Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 12:28 am

This is something I Find is getting more frequent with me more so as an adult then a child. Where I can be talking and what I say the sentence comes out wrong almost back to front. I have said that sentence in my head before saying it out loud and I say it right in my head but then vocally I say it wrong and I get embarrassed by it.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2018, 1:54 am

My words often come out wrong. I pause to think in the middle of sentences, forget a word, pronounce words incorrectly, or say a word I've just heard or read instead of the one I was trying to say.

I think I notice it more these days because I'm observing myself and my communication difficulties more. Also because when I was younger I talked a lot less. oartly because I was too scared to join in conversations and partly because I didn't know how.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 2:07 am

The way sentences come out when I write come out jumbled sometimes and I have to rearrange it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 9:10 am

I have a good vocabulary, but sometimes I draw a blank on some of the most mundane words. I find myself using the words "thing" and "stuff" frequently. I read that this could be a sign you're losing your mind. That really scares me.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm

Visual thinking leaves a lot of gaps for me in speech. It does seem to be getting worse as I get older, but maybe I'm just less tolerant of having to be so focused to communicate. Thankfully my toddler fills in the missing verbal words for me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

If its getting worse then maybe that is an issue. But everyone does that. I do a little public access radio show on a little internet station. When I listen to tapes of my show am often appalled that what I thought came out of my mouth was not what came out of my mouth. Doesn't happen when I read a script I wrote, but does when I am ad libing. Like recently I said "Halloween" when I meant "Valentines Day".

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

Yes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 11:59 pm

i'm sure glad i'm not the only one here who has to struggle to get the right words and fails, I can't count the number of times where I hadda do the thing to the whatnot because of the thingamajig.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2018, 1:50 am

I need to speak slowly and pause a lot in order to ensure that what comes out of my mouth is what I intended to say. Unfortunately other people interpret the pauses as their opportunity to speak and I then get shut out of conversations.

If I try to speak faster and leave no gaps for other people to butt in, I find that I often use words or phrases that were not the ones I intended. Sometimes it makes a complete nonsense of what I am trying to say. Other times I say something that is similar to what I intended but it is not quite right. I am aware that I do it, but once I have spoken the wrong word or phrase I am unable to stop and correct myself and just have to keep going to the end of the sentence.

I have never been able to overcome it except by speaking slowly and pausing a lot so I just find myself being interrupted all the time.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2018, 5:55 am

I mispronounce words often (like I mean to say 'a bit' but it comes out as 'a beet') and sometimes get a mental block in the middle of a sentence and can't finish it. People think mispronouncing words has something to do with me being a foreigner, so they don't really see it as a manifestation of anything else. It's actually pretty funny when I say "live the cup on the table" :lol:

Sometimes I'm super fluent though and can talk for hours, but that never happens in social situations with many people around me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 9:46 am

Yes I do that too

There are so many ways to get it wrong

And it takes so much energy to get it correct

And even when I get it correct precious lil "people" still have the nerve to tell me "what" and "huh"

As if "what" is the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

Usually it is not worth the energy to interact with precious lil "people"

:D

:cry:

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 2:21 pm

I occasionally mispronounce sounds which sound similar and the beginning of a sentence might loop a few times when I am really excited, speaking faster than my tongue can keep up. Then there are the times when I know what I want to say (not stressed or excited) and I pause because I don't remember the common word I intended to use or forget how to pronounce it. An example could be saying "fridge" instead of "bush" like when I was riding in the car, not thinking of when I was in the house earlier.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 3:27 pm

People do it all the time - most of them just don't pay attention or even don't believe they did it: "Where did you put the lodge?", "You mean laundry.", "I said laundry.", "No, you said lodge.", "No, I didn't!", "You did.", "You need to clean your ears, I said lodge", "...", "???", "Nevermind...".

I personally get embarrassed when it happens but fix it as soon as I can and try to forget.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2018, 4:43 pm

I'm a visual thinker and the images and video clips that run through my head as I talk seldom come in the correct order. For example, "I'm going to the store," usually comes through as an image of self, an image of the store, an image of the route, and finally a brief and quick video of motion through parts of that route. That translates directly as, "I, store, travelling to." I do a quick reorder in my head and correction of the verb as I speak.

This happens with everything I say, every time I speak.

When I get rushed or stressed, I make mistakes in the translation, and some odd things come out. Overly stressed or rushed, and I will swap syllables of the words, and jibberish comes out. A few years ago, my life was completely stressed out, and I wasn't aware of how stressed out I was, but my speech got very, very jumbled. I got rid of the stress and most of my speaking problems went away.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 5:12 pm

I tend to get sentences wrong when I feel nervous whilst talking to someone unfamiliar, usually resulting in overuse of filler words, awkward stuttering, and repeating phrases or single words.

"Hey, how is your day going?"

"I-t-um- y..yyeah it's, it's, going fine yeah um"

When talking to my friends I don't tend to have this issue, but when interacting with cashiers I just lose my nerve and dig myself into a rather awkward hole. :oops: I'm not sure why cashiers make me so nervous. There's no real logic behind it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

My dyslexia has significantly worsened recently as well. It has gotten very bad. I have it with speech as well as in reading, writing and typing. I have noticed that I have really worsened in the past couple of years. I wonder if the big Autism Burnout I had a couple of years ago caused me to get worse in this area.

Wreck It Ralph