DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:36 am

Why or why not?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Mar 2014, 5:49 am

No. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that impacts every area of life. People with ADHD don't process things like NTs. If they did, they wouldn't have ADHD.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:51 am

No. I tried to vote no but a pop up add caused my screen to move so I accidentally submitted yes. But no IMO ADHD is also a developmental disorder and you aren't NT if you have ADHD.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:04 am

I'm glad this question has came up because I've wondered about it a lot.

I work along side a few people who have ADHD and I have it myself too.

We all seem to be quite different to each other but we seem the same as well.

Like one boy is really quiet and doesn't say hardly anything to anyone, another boy is really loud, never sits still and does all kinds of tricks and he's very sociable. Then there's me whose very quiet yet still quite sociable.

I wouldn't like to say whether the other two have Asperger's as well as adhd, but I would definitely say that they differ from NT's.

It's just in the nature of things. I recognised them both before I had even spoke to them.

There are others too but I wont go on all day.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:22 am

I voted yes only because I believe the term 'NT' to be highly inaccurate.

ADHD don't 'process' things like the 'average NT', and either do others i.e. gifted people. Why? Because there is no 'average NT'. Everyone has different abilities and thought processes.

Is gifted considered not being 'NT'? Everyone has different wiring and will have processing differences. Some are considered disorders while others are not.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

It depends on how you define "neurotypical." In the general sense of the word, no of course not. ADHD is a pervasive developmental disorder. 5 different areas of the brain are found to have abnormalities in people with ADHD.

But if you are using the word to mean "not autistic" or "allistic" then it's hard to say.

ADHD should probably be considered a spectrum, because there is lot of variance between people who are diagnosed. There is a subset of people with ADHD who have co-morbid conduct disorder and there is a high rate of psychopathy in those people. Those people are probably a long way off from having an autistic neurology.

But as far as I know some of the same genes that correspond to autism, also correspond to ADHD, and it is not unusual to see both disorders run in a family. This is just my opinion but I think of autism and ADHD as sister spectrums that are distinct but overlap in the middle, genetically and symptomatically. This is just a guess but I think the people who are being labeled with SCT probably fit into that overlap.

In terms of how people on this forum usually describe NTs, I think some people with ADHD are probably NT. They may not relate to other people in what you would call a "normal" way but they don't relate to people in a particularly autistic way either.

But a lot of people with ADHD do have autistic traits, even if they are not clinically autistic. They may be ADHD + BAP. I would not call those people NT.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Verdandi wrote:
No. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that impacts every area of life. People with ADHD don't process things like NTs. If they did, they wouldn't have ADHD.

This +1.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:23 pm

People with ADHD are not NT, because they have ADHD. The people I know have social cognition/behavior of NTs, which makes them distinct from ASD.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:33 pm

Based upon my own observations & experiences I have found that some people with ADHD are not Neurotypical and that some are. It depends on the individual.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

It depends on the context in which "NT" is used.

Obviously, using a strict, literal definition, they are not.

Using a looser "non-autistic" definition, they are.

Likewise, dyslexia and similar conditions. Sure, these people have differing neurologies that can have seriously disabling effects, but if an autistic person says "parties are so hard, NTs don't understand!", then they are probably including people with ADHD and dyslexia. Likewise, I don't know if dyslexic people describe non-dyslexics as NT, but if a dyslexic person says "NTs find reading relatively easy", they are including autistic people.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

No. ADHD people are way too awesome to be NT. Far too pasionate. Far too creative.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

Yes because semantics.
Beyond that though I pretty much agree with how people describe it as not nt.

Poor motivation

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

I do not actually. "Neurotypical" would imply that someone's neurological pathways are connected the same way as the majority of the population, and as such, someone with ADHD would not be "neurotypical", as their neurological pathways are connected differently. Now, the differences between an NT and someone with ADHD may not be as extreme as the differences between an NT and an aspie, but the fact is that ADHD is not something most people have.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

Unless the person with ADHD is autistic.
NIMH wrote:
Children with ASD can also develop mental disorders such as anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or depression. Research shows that people with ASD are at higher risk for some mental disorders than people without ASD.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/a ... n=rss_full

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2014, 6:51 pm

Adamantium wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I thought that was an obvious assumption being made. I mean, I very much doubt DevilKisses was asking "are all people with ADHD automatically NT?"

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I thought that was an obvious assumption being made. I mean, I very much doubt DevilKisses was asking "are all people with ADHD automatically NT?"

I am sure you are right. I guess that was obvious and I failed to notice.