I am AS & go by my full name. 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
I am NT & go by a nickname. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am NT & go by my full name. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 10:52 am

Perhaps it's just me, but people have trouble calling me by a nickname. It's not that I mind, I think I just do a bad job at assuring people who shorten my name that it's ok with me. People ask if it's ok. I say "yeah, no problem" and then they end up going back to my full name anyway. XD The only people who call me by a nickname are my sisters and cousins. Even my parents call me by my full name.

I wonder if this is because I have always introduced myself to people by my full name, or if it's because I might be not responding the way people expect when coworkers call me by a nickname. Is this an aspie thing? Are we less likely to be nicknamed?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

The only nicknames I've had----with few exceptions----are ones which were meant to be insulting.

My first name is only one syllable. My last name, I suppose, could be fodder for nicknamery, however.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:09 am

I'm a little picky about them.
My name's Andrew, that's how I introduce myself and what I prefer to go by. I am ok with Drew, Andre, Andreas. But I've never been ok with Andy, and get pretty upset when people continue to call me that after I've let them know I don't like it.
I've never had a nickname that wasn't based on my name yet, not sure how I'd feel about that. Although my Sifu used to call me twitch sometimes, mostly playfully, but also to draw attention to things I needed to deal with in martial arts and just to mess with my head.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 11:15 am

I've had a few nicknames, but they got me kind of confused, because they were nowhere close to my real name. When someone says "Embla" I respond immediately, but when they said "Otto" I still responded but it took me longer between the time I heard it and understood it was me they were calling.

I moved to a new country a few years ago, and even if Embla is short, it's very unusual (even in my own country) and people have problems with both pronouncing and remembering it. So I tell people that the can just call me "Em". But nope, they just keep on calling me Emma or Ella :P
I have no idea if it has anything to do with me being an aspie or not. I can't really see the connection.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

Only my parents and my siblings call me by my nicknames. My mom gave me one of my nicknames when she was pregnant with me. I made up my other nickname when I was five. People have called me by shortened versions of my name but I prefer to be called by my full name. I have a unique name and I don't think it would hurt people to learn and remember my full name.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm

My first nickname was Firecracker. It was like a "fight switch" -- if you called me that back then, we would be in a fight nearly instantly.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:22 pm

I go by my initials with friends/family - most of whom shortened even that. When I was working and with my doc, dentist etc it's my full name.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:30 pm

I have a lot of nicknames. There's the nicknames my family call me (just shortening my name), and the nicknames my friends call me, which can vary depending on the particular friend/group.

Usually there's something I end up being known for, and I get called something based on that. Granted, bullies in the past have also given me nicknames. There's also ones people use for playful banter, and I tend to give them names as well. I've certainly had some weird ones, but others are fairly normal.

There's sometimes a certain story behind a few of the nicknames I get, and occasionally I have to explain some of the more obscure ones which tend to be inside jokes of some kind. :)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:32 pm

I had an incompetent boss once who would try to put down his male underlings by calling them "Sweetie" or "Honey". Every time he did that, I wanted to punch him in the face.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

I usually go by my username or just simply Maria or Maria Robotnik as an alternate name. I prefer to not tell people my legal name due to the fact that I don't want it to be seen by the wrong people who could trace that name to my username... Especially for work-related purposes. I can do without risking my chance for employment somewhere because some company decides to look up my name online and see some... "interesting" things about me.

Upon that, I honestly hate being called by my legal name because it's what my mother named me and calls me and it makes me uncomfortable. That name tends to trigger me sometimes, reminding me how much of a toxic relationship I have with my mother.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 3:45 pm

I have a nickname at work.

It relates to my surname.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

Real name in real life, though hate it when someone yells out my name for the whole world to hear.

Use an alias for pretty much everything else online, gaming, social media, will never share my personal information apart from city and country.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 10:52 pm

I have a cute nickname that my best friend calls me. Big Baby Schultz.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm

A shorter version of your full name doesn't count as a nickname, right? I answer to both my full name and its shortened version.

I do usually, for whatever reason, tend to introduce myself by my full name even though the shortened version might be "cooler". I then go with whichever the person chooses to do from there.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:41 pm

I once had a roommate who had the nickname of "Taco". He hated the name but couldn't get rid of it. Once he moved to another city, he didn't tell anyone about the name and from what I've been told, he isn't called that any more.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:47 pm

Also, I used to get called "Billy Jack" because I wore a flat brimmed black hat everywhere. I couldn't figure it out because except for the flat brim, the hat in the Billy Jack movies was quite a bit different.

Here's Billy Jack with his hat on in the movies:

Mine wasn't rounded on the top. Rather, it curved back in and then had a bump in the center. It was just like any normal black felt cowboy hat with the brim flattened.

Also, the band on mine was red, white, and blue, but kind of faded from years of wearing it.