Should you have been aborted? (Genetics)

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 8:39 pm

What's going on, Ann? I think you're down for some reason.

I'm a pro-choice person.

But abortion for such things as Down Syndrome and Autism goes beyond the pale. There is value in each person with both disorders. Many people with both disorders go on to do great things----even if the "great things" doesn't involve winning the Nobel Prize.

Anyway.....autism has many causes; it can't be pinpointed enough to abort a baby. It's not a pure chromosomal disorder like Down Syndrome. Very frequently, autism occurs on a random basis, and has no apparent "cause."

You certainly have "value." There's no doubt that you do.

If somebody has Tay-Sach's Disease, I would advocate abortion. This is because a person so afflicted usually dies before his/her fourth birthday. And deteriorates severely starting at six months of age.

But for most genetic and chromosomal disorders. No.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 10:19 pm

Did not get diagnosed until age 21

So, yes, I could have been aborted

But anyone could have been aborted

But they had no method of knowing that I was autistic

Do I wish I was aborted?

Would it have been better for the world if I got aborted?

Different questions

Certainly I don't contribute anything significant to society

But abortion or extermination appears a bit extreme

Besides, even death row inmates live for decades on death row

Thus far nobody has convicted me of anything

Autistics have rights

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:43 am

That's a question for my mother really.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:57 am

I feel that I have a lot of value to offer to the world. I also feel that I have just as much of a right as the rest of my family and relatives to be alive as well. I feel that every person has value and every life is worth living. There are people who go on and on about the perfect life. I don't live the perfect life, but I'm glad I was born. I got to experience a lot of great things because my mum chose life nearly 44 years ago. Everybody has their own perfect life and a perfect life isn't always a five figure job, family, three story house, a big house and a boat. I feel that I'm living my own perfect life right now, because I'm doing all the things I want to do and things are going well for me.

Short answer:

I'm glad I wasn't butchered in my mum's womb.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 2:07 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
... every person has value and every life is worth living.

Exactly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:02 am

To paraphrase the Wizard of Oz; Your value is not judged by how much you value yourself, but by how much you are valued by others.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:14 am

androbot01 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
...and all the other aspies out there who do give a damn about themselves.

kindly quit projecting.

Do you really think I don't give a damn about myself? I'm 47 years old. I considered suicide first at 10 years. I've really been trying to hang in there. Our experiences are obviously different and I'm not going to go back through the years to autism treatments in the '70s or to our comparative social supports.

It just seems to me that I am not getting anything out of the deal of life. No matter how hard I try.

elbowgrease wrote:
...point of the noble act is that it doesn't matter if no one notices.

Nobility will get you nowhere, but I keep trying too.

elbowgrease wrote:
Because sometimes life is just so beautiful, and I'd really hate miss one of those moments.

Yeah, life can be beautiful. But not enough for me to stick around for.

elbowgrease wrote:
it's amazingly lucky that I was born, and that I had someone that cared about me.

I was amazingly unlucky to be born to two people who didn't care a toss about me. But still I am supposed to smile, isnt't that right, Kiprobalhato? Keep smiling, everything is great, problem? no not me.

My philosophy is, life's a total b***h and then you die but in the meantime you just have to suck it up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:37 am

There's lots of good in life....even amid the bad.

I haven't really had a "charmed" life. It was plenty tough when I was younger.

I've learned to make the best with what I have. Trust me, I had nothing in my 20s. Mattress on the floor, no TV. My luxury was having a hamburger and French fries at the local diner. And Chicken Delight delivered.

Most of my family really didn't care much for me. I guess I was lucky I had a father who believed in treating people the "right way," no matter what. He was a pretty good dad, I thought, because I was able to have pizza for lunch with him.

Do you believe there's "life after life," Ann?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:58 am

Again....it's nonsensical to believe in abortion for people who are found to have autism in the womb.

One can't, at this point, "diagnose" autism in the womb as of yet.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:00 am

androbot01 wrote:
How many people on this site think that they have value?

I am asking because I believe I have no value to civilization. So to those who are not savants, who live on disability, whose families tell them they are special, do you think you have a value?

I'm gonna tell you why I think you and I don't. You're special interests are not that interesting. You're ability to focus on minutia, not that helpful. You're lack of ability to empathize in the moment, "I can see you're in trouble, but I have to process it first," sad.

I'm going out on a limb to say that the gifts of autism are a small payoff for the what we drain from others. Perhaps I should post in the Haven, but I think this is more general.

They will find a genetic identifier for autism, and then we will be gone. Thank God.

Stop contemplating your own navel, Androbot01. Your navel isn't that interesting.

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make." There are plenty of autistics who do contribute meaningfully to their families and communities. I would suggest you find ways to do the same. Or if you can't, or don't want to, please don't lump an entire population (autistics) into the same sorry shopping cart as yourself.

kraftiekortie said the same thing, only a great deal more diplomatically than I. That's one of his special gifts - making others feel better. Although kraftiekortie and I will never be close, I value his participation at wrongplanet. I used to value yours as well, but I agree with another commenter that your OP will be triggering to some, and is mean-spirited and destructive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:02 am

Why can't we be close? LOL

Only kidding :jester:

My feeling, truly, was that Ann was having a bad day yesterday.

I've come in here being stupid at times....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:20 am

To be blunt, I believe the whole concept of eugenics is GARBAGE!! !!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:07 pm

A question my mom probably wouldn't want to answer, "Mom, if you knew I was going to have problems in my childhood and have a disability and not be able to talk and you would have to go through all that trouble to fight for my education and advocate for me, would you have aborted me to avoid all that trouble if you had the ability to predict the future?"

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:17 pm

I'm sorry. I'm struggling right now, but I should not have lashed out. Could this thread be locked please.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:01 pm

locked on OP’s request.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.