Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

sam0091
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2017, 10:22 am

I came over this thread on an Joaquin Phoenix fansite and the poster suspects that he is on the Spectrum.

http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=4855.0

Quote:
Could he be on the autism spectrum? Many people with Asperger's are phenomenal actors because they are so observant and have to spend so much time studying how other people express themselves, and because they are often good memorizers who are comfortable with following a script. And Joachim's manner in the Letterman interview reminds me of the kids I know with autism -- the ones who are verbal, at least. People with Asperger's often share similiar verbal tics.

After reading this it made me think wether he could have Aspergers? He has never been much of an interviewee, IMO. He also has quite an odd personality and also had a meltdown on David Letterman in 2009 when he annouced he was retiring from acting to be a rapper; (though I think this was more of a joke than anything).

He has also talked about suffering from anxiety on film sets too:

Quote:
"I don't know my craft!" he exclaims. "Every f*****g movie, I feel like it's my first. I'm uncontrollably shaking, physically nervous. No way am I like, 'Yeah, I got this'. Every time feels f*****g terrifying."

"[I have] weeks of incredible anxiety," he said. "They have to put f*****g pads in my armpits because I sweat so much that it drips down my wardrobe."

It is often said that people with Aspergers make 'great' actors; possibly due to the fact that they are great at faking social skills which Dr. Tony Attwood acknowledges in his 2014 book Faking It. What do you all think?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

I think there's been umpteen actors who have been suspected of being autistic based on trivial things about them.

The Letterman appearance was a hoax to promote a fake documentary about him.