say "people like that are the reason people like me are on medication". :twisted:

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:58 am

davidmcg wrote:
200mg Sertraline a day. I'm coming off it tho. Killed of my sex drive big time...

That's the same med I take. It's does the same to my sex drive too. I don't really care, but I know it probably makes my bf unhappy. I've switched meds before, but went back on the sertraline because it actually helped with my depression and made me calmer. For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I rather be happy and calm, rather then suicidal and horny. I might eventually try another med though, I'm just getting sick of going through diff meds for now.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

I'm starting to think medication is what they prescribe to us so we can be nice and compliant and not upset the status quo. Without it, we're just more susceptible to how f**ked up life really is and anyone who could see it the way we do would feel the the same...but we..must..comply...so take some meds and be nice...that's it.