Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SOUND OFF: What do you think of the “Nonverbal Wedding” concept?
I love it! Do it (pre-programmed “My Wedding” Page 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
I love it! Do it (dynamically type everything “in the moment”) 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Just be verbal like everyone else 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I am indifferent / I Don’t Know 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Some other opinion stated in the comments 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

Hello everyone!

My fiancée (Alexis) and I are planning to get married sometime in this near future (estimated sometime in 2018). And this was originally presented a a “joke item” in one of our phone calls, but we both agree that we both want to “grow old together” and so if we were to have a small wedding, it would be a “nonverbal wedding” because I plan to use my iPad to say everything from my vous to the final “I do...” whereas Alexis would be completely verbal for the whole process.

We were thinking on programming everything in on a “My Wedding” page and either having one of my brides maids holding the device while I cue in the right buttons at the right points, or me holding my own device to facilitate the bits where I need to communicate. Another more dynamic option is to have me type up everything “in the moment” with nothing pre-programmed.

What do y’all think of this concept? Any suggestions? Do you have any ideas on how to make the whole thing more autism friendly and aware?

Note our colors will be black, white, and Magenta.

Would anyone want to added such an event?

- more than likely on a mobile device

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 7:57 pm

I don't have any particular objection to this.....

I guess, if the love of my life wants a "nonverbal" wedding, that I should probably support her fully in this.

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2017, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't have any particular objection to this.....

I guess, if the love of my life wants a "nonverbal" wedding, that I should probably support her fully in this.

Should I pre-program everything in a “My Wedding” page or type it out in the moment?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 8:15 pm

Maybe a little bit of both?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Dec 2017, 8:16 pm

The amazing thing about weddings is that it's completely up to you how you want it to go. Do what makes you happy!

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

Program everything that you might need, but I would encourage you to type what you can in the moment, particularly the "I Do"s.

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate you all!

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 9:22 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
The amazing thing about weddings is that it's completely up to you how you want it to go. Do what makes you happy!

^ +1 :)

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 1:31 am

eeVenye wrote:
Program everything that you might need, but I would encourage you to type what you can in the moment, particularly the "I Do"s.

I second that.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 5:28 am

I went to a wedding where phones were used by both the bride and groom.
There were long delays and they made some stuff-ups and had to start again and I don't really know what anyone said because I couldn't hear anything and the groom started getting heckled by the guests.
It was a riot. :lol:

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2017, 5:34 am

Raleigh wrote:
I went to a wedding where phones were used by both the bride and groom.
There were long delays and they made some stuff-ups and had to start again and I don't really know what anyone said because I couldn't hear anything and the groom started getting heckled by the guests.
It was a riot. :lol:

Poor groom! I tell you. But hey my fiancée finds it “sexy” when I am nonverbal. Plus being nonverbal is how I identify and how I should have always been. One day I hope to make it permanent. I fell less stressed out when I am nonverbal both physically and emotionally. It’s a long story

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Dec 2017, 5:42 am

I would prefer to type in the moment because it is more of being here at the moment and actively taking part of it. But I guess a pre-programmed site could be a nice backup.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2017, 6:18 am

magz wrote:
I would prefer to type in the moment because it is more of being here at the moment and actively taking part of it. But I guess a pre-programmed site could be a nice backup.

Thanks. I’ll look into it. Good idea.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 6:44 am

Isn't marriage actually just signing a contract/document? Everything else, including "I do", brides maids, colors etc. is just tradition/religion as far I know.
So do what you like.
It should work, if you are actually having trouble speaking but if you don't some people might have some problem with it. They might say: "Why making yourself more disabled than you are?", "Are you making fun of the church? Just speak like everyone else." etc. You decide what will be easier for you - going nonverbal and listening to their complaints or speaking a few words.

I don't like weddings personally though so if I were to get married I would just sign the piece of paper and get it over with, without the religious/traditional parts.

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2017, 7:11 am

Kiriae wrote:
Isn't marriage actually just signing a contract/document? Everything else, including "I do", brides maids, colors etc. is just tradition/religion as far I know.
So do what you like.
It should work, if you are actually having trouble speaking but if you don't some people might have some problem with it. They might say: "Why making yourself more disabled than you are?", "Are you making fun of the church? Just speak like everyone else." etc. You decide what will be easier for you - going nonverbal and listening to their complaints or speaking a few words.

I don't like weddings personally though so if I were to get married I would just sign the piece of paper and get it over with, without the religious/traditional parts.

Hi

I can see where you’re coming from and do understand the point of weddings are just a lot of tradition and religion. Plus there are veasons I want for being nonverbal

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:42 am

I also like the idea of typing in the moment. It makes it more magical.