Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Futzeru
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2017, 1:18 pm

I suspect I may possibly have SPD, as I have a lot of noticeable symptoms; sensitivity to the light, sound override, irritation and due to that I find it impossible to sit still and sometimes start biting myself and scratching myself... etc. I go to public school and the speaking in the classroom is overwhelmingly loud to me, and it causes all of these things for me, I start hitting the desk and clicking pens like mad to try and cope but I can't... I haven't told any teachers about this when it occurs, but I'm getting to the point where it's becoming unbearable for me to handle, and I really don't know what to do about it as I really would rather not talk to my parents about it.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

Why would you rather not talk to your parents about it? Do you have a poor relationship with them, or think they won't understand? Maybe telling a teacher would be the safest route for you, and than have her/him tell your parents. It sounds like you need some help and unfortunately the only way you'll get it is by telling somebody you can trust.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

If you don't want to talk to your parents about it, could you maybe talk to a school councillor or something?

It would probably still get back to your parents (they'd have to know if you have a disorder), but they probably have experience on how to initiate this kind of discussion, and it would mean that at least you're not having to take the initiative with your parents if you don't feel comfortable with that.