Is knowledge of ASD a worthwhile thing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

akn90
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2017, 6:52 am

I'm going through a particularly difficult period in time right now, so bear with me.

About two months ago, I first started learning about ASD, identified with a lot of the symptoms, and took some tests which showed my responses were more associated with people with ASD than NT people. Since then, I've alternated between wanting to learn more, and wanting to pretend I'd never learned about it at all. I thought having a better idea of why I am the way I am would be liberating in one sense (it's not my fault!) but that it would also allow me to develop better coping strategies.

So, in the past two months, I've been making an effort to do more social things than I otherwise would (I went to a few parties, very briefly, and I've been doing more impromptu social things with housemates, for instance), mostly to prove to myself that I can, I guess, with mixed results. Beyond this, however, things have either been remaining the same, or getting worse. I now have to supervise a few employees, which I hate, which is terrible for me quality of life, and which I'm not good at. How does knowing about the autism spectrum help with that? I am entering a stage in my career where networking plays a big role. How does knowing about the autism spectrum change the fact that at a banquet I can't stop thinking about how uncomfortable I am, that I notice my rocking, stop, and switch to punching myself in the arm, notice it, stop, and uncontrollably switch to another obnoxious fidget?

Things are sh***y in my life in general anyway. My closest friend (really, the only one I feel really comfortable around) died a few months ago, work is becoming increasingly stressful with responsibilities I can't handle, and the days are getting shorter which causes my depression to get worse. But still, how does the label ASD make any of this easier? When I read the forums here, I don't see a lot of people using their knowledge to make living in a NT-dominant world easier, I just see a lot of people demonizing NT people and acting superior. Whether or not AS or NT people are better doesn't help me one bit - I live in a world full of NT people, and need a job and some level of social interaction to survive. I need to socially interact with NT people constantly to maintain a job. So what benefit is there to learning more? How do undiagnosed autistic people with jobs manage to navigate the mental health maze alone to get a diagnosis? How do negotiate getting time off for getting a diagnosis while maintaining your privacy?

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:29 pm

Indeed acquiring a professional's label of "ASD" won't grant you any superpowers. It sounds like it won't even provide you with any new information. So, you have to decide if it's worthwhile for you. In my case, diagnosis got me assistance in school, but it sounds like you're beyond that stage (as I now am too).

The only benefit may be that of self-understanding, but it sounds like you're already working that out. As far as privacy, you could probably just say you're getting a "check-up" and leave it at that.

Some people disparage NTs here, as they've been poorly-treated themselves by them, but I don't think the majority do. Some of it is just merely satire with no ill-will, and quite a bit of cooperation between neurotypes of all stripes just trying to understand each other better.

Sorry to hear things aren't going well right now.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2017, 12:09 am

It's worth knowing what you would like to change about yourself. For that reason, I read a lot about ASD and sometimes I get an 'Aha!' moment. I've found something to work on. Example: ASDs sometimes do not know that other people can hear everything they say. That's me but I couldn't fix it until I found the problem.

Doctors and therapists can try to help but they can't even define it in the DSM. So, again, it comes back to your decisions. The knowledge you gather can empower you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

Seeing oneself as having ASD is something of a double-edged sword I think. For me the main downside was that it felt very daunting to look at all the things I'm unlikely ever to be able to do properly, and all the stories of social rejection and stigma, society's failure to take ASD seriously enough to make any positive adjustments for us, knowing I'm destined to suffer quite a lot of pain, etc.

But there are positive things too. Knowing about yourself, finding out what your strengths and weaknesses are, has to be a great help in working out practical coping strategies to limit the damage and use what Rdos calls "Aspie talents" to your advantage. For example, I know that I'm stronger than most people at error-checking, and when I perform a task, I might take a long time over it but my perfectionism will often get me a result that stands out from the crowd as an example of fine craftsmanship. I can shine a different light on things, and sometimes that can be pretty useful.

To some extent I've got a choice - I can grieve over the "broken leg" side of my autism, or I can take courage, protect myself using that knowledge (as somebody with a broken leg might put a splint on it), and try to use the good side of the situation to improve myself and help the world a little. I'll never be entirely content with the bad side, obviously, it'll always be a source of pain, but mostly I choose to play that side down and instead try and operate such powers as I have. What are you going to do?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 1:41 pm

Do you really have to tell people what you do with your time off? Where I work most things are just lumped into personal time off--sick days, doctors' appts, funerals, and vacation days. The exception is Jury Duty, as there are special rules on "wages" according to state law.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:39 pm

Generally I believe the old adage that knowledge is power. The qualifiers are how good/reliable and so on the source of knowledge is, and the ability/motivation to use it constructively. Another old adage is "know thyself". And it seems to me that a lot of people really don't know the inner levels of themselves, but live on the surface of themselves absorbing what goes on around them rather than looking inward to who they are.

Adage number three: you don't know what you don't know.

akn90

24 Oct 2017, 5:35 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
But there are positive things too. Knowing about yourself, finding out what your strengths and weaknesses are, has to be a great help in working out practical coping strategies to limit the damage and use what Rdos calls "Aspie talents" to your advantage. For example, I know that I'm stronger than most people at error-checking, and when I perform a task, I might take a long time over it but my perfectionism will often get me a result that stands out from the crowd as an example of fine craftsmanship. I can shine a different light on things, and sometimes that can be pretty useful.

To some extent I've got a choice - I can grieve over the "broken leg" side of my autism, or I can take courage, protect myself using that knowledge (as somebody with a broken leg might put a splint on it), and try to use the good side of the situation to improve myself and help the world a little. I'll never be entirely content with the bad side, obviously, it'll always be a source of pain, but mostly I choose to play that side down and instead try and operate such powers as I have. What are you going to do?

I guess I just don't see good options. The way I got the opportunity to be where I'm at now professionally is because I was able to do the same repetitive, boring task for a year with good productivity. I continue to get positive feedback often regarding my attention to detail with reports that I submit that I know other people don't get. However, as I progress, managing other people becomes more and more a part of my job, and my job also requires more and more flexibility. Managing the stress gets harder and harder. My alternative option is to retreat to a dead-end job doing work that I don't find meaningful. I choose meaningful work, but are the trade-offs acceptable or sustainable? I'm not sure.

I used to think that I could do anything with enough practice, and that I'd be able to get better with people when I got around to dealing with it. Well, a year or so ago, I decided it was time to finally work on that, and then six months ago is when I realized that things weren't getting any better and in fact they were getting worse. And now, what I'm feeling is disabled, which isn't something I've ever really felt before in my life. I'm not sure what to do with those feelings. I know the realization that there is something about me that's unable to connect with people came before I became aware of ASD, but the feeling of being disabled definitely happened after. However, my job responsibilities shifting to involving managing people also happened after I started learning about ASD, so having professional consequences to these issues I have could also be making me feel disabled. I guess what I'm getting at is that I hate feeling disabled, and I'm not sure if the only reason I feel disabled is because I've been reading about ASD. Does that make sense?

BTDT wrote:
Do you really have to tell people what you do with your time off?

My conditions of employment are poorly defined, and I think that's by design. I know legally speaking, my boss can't ask why I need time off for medical reasons, but I also know that in my field, employment law really doesn't matter since word of mouth reigns supreme, and no EEOC regulation can control what colleagues say amongst themselves, and if they admit to nothing, there is no evidence and no recourse. So even though this would probably not be a big deal or ruin my life or any of the things I fear, I also don't want to rock the boat.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm

Do you have vacation days that could be used instead of medical leave. Not the best solution, but if you really need to keep it secret...

akn90

24 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

BTDT wrote:
Do you have vacation days that could be used instead of medical leave. Not the best solution, but if you really need to keep it secret...

I do not officially have any paid time off, and I am paid on a salary that has no mechanism for taking unpaid time off, so any time off needs to be negotiated directly with my supervisor. Nightmare, right?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 6:35 pm

akn90 wrote:
I do not officially have any paid time off, and I am paid on a salary that has no mechanism for taking unpaid time off, so any time off needs to be negotiated directly with my supervisor. Nightmare, right?

Which suggests if you have a co-worker who badly needs time off for mental health reasons, it is quite likely that they won't get treatment. 8O

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2017, 7:35 pm

Gaining knowledge and learn is time that is never wasted.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

akn90 wrote:
I guess I just don't see good options. The way I got the opportunity to be where I'm at now professionally is because I was able to do the same repetitive, boring task for a year with good productivity. I continue to get positive feedback often regarding my attention to detail with reports that I submit that I know other people don't get. However, as I progress, managing other people becomes more and more a part of my job, and my job also requires more and more flexibility. Managing the stress gets harder and harder. My alternative option is to retreat to a dead-end job doing work that I don't find meaningful. I choose meaningful work, but are the trade-offs acceptable or sustainable? I'm not sure.

I used to think that I could do anything with enough practice, and that I'd be able to get better with people when I got around to dealing with it. Well, a year or so ago, I decided it was time to finally work on that, and then six months ago is when I realized that things weren't getting any better and in fact they were getting worse. And now, what I'm feeling is disabled, which isn't something I've ever really felt before in my life. I'm not sure what to do with those feelings. I know the realization that there is something about me that's unable to connect with people came before I became aware of ASD, but the feeling of being disabled definitely happened after. However, my job responsibilities shifting to involving managing people also happened after I started learning about ASD, so having professional consequences to these issues I have could also be making me feel disabled. I guess what I'm getting at is that I hate feeling disabled, and I'm not sure if the only reason I feel disabled is because I've been reading about ASD. Does that make sense?

Sad to say yes, it makes a lot of sense. I can certainly relate, I was lucky to have employers who were fairly non-Draconian, and even then my working life was quite painful. In my first job I got promoted and they expected me to push other staff around, I disappointed them but they didn't ultimately force the issue. My father had a similar experience, and was much happier when he rejected his promotion and returned to the shop floor. In my case they didn't even cut my salary. As we're working class, we never felt particularly guilty or inadequate for it. I was lucky too in that even the "lower-grade" work I stuck to gave me a lot of scope to pit my wits against the technical problems it presented. Similarly, I shunned a lot of the "higher" social antics and just got on with the work, they probably figured I was worth my salary and luckily they didn't push it.

I take your point about the discovery of ASD feeling like it's shut down all your hopes that you might have been able to rise above your limitations, as if you've been digging an escape tunnel for years and one day you find out there was a brick wall buried in your way there all the time and you don't have any tools strong enough to break it down. It's depressing for sure, but I think that feeling wears off to some extent, and new ideas and plans start to emerge as one comes to terms with the new situation. And I hope I didn't come over before as belittling what you're going through. It's hard to effectively urge people not to get depressed when the environment is actually pretty depressing.

akn90

25 Oct 2017, 4:38 am

:idea: Now that I think about it, there was one instance in the past where I felt disabled, and it's actually related to the first time I heard the term Asperger's. Kind of random, but why not share.

I remember in high school I was taking a writing course, and three weeks or so in came the first real writing assignment. I don't remember the assignment exactly, but I know it was about writing something personal, and I couldn't do it. It was too late in the semester so I couldn't transfer into a different class, so I asked a teacher I liked if I could be her student assistant (grading, filing, etc) for the semester to get out of the writing class (the only time I've dropped a class because I couldn't do the work). I remember one day when I was grading papers a fight broke out in the class, and the kid who always had a para-professional with him bolted out of the class, and it turns out it's because he had Asperger's. My reaction to the fight was that I just kept grading papers throughout the ordeal (I was on the other side of the room). People commented on how crazy it was that I kept grading papers but what else was I supposed to do lol. I ended up meeting the English requirement by taking a debate course the next year which was much more in my comfort zone.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 5:32 am

I'm on year 5 of this but still trying to decide what it means or how it's helpful.

It's important to understand how the condition affects you. For instance I have a friend who is also on the spectrum but he is totally different to me. My condition affects me mainly through health problems and anxiety, but also some social understanding. His condition is more centered around special interests , but he seems to have very little anxiety.

But there is a limiting factor to this knowledge which is how you are affected by society. Really what we need is immunity from work (unless we want to work), but I can't see that hapenning any time soon. We're also affected by how well medicine is able to treat us. So knowledge of the condition is important but it doesn't make all your problems go away.

Some people say that getting diagnosed too late makes it less worthwhile.

But the labels are not important and should be forgotten about really. There are no AS or NT people, there are just individuals. It's just a collection of traits that you stick an AS label onto but it doesn't really exist as such.

Last edited by Adamantus on 25 Oct 2017, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 5:36 am

akn90 wrote:
I'm going through a particularly difficult period in time right now, so bear with me.

About two months ago, I first started learning about ASD, identified with a lot of the symptoms, and took some tests which showed my responses were more associated with people with ASD than NT people. Since then, I've alternated between wanting to learn more, and wanting to pretend I'd never learned about it at all. I thought having a better idea of why I am the way I am would be liberating in one sense (it's not my fault!) but that it would also allow me to develop better coping strategies.

So, in the past two months, I've been making an effort to do more social things than I otherwise would (I went to a few parties, very briefly, and I've been doing more impromptu social things with housemates, for instance), mostly to prove to myself that I can, I guess, with mixed results. Beyond this, however, things have either been remaining the same, or getting worse. I now have to supervise a few employees, which I hate, which is terrible for me quality of life, and which I'm not good at. How does knowing about the autism spectrum help with that? I am entering a stage in my career where networking plays a big role. How does knowing about the autism spectrum change the fact that at a banquet I can't stop thinking about how uncomfortable I am, that I notice my rocking, stop, and switch to punching myself in the arm, notice it, stop, and uncontrollably switch to another obnoxious fidget?

Things are sh***y in my life in general anyway. My closest friend (really, the only one I feel really comfortable around) died a few months ago, work is becoming increasingly stressful with responsibilities I can't handle, and the days are getting shorter which causes my depression to get worse. But still, how does the label ASD make any of this easier? When I read the forums here, I don't see a lot of people using their knowledge to make living in a NT-dominant world easier, I just see a lot of people demonizing NT people and acting superior. Whether or not AS or NT people are better doesn't help me one bit - I live in a world full of NT people, and need a job and some level of social interaction to survive. I need to socially interact with NT people constantly to maintain a job. So what benefit is there to learning more? How do undiagnosed autistic people with jobs manage to navigate the mental health maze alone to get a diagnosis? How do negotiate getting time off for getting a diagnosis while maintaining your privacy?

Just say you are taking a few days off. Or how ever many days you have to take off. You don't have to tell them why..

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 7:38 am

If you are fairly sure you are on the spectrum and are able to recognise your difficulties I really don't see much point in adult diagnosis. I could not, so in that sense adult diagnosis was a useful learning curve for me but beyond that there is no help available and all you get is being given a label.