Does it sound like I have a bad temper?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 9:08 am

Unless someone else has insulted, humiliated or provoked me or someone I give a s**t about, I'm calm, collected and try to deal with things rationally. However, if someone has insulted, humiliated or provoked me or someone I give a s**t about, I snap and instantly make it my mission to retaliate against the person responsible. I never have believed in turning the other cheek as I feel it makes people weaker and more easily taken advantage of. So for example, if someone insults me, I insult them back so that they understand there are consequences for their actions. I never forgive them until they've repented and shown sufficient remorse and continue to hold a grudge.

So, how bad would you say my temper is?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:11 am

Pretty bad, to be honest. (Joke)

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2017, 9:19 am

On the surface, your behavior is logical, but let me ask you two things:

1. Is this behavior healthy for you? Holding onto wrongs people have done you? Could perhaps misinterperetaion of other's playful and unserious insults lead to a grossly overwhelming retaliation that could cause yourself to be cut off by other people?
2. Do you think the lessons you are trying to get across to people get across? I know there is a Newtonian splendour to your thinking (an action results in an equal and opposite reaction) but, as Dale Carnegie noted in "How to Win Friends and Influence People", people are beasts of emotion, not of logic. Do you think they see your logic, or do they response emotionally?

I'm not judging, just trying to give a different perspective on things. Sometimes interacting with people logically doesn't turn out the way we intend.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 9:20 am

Stoic0209 wrote:
On the surface, your behavior is logical, but let me ask you two things:

1. Is this behavior healthy for you? Holding onto wrongs people have done you? Could perhaps misinterperetaion of other's playful and unserious insults lead to a grossly overwhelming retaliation that could cause yourself to be cut off by other people?
2. Do you think the lessons you are trying to get across to people get across? I know there is a Newtonian splendour to your thinking (an action results in an equal and opposite reaction) but, as Dale Carnegie noted in "How to Win Friends and Influence People", people are beasts of emotion, not of logic. Do you think they see your logic, or do they response emotionally?

I'm not judging, just trying to give a different perspective on things. Sometimes interacting with people logically doesn't turn out the way we intend.

Don't worry, I don't have a problem knowing when people are joking, so I don't have to worry about that. As for the actually malicious people, they need to learn there are consequences in order to be kept in line.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:32 am

I don't know you. I can't really say you have a bad temper.

You sound pretty reasonable to me. I agree with some things you say; others, I don't agree with.

I used to have a bad temper when I was a kid; I grew out of that for the most part.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:43 am

I'm supposed to be bad-tempered, illogical and miserable because I'm an artist. My parents didn't like believing in such a stereotype when I was young and not diagnosed, but...

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 10:28 am

You must be involved in punch-ups quite often, then?

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 10:30 am

anti_gone wrote:

It's always verbal situations and that's it. I never hold back verbally though, that's for sure.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 10:31 am

CuriousButDepressed wrote:
anti_gone wrote:

It's always verbal situations and that's it. I never hold back verbally though, that's for sure.

And there was never someone who wanted to beat you up for that? ;)

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2017, 10:39 am

anti_gone wrote:
anti_gone wrote:

Surprisingly no, though I live in Boston. What'd you expect, people who actually talk the talk and walk the walk? I suppose next you'll tell me a worm will be President.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 10:53 am

anti_gone wrote:
anti_gone wrote:

Surprisingly no, though I live in Boston. What'd you expect, people who actually talk the talk and walk the walk? I suppose next you'll tell me a worm will be President.

That's really surprising. I live in one of the safest cities in Europe and was in a few situations where guys wanted to beat up my bf or someone else for virtually nothing (usually very drunk people).

But of course it depends on time and location...things like that are more likely to happen at night and near clubs and stuff like that.