Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

reyisautistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2017, 6:31 pm

Anybody here, on the spectrum, ever have any experiences with hallucinations and/or delusions?

I've dealt with both my whole life, though they were both more pronounced in 2015 (pretty sure it was a psychotic break, which I've read can happen with schizotypal pd, but that's beside the point. Though it couldn't be spd, since it started in childhood. Hmm...)

My main point is whether that's normal/possible on the spectrum?

infj / scorpio

Voldemort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

I have yeah. However I also have MH problems alongside the autism. My team believes that I have some sort of psychotic/mood disorder separate from the autism.

reyisautistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2017, 6:38 pm

Thanks for your reply! :)

And that's what I'm thinking too, for myself, since I haven't seen a lot of evidence linking autism and psychosis.

infj / scorpio

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 9:54 pm

I don't have vivid hallucinations, but I often see things out of the corner of my eye, usually just moving shadows. It could be infrasound sensitivity. Infrasound is sound that is below average human hearing range. It can resonate with internal organs, including the eyes and brain. Since many people on the spectrum are sensitive to touch, it could be that we feel infrasound more intensely. But you should still see a doctor in case you do have psychosis. Also, I could be spewing nonsense.

reyisautistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2017, 11:20 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
I don't have vivid hallucinations, but I often see things out of the corner of my eye, usually just moving shadows. It could be infrasound sensitivity. Infrasound is sound that is below average human hearing range. It can resonate with internal organs, including the eyes and brain. Since many people on the spectrum are sensitive to touch, it could be that we feel infrasound more intensely. But you should still see a doctor in case you do have psychosis. Also, I could be spewing nonsense.

No, that's definitely a possibility! Thank you for your reply! I've never heard of Infrasound sensitivity before, but it's worth a shot. :)

Another angle I'm curious about is how many of the ghosts I've seen have been hallucinations. If none, I've had some pretty vivid things going on.

Hmmm...

infj / scorpio

huytongirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

I am under a huge amount of stress at present, so that's a possible explanation - but the other day I was sure I was good friends with several famous people. Part of me knew this wasn't so but this belief was there. This has shaken me rather. I am having a huge breakdown so maybe this delusion was part of it. I had a partner who had paranoia and I read up about it, and grandiose delusions are possible, as well as frightening ones. It has worried me. But it also made me think that maybe the utter depths of the terror I feel about the situation may also be somewhat delusional.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 5:30 pm

huytongirl wrote:
I am under a huge amount of stress at present, so that's a possible explanation - but the other day I was sure I was good friends with several famous people. Part of me knew this wasn't so but this belief was there. This has shaken me rather. I am having a huge breakdown so maybe this delusion was part of it. I had a partner who had paranoia and I read up about it, and grandiose delusions are possible, as well as frightening ones. It has worried me. But it also made me think that maybe the utter depths of the terror I feel about the situation may also be somewhat delusional.

Stress is a huge factor and can cause multiple issues. I'm not a Dr but if I were you I would go see your GP to put your mind at ease or possibly your local MH crisis team as they were very good when I had a breakdown - although you do have to be persistent with them ( overburdened NHS system ) , I highly suggest taking an advocate with you as well.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard