Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2017, 12:19 am

Is there any place where people go to critique therapists? I've never been sure about this therapist I've been working with, and at this point I'm particularly not sure that I should continue. I would really appreciate some other people's takes on him, maybe I would understand what's going on better.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2017, 11:41 am

There are usually Google reviews on doctors. Just Google the therapist's name and the name of the office they work at or the area it's in. Worked for me.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 9:20 pm

Therapists and psychiatrists are as useful as soap made from mud.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2017, 3:48 pm

fluter wrote:
Is there any place where people go to critique therapists? I've never been sure about this therapist I've been working with, and at this point I'm particularly not sure that I should continue. I would really appreciate some other people's takes on him, maybe I would understand what's going on better.

Do you pay for your therapy? If so, it should be easy to find some reviews online. If your therapist works for a large public funded organisation, finding information about them will be more challenging.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries but I live in the UK and my therapy was free on the NHS. That sounds great, but because you're not paying, it is very 'one size fits all', and you can't choose your therapist. Mine wasn't great and I didn't particularly like her, so I would've appreciated the opportunity to check her out online first to see if she would've been a good fit for me, but I could find nothing apart from a few paragraphs about her on a CAT therapy website.

Her discriptions were vague, no qualifications were mentioned and she said that as well as working for the NHS, she also runs a private practice - she didn't say where though, which was rather odd, so I was left at a dead end.

There really needs to be a system where we have access to as much information as possible about our therapists - positive or negative - because it will enable us to make better, more informed choices.

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2017, 3:54 pm

Well, I also want to know whether it's normal to feel you need a second therapist to help you in coping with your therapist.

Yes, I pay, but not a lot. I'm aware that I'm probably a drain on him; he told me himself at the first session that it's an exorbitantly small amount of money. His private practice is in one of the richest neighborhoods in the United States, so he's used to charging really high rates.

The exorbitantly low rate though? It is 75% of my disposable income. And I don't pay any monthly health insurance or go to general physicians, because if I did, I not only would have no disposable income, I wouldn't have money to get to work.

I pay him the same amount as a therapist that I used to go to, and I remember that therapist once laughed at me for accusing of keeping me on his roster just for the money, even though we both knew I was hopeless.

I pay this much money so I can do what though? Feel suicidal like I did when I was in my twenties? I finally found some peace in my 30s, and get ambitious, wanted to go to a therapist who knew about ASD so I could learn to network and maybe get a more stable income. And the outcome? I want to die. Every day.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm

fluter wrote:
Well, I also want to know whether it's normal to feel you need a second therapist to help you in coping with your therapist.

Yes, I pay, but not a lot. I'm aware that I'm probably a drain on him; he told me himself at the first session that it's an exorbitantly small amount of money. His private practice is in one of the richest neighborhoods in the United States, so he's used to charging really high rates.

The exorbitantly low rate though? It is 75% of my disposable income. And I don't pay any monthly health insurance or go to general physicians, because if I did, I not only would have no disposable income, I wouldn't have money to get to work.

I pay him the same amount as a therapist that I used to go to, and I remember that therapist once laughed at me for accusing of keeping me on his roster just for the money, even though we both knew I was hopeless.

I pay this much money so I can do what though? Feel suicidal like I did when I was in my twenties? I finally found some peace in my 30s, and get ambitious, wanted to go to a therapist who knew about ASD so I could learn to network and maybe get a more stable income. And the outcome? I want to die. Every day.

Sorry you feel so bad at the moment. Your therapist is taking advantage of your vulnerability. If you want therapy that's 100% cheaper you can come on here for free help. The Haven part of this forum always has lots of people who will give support and people share ideas and ask for advice on in this part - General Autism Discussion.

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2017, 5:11 pm

Fifasy, why do you say he's taking advantage of my vulnerability? Is it because all therapists do that, or is there something I typed that indicates that?

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm

Mainly because of the money. If I was a therapist I wouldn't feel right taking 75% of someone's disposable income to see me. Even if they're offering you a reduced rate that must still be quite expensive.

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2017, 5:57 pm

hmmm. Well, is $50 for 45 minutes low?

(He doesn't know that it costs me 75% of my disposable income, so I don't know if he's purposely taking advantage or not.)

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 6:15 pm

That doesn't sound that cheap to me. If you feel like you want to die every day it can't be worth that much money. You gave it a go and credit to you for trying to get help but is it worth carrying on with it? I recommend you spend the money on something that makes you feel better, or save it, it's always nice to know you have some money for times you need it.