Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2018, 3:11 am

A lot of NT's (probably all of them) have an ego.

I don't really have it, not sure if that is Aspergers or not.
I just don't really feel less than others or better than others. For instance if someone is really good at maths I don't place them above myself, or treat them differently. I wouldn't look down on someone that doesn't have good spelling.

I can judge people for their bad decisions (decisions that I deem poor), eg large face tattoo.

If someone was a criminal I would not associate with them, but perhaps they have a mental condition that causes that (addiction), so I would not really hate them for their behaviour.

Any AS people here have ego's?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Apr 2018, 3:38 am

"Ego" means "I".

In Ferudian and Yungian models, and all the followups, Ego is (simplifying the broad spectrum of concepts) what one consciously thinks of themself. Their self-image.
I'm sure you have some.

You seem not to follow social hierarchies. I don't recognize pecking orders, too. But I definitely have a self-image.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2018, 4:44 am

Yeah, I don't care for pecking orders.
My understanding of pecking orders is that they're determined by people's ego's.

For instance people settle into a pecking position because they recognise another has a bigger ego.
And sometimes two ego's can compete and have conflict for a position.

I don't really vie for positions, and some people think that means I'm lower than them and they'll look down on me.
Also I find others determine that I have a big ego or have some other trait that means I'm above them in the pecking order, they become jealous or try to take me down.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 5:28 am

I'm a fairly emotionless person most of the time. No ego really to feel superior or ego to bruise. This is becoming more prevalent as I get older.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 2:30 pm

I think I've averaged pretty low on ego intensity, but the meditation people say that it is very hard to lose entirely, and I concur. Science goes much better if one is just wedded to finding the truth, so that when proven wrong, the reaction is gratitude for the better understanding.

Mahael
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Apr 2018, 4:24 pm

I cant believe some peoples here are intelligent enough to have a better attitude then things.

I know i can easily drop an attitude when it is right.
I can hate a person for some time and stop doing it when i think better...
For example i would hate someone i dont like at a restaurent and stop doing it
because i dont care about such things.

The hate come off just like pressing a button. Is it normal?

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2018, 4:35 pm

No, I tend to know what I can do and what I can't do, but am matter of fact about it. I don't see any reason to be egotistical. I suppose I have a self image, but not in a proud sort of way. I do not respect hierarchies at all, which I suspect is very Aspie. I would not regard anyone as better than me because they hold a higher position in an organisation. I certainly don't pander to other people's image of themselves, or ego.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 11:52 am

I have more of an attitude than an Ego.

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 12:17 pm

It's not something I like to admit but my ego can, at times, can be easily inflated. NTs seem to have a hard time uninflating their egos though... At least imho.

BeeMan4476
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2018, 1:08 am

I oftentimes feel there is no "me," as I have no desires, wants, or passions. I do the things every living mammal does to stay alive, but I don't do them to stroke any ego. This is probably the main reason I can't connect to other people. Everything they do seems to revolve around stroking their ego.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 1:37 am

BeeMan4476 wrote:
I oftentimes feel there is no "me," as I have no desires, wants, or passions. I do the things every living mammal does to stay alive, but I don't do them to stroke any ego. This is probably the main reason I can't connect to other people. Everything they do seems to revolve around stroking their ego.

Try hanging out with Buddhists. They won't say anything that might swell your ego, and it isn't polite to praise them either. Other meditation/spiritual groups are similar. It isn't all "prosperity gospel."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 6:42 am

Intellectually I'm strongly aware of the individual's tendency to overestimate their "worth" and to protect their self-esteem with irrational thinking, and if it comes up in my conscious thoughts I try not to let it influence me, but emotionally I think I've often felt threatened by threats to my sense of pride, and some of those threats have been the kind of things that most folks seem to just accept.

For example, having to work for an employer felt somehow beneath me, and I always felt that being of independent means was a cut above that - freeman or artisan class beats servant class. I dislike menial work, though I only feel justified in avoiding it when an authority I don't trust coerces me into doing it - if it's fairly shared out, I don't like it any better but I don't feel my pride is threatened if I do it.

I feel a lot of disdain towards large swathes of the uneducated underclass, hard-working competitive types, and leaders. It's hard to avoid the logical conclusion that if they're all wrong-headed, I must be one of relatively few right-headed people.

I think I do quite well on the whole, I don't see my financial security as much to be proud of, I see it as having been mostly a matter of luck.

According to a meditation book that impressed me with its clear thinking, it's not possible to abolish this ego thing. The minute a person makes any progress on it, they begin to enjoy the notion that they're less of an egomaniac than those millions who never made the effort.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 7:34 am

If I have an ego, it's "screwed" like how I have a screwed sense of fear, and a bit more complicated than that.
And I mean screwed sense of fear, I meant by being less responsive or atypically respond towards the unknown and what supposedly danger is.

I don't know. I couldn't truly see myself as better or worse. Not even during my worst years, when I tried to be 'better' or ended up into being 'worse' whenever I insist some facts.
Sure, I would like to outperform people -- but not to feel better for myself and towards/against others, but to have less needs and worries to deal with.
To stay out of the cycle of competition and cooperation at best, to be an exception of things at worst.

If I were insulted, or demeaned, my reactions and feelings are rather inconsistent for whatever reason.
Someone could slap me for no reason, and retaliate harder than any person might have as if I'm fighting for my life.
Someone could also slap me for no reason, and laughed it off like nothing.

Whenever I look on the mirror, or even hear or read my name, sometimes I see or hear a stranger even if I'm usually myself nor had any identity crisis to speak of.

It's like I have a weird mood when I have no ego to regard to.
And there's another mood where I do have an ego and pride to speak of.
The latter likes hiding behind the former whenever it's convenient. :twisted:

I'm sure that I don't have a split personality to speak of. :lol: More like striding between worlds. Times I lean to one side, then times I lean more to another.

Then there's something else -- that feeling that whatever it is, something about something that won't last. Like I'm always ready to depart this life and 'identity', no matter how 'settled' and 'secured' I'm, and no matter how confident I'm on how long my lifespan might've been.

I couldn't truly gauge my self worth. All I know is that I have 'enough' to grow.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Anthracite_Impreza
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2018, 8:16 am

If by ego you mean an over-inflated ego, no, I make a big effort to keep myself in check and maintain humility. If by ego you mean a sense of self then yes. I get embarrassed, ashamed, have a desire to avoid these things, and yes I think of myself on a regular basis. That kind of ego is perfectly normal to most people, autistic or not, because it evolved to keep us safe and healthy.

I doubt it's related to ASD; some people are just big-headed and some aren't (my NT auntie is the most selfless person you will ever meet).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 8:33 am

neither more, nor less, than anyone else.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

I would say about average.