What Is the Feeling of Being Overwhelmed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 4:01 am

This Morning I have this feeling of fatigue and feeling extremely tired to the point of getting a headache. Every Monday morning I go to the Supermarket but this time with this extreme tiredness whatever people are saying to me it doesn’t register. Any noise seems louder and slightly irritating as well. I don’t know how to respond to people when talking and hope I don’t come across as rude or impolite but it is hard for the words to come out. Anything I look at I just stare at it, also just want to go into a daydream. Is this being overwhelmed?

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2018, 5:10 am

Yeah I think so, I feel this way often - like every other day. Whenever i've been outside I get a headache, i've learned that it's from taking in everything that's going on around me. If i've been out with a friend aka socializing I have an even worse headache afterwards and so exhausted to the point of falling asleep at my computer. I daydream a lot in this condition as well or just "shut off". It can be frustrating for people around me at times.

Nonsense
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2018, 8:10 am

Today I've just been reading so much that now every sound seems bit louder and more annoying than usual and indirect sunlight coming from window is bit too bright. Also it is harder to understand what's going on around me. I can't listen music to relax because it seems to just add up. I try to avoid people and noisy environments more than usually when I feel like this. I think this is what being overwhelmed means to me.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2018, 9:52 pm

These are good descriptions of being overwhelmed. It happens to me if I have to deal with too much bright light or loud noise, when I'm in too hot of an environment, if I socialize too long, if I have to drive too long or focus too long on certain mechanical tasks like painting, putting sealant on my deck, and the like. It's like I wake up in the morning with a certain amount of ability to tolerate various types of stress and each taxing experience depletes the remaining amount. I have to sort of budget how much stress I take on and pace myself.