Too many autistics are bieng prescribed too many drugs

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2017, 3:51 am

C2V wrote:
Ugh serendipity. I've just been to the doctor about this.
I am in withdrawal from benzodiazepines at the moment. Accidentally quit them cold turkey due to inability to get a prescription renewal over easter. It's bad, but not fatal, and I do want to stop. But after six years (ish) I just planned to manage it better, rather than suddenly and by accident.
But I agree - too many pills are being given out when all many of them do is cover up the problem, not fix it. They mask, not treat, where other approaches may well be able to resolve the problem.
I told the doctor that since this has happened, I won't be put on another pill. They recommend diazepam type pills or anti-anxiety drugs for withdrawal, but really if you're just accepting of the fact that you're going to feel horrible for 8 weeks, it's entirely possible to do so without.
The underlying problem that I was taking them for is still there, after six years or so on these drugs (sleep issues).
I'm trying the CBT route and behavioural reconditioning to try and actually fix the problem, not just cover it up with drugs.
There has been some studies coming out that suggest a link between these kinds of anti-anxiety or sleep medications and cognitive decline. Also that when presenting to a doctor with a problem, the patient expects to be prescribed a pill, and there is pressure on doctors to do so.
I just hate the idea of being drug-dependent, of a chemical leash, altering my brain processes. I was dependent with many other things - this is the last of the pills and it's on the way out.
I don't know much about ADHD medications or anti-psychotics as I'm not psychotic or ADHD, but do believe the anti-anxiety and anti-depression medications are wildly over-prescribed, and instead of trying to fix their issues, now people just take a pill. NOT saying that in some cases they aren't needed. Just that they are being prescribed to and continually taken by people that may actually handle their issues and fix them by other means. People who don't try all avenues, because they're prescribed a pill that disguises the problem first.
Quote:
People don't get the psychological cravings for those drugs.

Eh, I don't think that's quite true. I know with anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications, people can develop a psychological dependency. They freak out when they are separated from the drugs, believe that they need the pills or horrible things will happen, that they cannot be without them. They try and fail to quit them because of this psychological dependency - it's addict behaviour.

I commiserate CV2,i truly do.

Along with my opioid addiction,i abused benzo's for well over ten years.

IF your resolute on giving up on any addiction,it starts with you and only you can give up,no one else can help you!

Have the mindset and that's what you want,souly free from handcuffs and free from mind altering drugs.

Mate,there is no limit on what you can do and what you can overcome and what you can achieve.

Your only limited by mind,don't read web md,thesis crap from the net and other experiences ,where all different in mindset and what we perceive,think,project and believe.

Mind over matter,will power and being control of your own mind,not you,is the key.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 4:54 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Granted,not addictive in the same way as alcohol and heroin,in regards to cravings,but your body still gets physically dependent on a drug,and do suffer withdrawal symptoms and then psychological during withdrawal,minus the cravings.

A person with diabetes who stops taking insulin will suffer withdrawal. So are they addicted or dependent? I think there is a difference. Insulin is a way to put a needed chemical into the body because of the body's inability to produce it in a normal capacity. So ... if a psychiatric drug is replacing a chemical that the body naturally uses and needs, is the person taking it addicted or dependent?

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Your only limited by mind,don't read web md,thesis crap from the net and other experiences ,where all different in mindset and what we perceive,think,project and believe.

Mind over matter,will power and being control of your own mind,not you,is the key.

I think this is not only B.S., but harmful B.S. People who are dealing with psychiatric illness and disorder do not need to be told that they are the problem. Is the diabetic flawed because they cannot out think insulin dependence?

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2017, 5:28 am

androbot01 wrote:
ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Granted,not addictive in the same way as alcohol and heroin,in regards to cravings,but your body still gets physically dependent on a drug,and do suffer withdrawal symptoms and then psychological during withdrawal,minus the cravings.

A person with diabetes who stops taking insulin will suffer withdrawal. So are they addicted or dependent? I think there is a difference. Insulin is a way to put a needed chemical into the body because of the body's inability to produce it in a normal capacity. So ... if a psychiatric drug is replacing a chemical that the body naturally uses and needs, is the person taking it addicted or dependent?

ElabR8Aspie wrote:

I think this is not only B.S., but harmful B.S. People who are dealing with psychiatric illness and disorder do not need to be told that they are the problem. Is the diabetic flawed because they cannot out think insulin dependence?

Hey,before you sink my ship,have you ever tried natural alternatives or do you seek the easy way out?

Don't deflunk,what ya don't know and haven't experienced personally!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 5:55 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Hey,before you sink my ship,have you ever tried natural alternatives or do you seek the easy way out?

Yes, I seek the easy way out, and I haven't stopped beating my wife either.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:

I've had good luck with gabapentin.

I avoid gluten and lactose.

I'm not sure which "natural alternatives" you are referring to, but I am more confident in the rigorousness of the testing that goes into Big Pharma's drugs (they have more to lose and more incentive to be successful than producers of commercial herbs, etc.)

I have noted that I am very sensitive to the effect of foods. Yogurt, for example, seems to have a really positive effect.

NAS
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2017, 8:04 am

I would agree that medicines in general are over prescribed, not just to autistic people. However, not all medicines are bad, and I'm sick of the stigma that surrounds psychiatric medication in general.

I was an utter mess before I started the medicine that I currently take (pregabalin, Venlafaxine). I couldn't even do therapy or any other helpful activities because I would panic, freeze up, etc. I know that medicine doesn't always help everyone, but pregabalin in particular has been so helpful to me. A short term prescription of Valium also helped as a 'breakthrough' drug when I started to experience psychotic symptoms due to my anxiety disorder being severe.

However, I think doctors are too ready to throw antidepressants at people with mental health problems rather than trying other things (like therapy). Medicines aren't even a quick fix, anyway - most antidepressants take six weeks or so to start having an effect, and it can take years to find one that works for you. I've tried so many different medications up until this point.

I am lucky to have an amazing doctor who consults with psychiatrists to make sure my medicine is balanced and okay if changes are made. Not everybody gets that chance. Not to mention that waiting lists for therapy and such are very, very long where I live. My boyfriend is currently considering going back to therapy and possibly speaking to a doctor about medication, but the waiting list is pushing him towards going private.

Sorry for rambling a bit there!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

My dad before he passed was taking 13 medications. He did not have dementia at all but because he was tired, not feeling well in part because of the medications I am positive he screwed up the routine he was supposed to follow plenty of times. Last year when I was in rehab for my tongue cancer my medication list included oxycodone when needed. A couple of times I was in mild pain and requested Tylenol, they would not give it me because it was not on list. They could not give me a mild over the counter medication, but when I requested an addictive opioid I got it every time and quickly. That was probably a result of the incestuous relationship between the doctor and the drug companies.

That was last year. This year there is a big and increasing panic over opioids and doctors are fearful of prescribing lest they get bad publicity or sued. People dying of cancer are having trouble getting oxycodone. At that point, it does not really matter if they get addicted. But if you do get addicted we have a drug for you

The two above examples are representative of a big problem with America we go back and forth between extremes. When I was growing if I was sick the doctor said to go to your local drug store (much less if any big chains back then) take asprin and a decongestant. Behavior problems? Tough love and if that did not work institutionalization. If you had cancer you died an excruciatingly painful death. Heart disease often meant you were often bedridden for a long time if not permanently.

Now we way at the other extreme. We have a drug for seemingly every problem. People expect life to be convenient, and if it is not people are offended. And that is why no matter what America chooses be it going back to marketplace insurance, continuing with some version of Obamacare or single payer healthcare costs are going to bankrupt America.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

I have no idea if prescribing drugs is a US thing because it seems like if your depression or anxiety is caused by the environment and you are having normal anxiety and stress, they are prescribed pills. I once wrote a blog post about it but can't find it because it's buried in there. if your depression is caused by the environment, the solution is pills. But I am on the fence about it because what if you can't change your environment? Let's say your anxiety was caused by your boss over working you because he is an as*hole and he will not change so your only solution is to quit or take pills so you can deal with it easier and function better? What if you can't quit your job? But hey if you don't start taking medicine for anxiety, you could have a nervous breakdown and then you could lose your job and then what?

Unless you have an anxiety disorder so you are having anxiety about normal things most people would be able to handle such as working full time and you are acting like you have been working too hard even though it's just normal stuff so it's affecting you mentally. The person could either take medicine or quit their job and live on Social Security or just work part time and get Social Security and they're "normal."

I am not totally against pills because they can really help people and make them function so they're "normal." Not everyone can do it without pills. I am not taking any but my husband does. He says they help him out and since he has been taking anti anxiety pills, he has been having no seizures so now I know his seizures are caused by his anxiety so he has no need to take seizure meds if anxiety meds help with it too. When I was having seizures, mine were caused by the side affects of the pills I was on whenever I would have anxiety so what did my family do? Took me off the medicine and flushed them down the toilet. No need to take more pills to help with my seizures when you could just stop the pills that were causing it. It's a matter of figuring out what is causing what before you decide on medicine for it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 1:55 pm

In my personal life, I feel as though I am surrounded by sick people.

In my circle, most everyone subject to chemical dependency, is in withdrawals, at the the end of almost every month.

You are giving control of your bodily functions, over to strangers, who lack self-discipline.

I am not a prohibitionist-type, either.

I think that responsible self-medication is empowering and that giving control to others is a dependency.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ElabR8Aspie wrote:

A person with diabetes who stops taking insulin will suffer withdrawal. So are they addicted or dependent? I think there is a difference. Insulin is a way to put a needed chemical into the body because of the body's inability to produce it in a normal capacity. So ... if a psychiatric drug is replacing a chemical that the body naturally uses and needs, is the person taking it addicted or dependent?.

Your argument is flawed and debunked,diabetes is a different kettle of fish,you can't align diabetes,along the same lines as psychological.

As for addicted or dependent on a psychiatric drug?Dependent,i already answered that above.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:

androbot01 wrote:

Not B.S,To allude and conclude,psychiatric illness is a chemical imbalance,fact,a drug from big pharma is just a bandaid fix,fact.

These meds aren't meant to be taken over the long term,though doctors and big pharma look at psychiatric illness,as a cash cow.

There are natural alternatives to chemical imbalance and it's a sad state of affairs,when doctors don't and or won't adopt the holistic approach.

Doctors,big pharma are a business,they make money from the weak minded.

Be in control of your own mind and not let it control you.
The brain is not hard wired after all.

As for the diabetic argument,again,there is no comparison.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 4:42 pm

They're realizing this now? I'm surprised this wasn't linked to DUH Magazine. :roll:

Have you seen the ads on American TV networks? Every other ad is for some stupid kind of drug. When I stayed at my parents' on the Easter weekend I watched a lot of reruns of COPS and Forensic Mysteries, and there must have been a million ads for drugs, a lot of them for allergies now because of it being spring, but also practically everything else. I hate those ads and their long lists of side effects that are terrifying than whatever disease they're for, being at least two minutes long. And now they even have "ask your vet" ads for dogs and cats that are just as bad. If there was something wrong with my cats that I thought required the advice from a vet, I would have likely already asked them, and they would have likely already prescribed something better and safer than whatever garbage those ads have.

This just makes the "Drug-Free America" PSAs even more hilarious. :twisted:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 5:53 pm

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
...Doctors,big pharma are a business,they make money from the weak minded.

Be in control of your own mind and not let it control you.
The brain is not hard wired after all.

As for the diabetic argument,again,there is no comparison.

Again with the insults? Sounds like you would rather proselytize than exchange ideas.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 7:58 pm

This was my case too. If people would have listened to me once in a while, I wouldn't need to have been on them in the first place. But no, if I was unhappy about something, it was the result of a chemical imbalance according to my mother. Not because I didn't feel listened too or felt like I just got in the way.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 8:23 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ElabR8Aspie wrote:

ElabR8Aspie wrote:

We have people all of the time who are non - compliant with their insulin. There is no withdrawal (unless they go into DKA), but they will suffer long term problems with kidneys, wounds, eye sight, etc.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 8:30 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ElabR8Aspie wrote:

Yes, I seek the easy way out, and I haven't stopped beating my wife either.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:

I've had good luck with gabapentin.

I avoid gluten and lactose.

I'm not sure which "natural alternatives" you are referring to, but I am more confident in the rigorousness of the testing that goes into Big Pharma's drugs (they have more to lose and more incentive to be successful than producers of commercial herbs, etc.)

I have noted that I am very sensitive to the effect of foods. Yogurt, for example, seems to have a really positive effect.

Actually, there was a time that the FDA wanted to regulate vitamins and all supplements because there are some studies that have proven their effectiveness at helping in certain ways and they didn't like not getting a cut of the money. Fish oil,
co-q10, and turmeric are a few examples. Probiotic are another - yogurt, like you mentioned.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 21 Apr 2017, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Actually, there was a time that the FDA wanted to regulate vitamins and all supplements because they're are some studies that have proven their effectiveness at helping in certain ways and they didn't like not getting a cut of the money. Fish oil,
co-q10, and turmeric are a few examples. Probiotic are another - yogurt, like you mentioned.

Today I ate salmon, broccoli, spinach, and yogurt.
Your post makes me feel even better about it. 8)

I tend to stay as far away from Big Pharma as I possibly can.
I tend to rely on things like organic apple cider vinegar, Epsom salts, and aspirin ...
as well as my favorite tasty mood boosters, tea and chocolate. :P

Am very glad I was not diagnosed early in life.
Life has been a struggle in many ways,
but I escaped being slapped with a label that required medication.

Last edited by the_phoenix on 21 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
They're realizing this now? I'm surprised this wasn't linked to DUH Magazine. :roll:

Have you seen the ads on American TV networks? Every other ad is for some stupid kind of drug. When I stayed at my parents' on the Easter weekend I watched a lot of reruns of COPS and Forensic Mysteries, and there must have been a million ads for drugs, a lot of them for allergies now because of it being spring, but also practically everything else. I hate those ads and their long lists of side effects that are terrifying than whatever disease they're for, being at least two minutes long. And now they even have "ask your vet" ads for dogs and cats that are just as bad. If there was something wrong with my cats that I thought required the advice from a vet, I would have likely already asked them, and they would have likely already prescribed something better and safer than whatever garbage those ads have.

This just makes the "Drug-Free America" PSAs even more hilarious. :twisted:

"Have you seen the ads on American TV networks? Every other ad is for some stupid kind of drug."

This is true. I'd have patients come in and ask me to get the doctor to order a certain drug and these would be drugs that I never heard of. I'd have to take out my phone and look up the name to see what the drug was even for. I was wondering how in the hell do these people know about all of these drugs when I haven't heard about them? I found out when I got my cable reinstalled - they saw them on all of the drug commercials! Duh. The drug companies run all of these damn commercials only giving half of the information on the drugs (because a lot of the times the patient's condition doesn't warrant for them), but at the end of the commercials they always say to ask your doctor. :roll:

Darn, I flunked.