Difficulty with verbal directions/instructions-anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

When it comes to verbal directions/instructions I have difficulty retaining the information in my head. Especially if it involves multiple directions/instructions.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:05 pm

Yes. I have to have it all written down or I just forget.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2017, 12:55 pm

I hate YouTube instructional videos because nothing is written down. The worse part is that everybody these days says everything is easy, just look up how to do it on YouTube. Meanwhile, I will search around on the internet for a text version of the instructions instead.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:56 pm

I definitely have this problem too. I do much better with written instructions, so I can refer back to it to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I also remember what I read much better than what I hear.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm

Auditory processing slowness happens to me somewhat often. Sometimes, it is just with one instruction.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:02 pm

This trait really sucks at school when we have to pay attention to something the teacher says and then go and do it. In art class, my teacher was explaining how to do something but when I tried to do it, I couldn't even remember the first step :roll: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:39 pm

Yep. Auditory processing problems. I focus on the details (the individual letter sounds) and miss the big picture (the meaning of the sentence).

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

I definitely relate: I can follow a few steps of verbal direction, then I more or less lose track of what was said. It's as if remembering what I'm doing displaces remembering what was said and it all just flies out of my head. My verbal short-term memory is fragile. In my work, I had to be careful to write things down, because people tend to get upset if you ask them to repeat themselves too much. However I also have a horrible time following written instructions as they seem to assume you know what you're doing. Things like written step-by-step software installations would confound me because they would skip steps or would omit to say how to respond to certain queries. I guess that NTs just know those things automatically somehow, whereas I need every step described. I'm autistic and not verbal on the inside and hearing or reading verbal instructions takes a lot of internal translating on my part. The best way for me to learn is "hands on", where I actually do the described actions. When I could get coworkers to "walk me through" doing an action, I'd generally remember it much better. Watching someone else do the actions isn't the same as doing them myself, though. I was very gifted technically at my work which was quite complex, but there were definitely times when the learning impairment aspect of my autism was an issue and was hard to hide.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 9:06 pm

What was the question again?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

As far as I'm concerned, verbal instructions are the path to destruction.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 7:28 am

Raleigh wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, verbal instructions are the path to destruction.

:lol: Just this.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 9:13 am

I do better with instructions when they are presented in writing. I learn best by writing things down.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
This trait really sucks at school when we have to pay attention to something the teacher says and then go and do it. In art class, my teacher was explaining how to do something but when I tried to do it, I couldn't even remember the first step :roll: .

This. I'd often be accused of "not listening" and "not following directions" by my teachers when I was in school. 7th grade home ec was the worst...we had to use sewing machines and sew tote bags and it didn't matter how many times the teacher showed us what to do. It was a nightmare and I never knew what to do. And I also broke the needle almost every time I tried to do anything!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:01 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I always loved it when kids would always assume I never paid attention :roll:

It must have been so lovely to listen to the teacher talk and then can't remember what was said and always getting literally tired from listening my brain would start to shut down and my head getting real heavy I had to use my hand and arm to hold it up and my eyes would still close. I always blamed this on ADD because that is also a symptom of it. I didn't know ASD people also had a hard time with listening too and remembering directions.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

yes

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

*raises hand* I tend to separate things in my head, so trying to look at instructions for something can be confusing because I don't imagine the big picture. I also have crap working memory.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles