Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm

I have taken way too many in the past, but nothing for about a year.

My medication started due to a reaction to Prednisone I was taking for my Ulcerative Colitis.

The only ones I actually felt helped were Paxil (helped me stand up for myself more and probably get a girlfriend in December 2004)
Risperdal (helped me sleep in 2007)
and Abilify (helped me become more focused in late 2016, early 2017)

A lot of meds lead to weight gain because they make you eat more and exercise less. Worst one is Xyprexa. It gets rid of most "side effects" but is correlated with diabetes.

Medication is a good first step or last resort but therapy and group activities are much better.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2017, 1:23 pm

I'm not sure why but I find that I tend to be very sensitive to medications. Either they work well at a really low dose or they don't do much even at a high dose. I have severe anxiety issues. I've been taking a low dose of Buspar for a while and it does help a bit but nowhere near enough. At this dosage I don't get any noticeable side effects but if I try to increase to a normal dose I just end up getting light headed.

I also have Hydroxyzine, which I can take as needed but I rarely use it, as it makes me really tired after about 3 hours. Most recently I've been trying Risperidone, with mixed results.

Long ago, I was on Lexapro, which was just horrible. It was nothing but side effects. Later I was switched to Effexor, which was beneficial but made me tired all the time. Getting off of that (due to "discontinuation syndrome") was an absolute nightmare. It was about 6 months of misery.