A little relative of mine with an ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 7:50 am

I'm having issues with the possibility of my own AS when doctors have brought it randomly up recently and I've was called by the nurses in the psych ward when my depression was acting up last week "the woman with Asperger's" but still no mention of confirming it.

Now I'm moving only two houses down from my cousin's house. She has a girl with a diagnosed ASD that started off non-verbal but now she is and is attending school.

If I'm having these issues how much should I be exposed to this little relative?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 10:12 am

Probably the same as any other kid. And if she's attending special education, she's probably already seen people with issues like yours already.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 1:22 pm

There is no reason why you can't be exposed to her. Why would there be? Especially if she is your little cousin. Just because we have ASD does not mean we can't be around kids or kids who have it. She is a person just like you are. She is your family. There is no danger in you spending time with her that is any different from any other kid spending time with you. If you have issues where you might hurt her or other kids than of course, you should be exposed to her but simply having ASD is not a reason to not be around kids or people. And because you and she both have ASD, you may find that you get along extremely well and might become great friends. You might understand each other very well and get along beautifully. I have had that experience with ASD kids. Since we are two of a kind, we get along great.

What exactly are you concerned about with being around her?

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 2:15 pm

Asperger's Syndrome, autism, etc., are not contagious!! !! !!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 3:53 pm

You should contact her as much as possible - assuming you are OK with kids and she likes spending time with you.
You both are going to benefit from this. You will learn some care giving and social skills and also get some cure for your depression (kids have a lot of energy to share) and she will have someone experienced and understanding(like-minded) to teach her how to deal with life and explain her issues to parents.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Asperger's Syndrome, autism, etc., are not contagious!! ! ! ! !

But the symptoms are contagious between people with AS, autism etc. One ASD person does one thing, the other finds it a brilliant idea, tries it too and starts doing it as well because it feels nice/natural. :wink:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 6:20 pm

Kiriae wrote:

kraftiekortie wrote:
Asperger's Syndrome, autism, etc., are not contagious!! ! ! ! !

But the symptoms are contagious between people with AS, autism etc. One ASD person does one thing, the other finds it a brilliant idea, tries it too and starts doing it as well because it feels nice/natural. :wink:
LOL! Love it!

Wreck It Ralph

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 8:41 pm

I think i didnt clarify because i often assume people understand what i meant when it is in fact not clear... Im just afraid she will remind me of my own struggles... I havent seen her in a couple of years and back then she was just repeating words and not having conversations. My husband (NT) was trying to engage her like a NT child and he was confused by her responces to him.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:52 pm

I understand why you might be insecure then. Spend some time with her and see how you feel. She might actually be able to help you deal with your insecurities about your past. It might be really good for you.

Wreck It Ralph