New here; interested in learning from others..

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm

So as the title suggests; I'm new. I recently read The Reason I Jump and was alarmed at how many things I have in common with the author. I'm not saying my condition is anywhere near as severe as his but after reading multiple peer-reviewed articles and watching many YouTube videos; I am fully convinced that I suffer with what used to be known as Asperger Syndrome.

I basically have every symptom of high functioning autism minus speech impairment. Which, according to my research, is a clear cut case of Asperger's. What I think sets me aside from others on the spectrum is that I sustained a traumatic brain injury about three years ago and it's made life even more difficult than it already was... emotionally, cognitively, etc. My depression, my anxiety, my obsessive rumination, my mood swings, my OCD, my ADD, my digestive problems... everything was exponentially amplified by my brain trauma.

I'm currently in search of a diagnosis for when I go back to school; I was recently told by a very old and out of touch psychiatrist that there's no way I'm on the spectrum because I'm too articulate. I tried to convey to her that I've spent my early twenties trying to teach myself to behave like a normal person (an effort that I've clearly been successful with,) but she wasn't having it. She insisted that I come across as too normal to be autistic. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

So yea... just wanted to talk to some people like me. I have no friends and am completely exhausted by social interaction.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:44 am

Hello. Your experience with the psychiatrist is unfortunately all too common. Don't waste your time with anyone in mental health who does not specialize in ASD, and, if possible, adult diagnosis. I was lucky to have had a psychiatrist humble enough to admit his lack of experience with ASD and courteous enough to refer me to someone who was knowledgeable. All the best!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:02 am

Too articulate :roll: Aspies are generally very articulate. Hans Asperger described HFA children as sounding like little professors. Even I'm articulate textually.

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 8:29 am

EzraS wrote:
Too articulate :roll: Aspies are generally very articulate. Hans Asperger described HFA children as sounding like little professors. Even I'm articulate textually.

Yea that's what I said! It was upsetting at first but I thought about it and remembered reading about how difficult it is for HFA's to get a diagnosis. It's not just me who thinks I'm on the spectrum. Everyone in my life who learns about autism completely agrees with me. It's been extremely enlightening but damning at the same time. I've always carried this hope that things will change one day but learning about this has doomed me to struggle for the rest of my days.

Thank you Redxk! Unfortunately the mental health services in my area are EXTREMELY limited. Based on what I've heard, it's especially difficult to get a diagnosis around here, let alone any sort of help. I'll have to do some more searching for a qualified psychiatrist.

I've also been told that there really isn't much they can do, especially in the case of adults. Have any of you had success with therapy or medications? I don't know what else to expect as far as help is concerned. I have an acute sensitivity to medications and they'd have to give me sleep meds, ADD meds, antidepressants or antipsychotics for the bipolar, etc... I'm frightened at the thought of being so doped up, riddled with side effects.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

Another here to back up how the "articulate" trait is in fact a very oft-occurring one.

That doctor doesn't know what she's talking about -- sadly another regular occurrence.

There isn't much in the way of help for adult-diagnosed people, although that varies greatly from country to country. Unless you are also found to have a co-morbid (depression, anxiety, bi-polar) that can be helped by medications, you don't need to be doped up just for having Aspergers/ASD.

It is good to research how to develop you own coping methods and management of traits and symptoms, though, and there are a few good books out there for adults with ASD.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:48 am

That psychiatrist is either completely ignorant about ASD or an idiot. I had a psychiatrist once tell me I can't be Autistic because I have emotions! Find. A diagnostician who specializes in diagnosing adults or at least who understands and knows how to. And provide evidence (examples) and proof of your traits and symptoms not just from before your brain injury but as far back into your childhood as possible. Get loved ones to help with that if they can.

When I was preparing for my diagnosis, i used Tony Attwood's book, The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome. As I read it the second time, I wrote down examples of everything in that book that applied to me with examples from the present and with examples going as far back in my childhood as i could. It ended up being a huge document but my diagnostician found it massively helpful.

If you do that now, it will be ready to share with a diagnostician once you find a good one.

Wreck It Ralph

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

Yea she also said I was too in touch with my emotions! She's under the impression that in order to qualify for Aspergers one should be semi-nonverbal; unable to self-evaluate and conceivably emotionless. I'm like lady you just described mid to low functioning autism. I agree; she's clueless lol.

I just ordered the book on amazon. I already have a list of symptoms but this will help me develop a more comprehensive one, thanks.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

The Reason I Jump is an excellent book. I have a special interest in Japan and the author writes very eloquently about autism and the difficulties it causes him. I tend to startle easily at strange noises as well, so I can relate to a lot of what the author writes about. He is also smart and a fascinating writer.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:03 am

IstominFan wrote:
The Reason I Jump is an excellent book. I have a special interest in Japan and the author writes very eloquently about autism and the difficulties it causes him. I tend to startle easily at strange noises as well, so I can relate to a lot of what the author writes about. He is also smart and a fascinating writer.

I have read fantastic reviews about that book and plan to read it as well.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

salowevision wrote:
Yea she also said I was too in touch with my emotions! She's under the impression that in order to qualify for Aspergers one should be semi-nonverbal; unable to self-evaluate and conceivably emotionless. I'm like lady you just described mid to low functioning autism. I agree; she's clueless lol.

I just ordered the book on amazon. I already have a list of symptoms but this will help me develop a more comprehensive one, thanks.
Actually many very severely affected Autistic people are extremely self aware and very in touch with their emotions. We have quite a few members here, I know we have had very eloquent and super intelligent severely Autistic members in the past anyway. Some of their posts were among my favorites and I learned a lot from them.

She doesn't understand Autism at all. If she is not willing or able to learn, she should keep her ignorant opinions to herself.

Wreck It Ralph

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 10:17 am

It's an easy read. I've always had trouble with reading because my mind is too easily distracted. It's like I'm reading the words aloud in my head but my brain is ruminating about other things and before you know it, I've read an entire page and didn't register it. If ya know what I mean.

This book is written in Q&A format. It's easy to focus and receive the message. Which I think is neat... like it was written by an autistic person so it's written in a way that's compatible with the autistic mind.

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 10:45 am

skibum wrote:
Actually many very severely affected Autistic people are extremely self aware and very in touch with their emotions. We have quite a few members here, I know we have had very eloquent and super intelligent severely Autistic members in the past anyway. Some of their posts were among my favorites and I learned a lot from them.

That's good to hear. I've been doubting myself because I'm an emotional wreck with damn near every anxiety disorder under the sun. And it seems the 'emotionless' stereotype still persists among the professional circle.

She pretty much blamed everything on my ADD. Her synopsis of me was that I was an odd kid with ADD, anxiety disorders and severe depression. I'm like you basically just described Asperger Syndrome.......... I didn't have the cognitive wherewithal to relay everything to her; I have a big long list of autistic traits but I didn't have them written down at the time. Plus I'm really bad at recalling things and conversing when put on the spot.

I'd initially gone to see her for bipolar medication; she insisted that I'm not bipolar and gave me samples of an antidepressant (the type of drug that makes me highly agitated) that hasn't been approved by the FDA and sent me on my way. She was recommended by my concussion doctor; I'm beginning to question his guidance....

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:58 am

I am extremely emotional and I can get anxiety attacks multiple times a day. This is very common especially in Autistic/Aspie females. We also tend to struggle with an Autistic version of PTSD. My psychologist had asked me about my anxiety attacks. He asked how often they came. He asked, "Are they once a year, once a month, every couple of weeks?" I said, "Every few hours sometimes." He was shocked. He could not believe it.

You also have to remember that in Autism, we don't have the same emotional and sensory filters that nts have. So just like we can't filter out sensory input, we can't filter out emotional input either. And emotional overload affects us the same way that sensory overload does and sometimes we are dealing with both at tge same time. So, because we lack the emotional filters, we feel our emotions and anxieties much much stronger than nts do. They can tune out sensory and emotional input. We cannot.

Wreck It Ralph

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

salowevision wrote:
It's an easy read. I've always had trouble with reading because my mind is too easily distracted. It's like I'm reading the words aloud in my head but my brain is ruminating about other things and before you know it, I've read an entire page and didn't register it. If ya know what I mean.

This book is written in Q&A format. It's easy to focus and receive the message. Which I think is neat... like it was written by an autistic person so it's written in a way that's compatible with the autistic mind.

I might be able to read it then! I can't focus on anything that doesn't interest me. But then again, autism does interest me, so I would probably be able to read it anyway :D .

As for your psychiatrist, I wouldn't listen to them. When a psychologist gives you an answer like that, you can trust that they don't know anything about what they are dealing with and are just making excuses based on common stereotypes. Like EzraS said, one of the symptoms in the Gillberg Criteria for Asperger's (some clinicians use it, others don't) is superficially perfect expressive language, as well as formal, pedantic language. Hans Asperger originally described the children he saw as "little professors" because they were so eloquent and verbally articulate about particular subjects or just in general. If you are able to, find a psychologist that specializes in autism. I have been to psychologists like the one you described in your post, and it is clear they don't know hardly anything about it (you can tell when you know more than them 8O ). They don't have to be old to be ignorant either, so finding a neuropsychologist who specializes in autism in adults is probably the best idea, IMO.

Good luck :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 11:10 am

Ugh I hate the gender stereotypes. I don't like thinking that I suffer with a feminine condition. I was under the impression that anxiety issues were universal in the world of autism. Meaning regardless of gender, autistic people are typically anxious... at least that's what I've concluded from my research.

I also think that even the statistics for neurosis among NT's is skewed because our society places immense pressure on men to never show emotion. Men typically don't seek help or talk about emotional problems.

Last edited by salowevision on 19 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Quote:
Ugh I hate the gender stereotypes. I don't like thinking that I suffer with a feminine condition. I was under the impression that anxiety issues were universal in the world of autism. Meaning regardless of gender, autistic people are typically anxious... at least that's what I've concluded from my research.

You are correct that people of both genders who have autism are typically anxious. However, I don't understand where you get the notion that autism is a "feminine condition", in fact, it's quite the opposite. Autism can be seen in females, though, and "female autism" can present in different ways than "male autism." Of course, these are not absolute, and some males with ASD might have "female autism" and vice versa. Simon Baron-Cohen even describes autism as an "extreme of the male brain." So you don't suffer from a "feminine condition", no.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine