Restricted Interests range into music?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 8:11 pm

So I'm wondering...do people on the spectrum tend to have polarised views of music? As in, genres of music that we like, we really like, and songs that we don't like, we can't stand?

If I'm around other people and there's music that I don't like, I usually ignore it successfully enough.

But if I'm listening to the radio (mostly talk, but they play some music occasionally) and the "music feature" comes on, it's almost always something that I don't like, and it tends to make me annoyed enough that I turn the radio off even though it's a station that I otherwise like quite a bit.

This ring true for others? How about NTs, do they do that too?

Cherina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

I generally like a fair dew genres, but hate the radio, to me it's so same, generic or teenybopper stuff. My daughter is very restricted in liking her 'bands' Twenty One Pilots, some of MCR, Fallout Boy and Panic At The Disco!, it is one of her obsessions. Thankfully for me though it became mine too, so we're able to bond over it.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

21 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

I hardly ever listen to anything that's not punk or psychobilly and could easily listen to the same songs / albums over and over again. The music that you generally hear on adverts, the radio etc. is horrible for me and I can end up quite wound up if I can't escape it. Never been able to understand people who like any type of music.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2017, 8:38 am

I just tend to dislike American/ European pop music in general.
I find the melodies overly simplistic, and can't see why people find the songs "catchy".

I prefer J pop and K pop, but they are so not mainstream.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 9:43 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
So I'm wondering...do people on the spectrum tend to have polarised views of music? As in, genres of music that we like, we really like, and songs that we don't like, we can't stand?

I know I am like this, but I'm not sure it's a spectrum thing. I know the reverse is true, that plenty of people love "top 30 radio" or whatever, and can't stand much of anything else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:58 pm

My music "interest," for the most part, ends in the 1980s.

I grew up with a transistor radio, listening to Top-40 music, and loving the "countdowns" of the hits of, say, 1969.

I like some of the music after the 1980s----but there's no "sentimentality" in my "liking."

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2017, 8:54 am

I despise poppy music, for the most part. I like metal, folk, old school country, rock, punk, folk punk, progressive and lo-fi hip hop, and many 'wave' genres.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

NLC1072
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2017, 11:57 am

So to sum it all up really, we all (for the most part) like music that use actual instruments! :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 3:47 pm

I'm a completionist when it comes to music. It's not enough for me to own some of the albums of a favorite artist - I must collect them all, and then some. For instance, I have 46 Metallica albums, 64 Yes albums, 60 Rush albums, 40 Judas Priest albums, etc. (All studio releases with the additional albums being live bootlegs).

I also do this when it comes to country. 12 Kenny Chesney albums, 11 Martina McBride albums, etc.

My classical music collection is the most extreme. I have the music of about 560 Romantic and classical composers, principally, their orchestral works and solo piano music. My largest is Franz Liszt with 106 albums, then Beethoven with 66 albums. I generally eschew opera. The only one I own is Richard Wagner's Tannhauser.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 3:53 pm

Hey Robin,

Like your book.

At first I thought it was going to be a Donald Goines/Jack Kerouac hybrid---but I was proven wrong.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

NLC1072 wrote:
So to sum it all up really, we all (for the most part) like music that use actual instruments! :)

Computers may be cool, but they'll never beat a real orchestra. If you like real instrumental music, I strongly suggest Two Steps From Hell. I got into them about three years ago and haven't looked back since. I could list favourites here, but you'd get bored reading the list.

Other than that, I like a lot of the older country music (Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, etc.) and folk music (Stan Rogers, Gordon Lightfoot, etc.). A bit of hard rock is also nice from time to time, heavy metal can also be fun at times. The only kind of music I really try to avoid is the top 40.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 6:39 pm

I have certain songs, genres, and artists I will listen to constantly. It takes me a while to warm up and get used to new songs. Sometimes, if an artist I like releases a new album, I don't listen to the whole thing right away because it kind of gives me an overload (if that's possible). I really like pop and classic rock a lot and I don't really like country or rap much. There are some songs from those genres that I find really annoying and that drive me insane.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm

^ @KraftieKortie - Thanx for reading.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 4:06 am

NLC1072 wrote:

I'm not sure that's true, I think we just have too small a sample size in this thread so far.

For example, Owl City (whatever his name is) claims to have ASD, and one can assume that he likes the type of music he creates.

I know quite a few people who are (or might be) on the spectrum and enjoy electronic music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:00 pm

me and my sister are the only two people I knew in person who love listening to the music produced by 20s-style Wurlitzer theatrical pipe organs :dj:

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2017, 9:33 am

I do experience this a bit... though I've been pushing myself to branch out. I'm a big Alternative Rock/Metal fan of bands like Sevendust, Alter Bridge, Nothing More, Thrice, etc. Also a big 80s metal fan, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, etc.

I used to love classical, but something about the heavier music acts like white noise to me, I find it strangely calming.

I also like movie and game scores. Especially Mass Effect and Witcher 3. I dunno, maybe I've branched out more? :D