Anybody here ever have problems with grooming themselves?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:00 pm

I think I said this before but I hate showers, and stuff. But Its also because its so differcult to wash my hair, and keep myself clean. I make sure to at least shower once a day and brush my teeth at least twice a day, but when I was younger, I rarely would ever shower, or brush my teeth. Its even a pain to brush my hair, It hurts my arms, and I don't understand why everytime I brush it, it always comes out worse then before I brushed it. Is there a brushing and taking care of hair course that I must have failed? I can't blow dry my hair either, I usually ask my mother to do it, I don't know why I can't bring the blowdryer around my head to get my hair dry, its like its another motor skill I'm lacking. I was just wondering am I the only one with this proiblem?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:02 pm

I don't have those problems.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Valhalla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2007, 9:03 pm

I'm not as great on hygiene as I should be. For the hair thing, I hate having to brush or do anything to my hair, that's why when I get it cut it's usually as short as possible.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:15 pm

I don't like showering (but I make sure I do it anyway of course). It's because it takes so long for my hair to dry. I hate having wet hair, but I hate hair dryers more so I always let it air-dry. In addition, cutting my hair is upsetting for me, so my hair is pretty long. Quite a dilemma!

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:19 pm

I had very poor hygeine until my mid-twenties, when I adapted to better fit in. Now, I'm uncomfortable if I'm not clean.

I still don't like the feel of deoderant, although I do use it.

My hair's a mess, but then I'm a balding 57 year old man. I probably should use some sory of gel or something, but I really hate anything like that.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2007, 9:23 pm

Growing up I did, it took me until my late teens to learn how to have decent hygiene. I hardly ever clipped my nails, getting my hair cut, neglected washing certain areas, I wore the same clothes everyday without washing them for awhile, I didn't wipe my ass good enough, and not brushing my teeth for days. 8O I never understood the importance of hygiene and didn't realize I had bad hygiene, I partly blame my crappy parents though(no pun intended). I was one fat, ugly, smelly loser growing up.

Now I have decent hygiene (I'm 23 now). It takes me 20 minutes to take a shower, I try to clean every nook and cranny. Also now I am in good shape, I lost 90 lbs when I was 19.

Last edited by Jimbogf on 15 May 2007, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:24 pm

i used to think my hair was clean when it felt all silky smooth from putting conditioner in it.... sure it dried fine and looked super shiny in the morning... but it quickly became grease city and appeared really dirty.... i think that dely in the grease buildup is why i never associated the effect with my washing procedure. i kept doing this until i was told how to wash my hair... i don't remember how that happened (must have been embarassing!), but i remember being shocked that my nasty hair was a result of me washing it improperly... cause i washed it every night... must have stopped doing this in middle school sometime... so around 10-12 yrs-old, i would say.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2007, 9:25 pm

grooming myself is such a chore. Being a lazy bastard, I don't do a very good job with it. I do manage to take a shower most mornings, shave once a week, brush my teeth when I remember to, and put on deodorant before I go to work.

I don't own a comb, though.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:25 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
I don't like showering (but I make sure I do it anyway of course). It's because it takes so long for my hair to dry. I hate having wet hair, but I hate hair dryers more so I always let it air-dry. In addition, cutting my hair is upsetting for me, so my hair is pretty long. Quite a dilemma!

Yea I hate cutting my hair also, it has to at least stay to my shoulder or that will bother me. I also hate hair dryers too, because for some reason the noise really bothers me but, It takes so long for my hair to air dry and if it does, I end up looking like a poodle because of how curly my hair is.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:49 pm

I have to let my hair air dry-I cannot figure out how to get my whole head dry using a blow dryer-there's always one spot that just seems to stay damp forever no matter how long I try to get it, and the back I can't even try to line up properly with the blow dryer. When my hair was longer, I'd attempt once in a while at hairstyles, but they never looked right to me, or the rubberbands weren't tight enough, wasn't lined up evenly-it was always something. Now I got my hair chopped off and it's still a pain, the style I have looks best if I use a hair straightener, but I never pull the straightener straight down, it's always at an angle. I can't seem to get my arms to do what I want them to when I need them to do it, lol, and hair gel for the back part of it is just a pain so I get kind of this afro thing going on 'cuz I'm too lazy to do it, and don't like the sticky feeling it leaves on my hands when playing with my hair.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:49 pm

Sedaka wrote:
i used to think my hair was clean when it felt all silky smooth from putting conditioner in it.... sure it dried fine and looked super shiny in the morning... but it quickly became grease city and appeared really dirty.... i think that dely in the grease buildup is why i never associated the effect with my washing procedure. i kept doing this until i was told how to wash my hair... i don't remember how that happened (must have been embarassing!), but i remember being shocked that my nasty hair was a result of me washing it improperly... cause i washed it every night... must have stopped doing this in middle school sometime... so around 10-12 yrs-old, i would say.

Which is the way you're supposed to wash your hair?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:50 pm

Jimbogf wrote:
Also now I am in good shape, I lost 90 lbs when I was 19.

Wow, congratulations! That takes willpower!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:51 pm

nobodyzdream wrote:
I have to let my hair air dry-I cannot figure out how to get my whole head dry using a blow dryer-there's always one spot that just seems to stay damp forever no matter how long I try to get it, and the back I can't even try to line up properly with the blow dryer. When my hair was longer, I'd attempt once in a while at hairstyles, but they never looked right to me, or the rubberbands weren't tight enough, wasn't lined up evenly-it was always something. Now I got my hair chopped off and it's still a pain, the style I have looks best if I use a hair straightener, but I never pull the straightener straight down, it's always at an angle. I can't seem to get my arms to do what I want them to when I need them to do it, lol, and hair gel for the back part of it is just a pain so I get kind of this afro thing going on 'cuz I'm too lazy to do it, and don't like the sticky feeling it leaves on my hands when playing with my hair.

I know people who can French braid their own hair. I can barely braid my hair the regular way though, and then it's never neat.

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2007, 9:52 pm

My mom gets on me about this all the time...I am almost 19 and we are STILL having this battle. She says it's a sign of depression but I just recently figured out it was a part of AS. I wash myself when I become visibly dirty (and before I smell), but I don't shower every day...in fact will go several days to even a week or so without showering. It is just a chore to me. Not the shower itself, because I love that, but I guess I just dislike the rapid shifts in environment (being hot and dry, being hot and wet, being cool and wet, etc). It's annoying to have to adapt to all that in such a small frame of time. Plus I think a bit of OCD is attributed to this...if I'm clean I feel like EVERYTHING has to be clean (clean sheets, clean room, etc) and as soon as I walk around after a shower I start to pick up dog hair and pollen and dirt etc so it's either continually wash everything to keep things in a continued state of clean or let things slide for a bit.

Avian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2007, 9:56 pm

I only manage to shave/brush teeth about once a week; but I'm always hidden away in my room, so it doesn't make any real difference.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 10:02 pm

When I was a kid, I refused to have my hair brushed and would go to school everyday with it all tangled up. Then my mum insisted on brushing my hair everyday, but I refused to do it myself because I couldn't do it properly. It makes my arms tired and a bunch of hairs fall out and end up all over my clothes and arms. Brushing my teeth also makes my arms tired as well as sore. Washing my hair is awful, not only because it makes my arms tired, but because I get a cramp in my neck. I haven't shaved my legs in months because I hate standing on one leg. I tend to slip a lot and it makes my leg tired. I'm also obsessive compulsive and I have to wash my hands in between each task, because I can't brush my hair if I have a bit of moisturizer in my hands and so on. Also, my mum just had the bathroom re-done and she makes me wipe off the entire shower after each time I use it, which is a pain in the ass.