Page 4 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

Sorry I caused confusion. I just used to think that England was all the British Isles and Britain was a country in England. But it's the other way around. I didn't mention UK.
It doesn't matter now. Let's get on with the topic.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:20 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
I wonder why you chose to edit out the part of my post where I said to forget what I said , I can put it back in just as easily as you can remove it
SaveFerris wrote:
Call me paranoid , but the time stamps of the posts didn't add up in my mind. If you say you didn't remove anything that's good enough for me.

Don't worry (be paranoid, or whatever), I've had the same thing happen to me, and I had to go-back and say, something like: "Oops, that wasn't there, before". I clicked-on "Quote", and by the time I had composed my response and posted (and, maybe I was watching TV, at-the-same time, so it took longer), the person had edited their post; and, since you put "Edit..." on your post, I'm thinking that's all that happened, and I believe NP.

Yeah it was a case of opening my mouth first and engaging my brain second , I also believe NP otherwise I'd be bitching and making a fool of myself for hours ( believe me ).

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 12:36 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Up until a couple of months ago I thought that Britain did not include Scotland or Ireland, and that England was the whole country; Scotland, Ireland and Britain. Then I learnt from my boyfriend that it was the other way around; Britain is the whole country and England is the one that excludes Scotland and Ireland.

I was surprised when I learnt that, because England sounds bigger than Britain.
Funny, the things you learn about the country you have lived in your whole life. :lol:

I wonder how many Brits you have offended with that ignorance because that is a common mistake foreigners make. Most people think England and the UK are the same thing or that Great Britain and England are the same and that UK and Britain are the same.

It's worse than that. Ireland (Eire/Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) is not part of Great Britain or even the United Kingdom! The whole system is bloody stupid and leads to errors because of its complexity.

* England = England (whether or not this includes Cornwall is debatable according to some)
* Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales
* United Kingdom = Great Britain and Northern Ireland
* British Isles = Great Britain, Ireland (the whole island - Northern Ireland and the Eire/Republic of Ireland), Isle of Man (not part of the United Kingdom) and any other little islands within its waters.

I think that's right :)

As for answering the question? I didn't think that I was bullied at school as I generally won any fights I had because of it. It was only recently that I realised that I was bullied on a daily basis and whether I won the fight or not was irrelevant.

I hear that if you go to England and call it the UK, they will have a cow about it. But yet they can come here and say they are in the US and we won't have a cow about it just because they didn't say the US state they were in but instead called it the US. My argument is England is part of the UK so therefore they are in the UK like I am in the US because Oregon is part of the US and I am in North America because the US is part of it and so is Oregon. I sometimes like to make fun of that because of how picky they are.
I don't really think it's picky to expect someone to know the difference between their country and an area of several countries.
I always knew England was one of the countries in Britain, it's Britain and UK I get confused about. Is UK England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and Britain the same 4 plus Ireland, or was it the other way around? I can never remember which is which. It's so annoying, because I've looked it up more than once.
Off topic but it always annoys me when people mix up Scandinavia and the Nordic countries. Finland, Iceland, Greenland, they were never part of Scandinavia. Scandinavia consists of only 3 countries, the only 3 countries here in the north with similar languages.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Girls had cooties.
30 years old was really old.

Huh, I had no idea that boys actually believed this. I just thought they talked about cooties to tease girls and the boys who got in contact with girls.

I can remember thinking 12 year olds were really old. Seriously. Actually there was a time when I even thought anyone old enough to go to school were old. :lol:

When you are in England you are in the UK. I don't think it means someone is stupid enough to think England is the whole entire UK. They are still in the UK like how Oregon isn't the whole entire USA but it's still in the USA. No one is going to get offended if you come here and say you are in the US because you didn't say Oregon. That is how it looks to me in the UK when the Brits do it because you didn't say Scotland, Wales, or England or Northern Ireland whichever country you are in when you said it. :roll:

As an American this is just something that goes over my head because it's no different than say you are in the US and not saying what state you are in. This is just how us Americans talk so I guess the language over ther eis difefrent so it comes off as you guys being picky. It's like getting offended over calling a Nintendo Switch a Nintendo because you didn't call it a Switch. "No this is a Switch, not a Nintendo, how offensive. This is a Nintendo Switch, not a Nintendo." :lol: Sorry Brits bit this is just how it all feels to me so I accept our languages are just different.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

I think people here are implying that I'm stupid.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I'm not. And this tread is about things you used to believe. So you know it's not true anymore or think it. It's just things you thought and believed were true.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:30 pm

Corny wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I'm not. And this tread is about things you used to believe. So you know it's not true anymore or think it. It's just things you thought and believed were true.

Yes, that's right. I was a bit surprised when I learnt that, but it doesn't exactly make a big difference to my life. That's why I just call it the UK, because I used to get muddled up with what's England and what's Britain. I didn't know I'd be starting up a bit of a controversy in this thread over it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Sorry, I'm not trying to imply that at all.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 3:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Sorry, I'm not trying to imply that at all.

It's OK.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:23 pm

I used to think that most cats were female and most dogs were male, unless they belonged to me and I knew for sure what sex they were.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:55 pm

I thought the reason why I was getting less Christmas presents each year was because I didn't believe in Santa.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I thought the reason why I was getting less Christmas presents each year was because I didn't believe in Santa.

No way would Santa diss you because you didn't believe , he is a very forgiving man :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm

I used to think teachers lived at the school.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 6:21 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I used to think teachers lived at the school. Not a boarding school or Victorian school where sometimes the teachers actually did hold classes in their houses, but everyday public schools in the 1990's.

This is extremely common. One gr.1 teacher I knew had a kitchen style counter and sink in her room. One day one of her students was still around when she left. The little girl put her hands on her hips and demanded "Miss Adams! Where do you think you're going?"

Another young tyke saw her teacher at the supermarket, and walked over, wide eyed to exclaim "Mrs. Johnson - I didn't know that You ate Groceries!"

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 6:35 pm

...There were alot of things which I was confused of or believed.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

I used to think London, England, and Britain were all different countries.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 11:05 pm

I used to believe it was normal for people to be concerned about impulsively throwing themselves down a flight of stairs whenever they were on the stairs.