ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 2:02 am

Toys Created For Kids With Autism, ADHD Become Latest Craze

They are so popular schools are banning them hurting autistic kids
What are fidget spinners? The new craze being banned by schools

Quote:
And now a new range of 'fidget spinners' has been invented for stressed-out office workers who might otherwise bite their nails down to the bone, or drive colleagues mad with endless pen-clicking.

But, remarkably, some schools are reportedly BANNING the toys.
One Greater Manchester school sent a text message to parents this week explaining why.
The school claims the gadgets "are a distraction to learning and can be dangerous."
In the text, the school added: "Any fidget spinners seen in school will be confiscated.

And she said: "At first I thought it was brilliant that other kids had them because he wouldn't have to answer any questions or feel awkward using it, but now that they're being banned in schools it means he will have to lose an aid that is extremely beneficial to him.

"It's unfair if a child with special needs already has them and is now not allowed because others have them purely for enjoyment."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2017, 3:20 am

I was just gonna post about this, because I hate this trend. All of the sudden every NT has "adhd". They aren't even good toys to fidget with, you just spin it and hold it.

I have no idea why these exploded, they aren't fun to play with at all. Some people on youtube have built entire careers showcasing these things. Kids at school trade them and sell them.

Just shows how mindless the general populous is, obsessing over handheld spinners.

wtf

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

I have one, and like it. I bought it as a novelty - I had no idea they were a popular thing until I overheard some loud teens on a bus have a gormless conversation about theirs lately. I would be extremely irritated to be near someone fiddling with one and do think they're only suitable as a private occupation for the hands.
I cannot stand the indulging of selfish habits in children, so good riddance.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 6:57 pm

people with 504 plans or IEPs are allowed to keep theirs and schools can't take them away.

I have one and think its fun to watch but i don't use it during a lesson or in other inappropriate situations.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 7:57 pm

One of my teachers now has a fidget toy, and a bunch of students have them also. It hasn't been banned yet at my school, and I hope it stays that way. Like many people here, I had fidget toys before they were cool.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 8:19 pm

I think the idea of fidget items is good...but if that particular one causes problems than I could see schools not wanting kids to have them at school. But I don't think the idea of fidget toys is a bad idea...I find it can be harder to pay attention or concentrate if I try not to fidget so I don't see what is so bad about having an item to direct that to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 10:43 pm

I like the idea of fidget toys. I wish I had some of my own. I don't like the fact that they're being taken away from all students. Autistic students should be able to keep their fidget toys. I don't think autistics should have any of their favourite objects taken away from them.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:22 am

I bought a fidget cube for my stepdad who is 75. He has a lot of ADHD traits and uses the cube when watching tv. I actually thought he would lose it, the fact that he uses it is flattering to me. I actually bought him a good present.

The_Blode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2017, 2:28 am

^ OP is CORRECT. . .it is a fad. . .but I read the article and BOUGHT a Fidget Spinner. . . :oops:

It's not bad. . .but I don't like how these toys are marketed (at ADHD and Aspies). . .

I have a Fidget Cube on the way and I have other fidget toys like beads, little thing and those tangle things. . .

But yeah, for £5.99 can't complain. . . :heart:

Generally speaking though. . .they are rubbish. . .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:37 am

The_Blode wrote:
^ OP is CORRECT. . .it is a fad. . .but I read the article and BOUGHT a Fidget Spinner. . . :oops:

It's not bad. . .but I don't like how these toys are marketed (at ADHD and Aspies). . .

I have a Fidget Cube on the way and I have other fidget toys like beads, little thing and those tangle things. . .

It probably is a fad but I find my fidget spinner brings me into the now and if I'm spinning I don't have any other stims ( which relaxes my legs )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:30 am

SaveFerris wrote:
The_Blode wrote:

It probably is a fad but I find my fidget spinner brings me into the now and if I'm spinning I don't have any other stims ( which relaxes my legs )

Yep. I wonder how many educators and families who tried to teach students who were prescribed methyphenidate (Ritalin) for ADHD wish now that the students had fidget spinners, instead. Sure, any gadget is going to fascinate students to distraction, but maybe there is a small benefit to it.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 9:26 am

I think the real fad is marketing fidget toys to only children with ASD or ADHD. When I was growing up, fidget toys were marketed and sold to all children.

You could take them to school, and have them in your desk, and use them as needed, as long as you did not distract anyone during a lesson or test.

And we all respected and followed that rule. If we needed, we used them discreetly at out desks, and if we could not be discreet, we waited til a break to use them more distractfully.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Last edited by Knofskia on 30 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 9:58 am

Oh for god's sake, even NT kids need to stim because they also can't sit still for long periods of the time. Back in my childhood days they just doodled in their books or on their desks. Even NT adults can't sit still for like 40 minutes and not do something with their body during a meeting or a class or lecture. This is just ridiculous. If they were loud stim toys, that would be another story. But I think everyone should do it quietly. I had to do mine quietly so I wouldn't disturb the teacher or any of the other students and no one bothered me about it unless I was pacing.

Also studies have shown that ADHD kids do better when they fidget because it actually helps them focus. Even my ex boyfriend said the same so when he was expected to sit still in class, he couldn't focus in school because all his energy went to focusing on not moving his body. Then I see an article about it like five years later and I was like "duh." Even my mom agreed too and understood.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Oh for god's sake, even NT kids need to stim because they also can't sit still for long periods of the time. Back in my childhood days they just doodled in their books or on their desks. Even NT adults can't sit still for like 40 minutes and not do something with their body during a meeting or a class or lecture. This is just ridiculous. If they were loud stim toys, that would be another story. But I think everyone should do it quietly. I had to do mine quietly so I wouldn't disturb the teacher or any of the other students and no one bothered me about it unless I was pacing.

Also studies have shown that ADHD kids do better when they fidget because it actually helps them focus. Even my ex boyfriend said the same so when he was expected to sit still in class, he couldn't focus in school because all his energy went to focusing on not moving his body. Then I see an article about it like five years later and I was like "duh." Even my mom agreed too and understood.

That is exactly my point. :)

I bought a fidget cube very recently and it has already come in very handy a few times. 8) The only time that it was not enough was when I was stressing out at a horrible dentist's appointment at a horrible new dentist's office. :x The heavy, lead, dental x-ray apron helped with that though. :heart:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:40 pm

I'd never seen them before the other day and I'm familiar with the concept of fidget toys.

It's rather bizarre that of all the things that could become a fad it had to be them though.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

+1 interesting post