Page 7 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:44 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Neurotypical - born with the "standard" brain wiring, meaning doesn't have a diagnosable disorder that affects development enough to make the person face challenges in life that neurotypicals generally take for granted

So to clarify NT people include those who are not autistic but also have brain wiring that is not "standard".

A minor issue is people who are wired differently but function perfectly normally so go through life oblivious to their apparent wiring.

So it boils down to "being accepted by NTs" as "normal". A label driven by consensus.

I disagree.
I would define an NT on the basis of the "Hardware" rather than the "Software". 8)

Using computers as an analogy to explain what neurotypical means is a good way to get through to some Aspies here who won't accept that there is such a thing as being not autistic but not neurotypical.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 11:34 am

When I'm reading for myself, I expand NT as "Normal Thinkin'." When I'm reading aloud, I then have to correct myself, but I usually get an appreciative chuckle.

JP210168
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2020, 11:35 am

There's the pesky human tendency to divide people into predefined groups, and probably the fact that those that come here adopt certain buzzwords over time. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the term or gross overgeneralizations.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 11:49 am

JP210168 wrote:
There's the pesky human tendency to divide people into predefined groups, and probably the fact that those that come here adopt certain buzzwords over time. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the term or gross overgeneralizations.

To use language is to generalize. It should be used with care, but often there just isn't enough mental capacity, information, and time to approach the truth. That is the usual case where people have "just heard of" something. Any time we study a subject in depth, we are likely to find surprises.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 6:59 pm

JP210168 wrote:

As if we humans had a choice.

You have to label things. Otherwise you cant even have language, and you cant even think.

The subset of humans who are ...labeled as being on the autism spectrum have this here support site. And we need a collective noun for those of the human race not in the autism spectrum. So we SOME term to label them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 8:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
JP210168 wrote:

As if we humans had a choice.

You have to label things. Otherwise you cant even have language, and you cant even think.

The subset of humans who are ...labeled as being on the autism spectrum have this here support site. And we need a collective noun for those of the human race not in the autism spectrum. So we SOME term to label them.

I have no problems, as a tendency, with classifications.
People on the spectrum are people on the spectrum, as an example.
The problem seems to come from the associated/accompanied attitude/agenda.

Also:
People are often a little easy-going with contextual definement, which doesn't help communication. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 8:53 pm

JP210168 wrote:

Yeah I think this is the closest to getting toward the truth.

This is a social rather medical construct. Whatever technical definition we come up with, at the end of the day the majority whom consider those who are autistic as "different" are just going to be lumped together as NT for convenience.

The old "us and them"

JP210168
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2020, 8:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
JP210168 wrote:

This is a social rather medical construct. Whatever technical definition we come up with, at the end of the day the majority whom consider those who are autistic as "different" are just going to be lumped together as NT for convenience.

The old "us and them"

"Us and them" pretty much sums it up and the reason why I don't like the term in the first place. Seems like yet another imaginary concept for people to get riled up over, and not surprisingly many here fall for it.

On another note, I got quoted thrice already. Interesting...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 7:17 pm

JP210168 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
JP210168 wrote:

The old "us and them"

"Us and them" pretty much sums it up and the reason why I don't like the term in the first place. Seems like yet another imaginary concept for people to get riled up over, and not surprisingly many here fall for it.

On another note, I got quoted thrice already. Interesting...

That is an opinion.
You are entitled to your opinion. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 8:15 pm

There's a pink floyd song called "us and them"