REG: When Children With ASD becaome Adults with ASD...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SOUND OFF: Do you think the schools and society are doing enough?
YES! There are plenty of resources available 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
YES! The school's job is done upon graduation or other exit from the system. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NO, there needs to be better supports in place for a post-educational life 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
I really don't know or have no opinion on this 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Some other opinion (stated in the comments below) 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Hi all:

I've noticed that when doing additional research about autism to better grasp it for my own understanding, I've found it's mainly diagnosed in childhood. Those children born in the 1990's are now grown up or on the verge of adulthood in the US. The systems and supports are designed for children what happens to us all when we age out of the school systems and IEPs that linked us to all the resources and supports we needed? for me, there was no autism-specific IEP because at the time most doctors who were saying I had autism were saying I had what was then called "Aspergers" which as we all know is on the higher-functioning end of the old model of the spectrum. now I go to access services and am told that I need an IEP that showed I had it before I was 18 and none of the schools I attended either can't find the records (even after giving them my old world name), or show no record of me being apsergers or autism diagnosed. My IEP mainly focused on me being Legally blind. Based on that I'm screwed for any sort of help these people could have provided me. Plus in addition to this, the resources for autism don't really exist very well in this town except the one just like transgender resources don't really exist in this town.

So what has happened once you've left the education system or what is planned for you once you leave the education and all the links and services of the EIP? Heck for fun, what would an ideal case scenario look like for you after you leave or had left the education system?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

- more than likely on a mobile device

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm

Not really.

In the US, there's very little in the way of resources for autistic adults over the age of 21. After a person reaches age 27, the pickings are even slimmer, because many health insurance plans include provisions for adult children 26 years or under. After a person's 27th birthday, that's it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:50 pm

There aren't even resources for adults on disability for mental health issues. Like Sheldon on BBT I just identified someone on disability who is pretty smart and asked.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

The school I went too didn't even help me as a child. I was a poster child for dyscalculia and dysgraphia but instead of the teachers suggesting my parents have me looked at by a professional, they just said I was lazy and told me my writing was "sloppy" and made me spend recess inside rewriting everything only for it to be "sloppy" too. Most of my teachers were just lazy and didn't care that I wasn't learning anything...because you pulled my desk to the far side of the classroom and f*****g isolated me, b***h!