What is NT personality & how does it relate to AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 May 2010, 10:18 pm

I've been seeing lots of stuff here talking about NT personality & I'm not quite sure what that type is & how it relates to Aspergers :? Do most Aspies fall under the NT category :?: I'm an ISTJ. Strong I & strong J

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 10:31 pm

NTs have all sorts of personalities. So do Aspies. There is no "NT personality" or "Aspie personality" because people in those categories are simply too different from each other to make general statements about their personalities.

There are general tendencies. About one-fourth of NTs are introverted, for example; among autistic people, the percentage is higher, at least half and possibly more.

But there's no way to predict someone's personality from their diagnosis. AS expresses itself in so many different ways, and their environments affect AS people in such different ways, that the personality tends to be rather unique from person to person even when all of those people have the common element of AS as part of who they are.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 10:48 pm

nick007 wrote:
I've been seeing lots of stuff here talking about NT personality & I'm not quite sure what that type is & how it relates to Aspergers :? Do most Aspies fall under the NT category :?: I'm an ISTJ. Strong I & strong J

nick, NT stands for "neurotypical" (i.e. an aspie term for someone without Asperger's)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 11:00 pm

katzefrau wrote:
nick007 wrote:

nick, NT stands for "neurotypical" (i.e. an aspie term for someone without Asperger's)

Oh OK I must of got confused :oops: Thanx :P

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 12:06 am

Callista wrote:
There are general tendencies. About one-fourth of NTs are introverted, for example

I wonder if that is partly cultural. Extroversion is widely admired in America (and in Australia, to tell the truth, although not quite as strongly as in the US). But many cultures have admired introversion and even regarded extroverts as immature, rowdy, undisciplined, just as American culture tends to regard introverts as "shy" or "shut in" and needing to "come out of themselves" and "be popular" (all of which drives me crazy - introverts don't need to become extroverts, and extroverts don't need to become introverts). The British, for example, are allegedly more comfortable with "the eccentric introvert" than (say) American culture is.

I wonder if population studies from America tend to over-emphasize the proportion of extroverts?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 11:19 pm

katzefrau wrote:
nick007 wrote:

NT also stands for "intuitive thinker" (under certain situations). There are a larger number here who are INTJ / INTP, and it is believed by some that there are a disproportionate number of intuitive thinkers on this site as members.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 11:22 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
katzefrau wrote:
nick007 wrote:

NT also stands for "intuitive thinker" (under certain situations). There are a larger number here who are INTJ / INTP, and it is believed by some that there are a disproportionate number of intuitive thinkers on this site as members.

That's actually what I thought it meant at 1st. I've seen NT used on other sites a lot :o

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:28 am

Yes, the irony here is the NT personalities of the Myers-Briggs sorter tend to be the most common in AS/HFAs and the NTs we know as neurotypicals tend to be composed of more Myers-Briggs SFs. :P

(Try explaining THAT three times fast!)

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2010, 5:44 pm

Doesn't matter..

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:44 pm

Callista wrote:
About one-fourth of NTs are introverted, for example;

I wonder what is the source of this statistical - I have seen these number in many places in the net, but, AFAIK, all studies that have been made about introversion/extroversion had show that these trait have a normal/Gaussian distribution (roughly 50% above the average and 50% below).

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Callista wrote:
About one-fourth of NTs are introverted, for example;

I wonder what is the source of this statistical - I have seen these number in many places in the net, but, AFAIK, all studies that have been made about introversion/extroversion had show that these trait have a normal/Gaussian distribution (roughly 50% above the average and 50% below).

I agree, the recent things I've come across say that it is approximately 50% split, with small percentage variances according to both culture and gender. ( UK / USA slightly more extrovert, some Asian countries slightly more introvert )

Over the past couple of years a well-publicised TV/Internet-based personality test in the UK has shown approximately equal E / I split.

The biggest difference between extroverts and introverts is not in the numbers - but in the amount of noise they make! That's why it seems like there are mostly extroverts around.

Here's an interesting article : Revenge of the Introvert
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... -introvert

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm

According to MBTI studies, the 75-25% split is actually found between Sensing and Intuition, so that ES** and IS** combined make up around 75% of populations, and EN** and IN** make up around 25% (with IN** being the smallest percentage group overall).

The E-I Dimension
( E = expressive, speaking, socially promiscuous, I = reserved, listening, socially intimate )
Men are slightly more likely to be I (46% to 54%) and women more likely to be E (52% to 48%).

The S-N Dimension
( N = abstract in thought and speech, S = concrete in thought and speech )
About 73% of the population is S. Among men the split is 72% to 28%; among women it is 75% to 25%.

The T-F Dimension
( T = utilitarian in using tools, F = coorperative in using tools )
There are claims that men are roughly 60-65% T and women roughly 60-65% F - this gender difference seems to show up in aspies too.

The P-J Dimension
( J = organized/scheduled/inflexible, P = flexible/unscheduled/disorganized )
There are slightly more J's than P's; among men the split is 52% to 48%; among women it is 56% to 44%.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 1:03 am

ladyrain wrote:
The S-N Dimension
( N = abstract in thought and speech, S = concrete in thought and speech )

The P-J Dimension
( J = organized/scheduled/inflexible, P = flexible/unscheduled/disorganized )

i've never seen it explained like this. strange though, as isn't INTP kind of disproportionately high among those on the spectrum?

i would think from the above it would be ISTJ that is the most common.

(if i remember right i am ISTJ - strong I and T; barely S and barely J. .. but i am asking out of curiosity and for clarification, not because i think my results signify what should or shouldn't be more likely .. i've misunderstood what attributes the results indicate)

Loke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2010, 5:48 am

Hi, that's an interesting way of seeing it. I think I was INTP the last time I tried one of these tests, which would make me abstract and disorganized. Sounds about right :)

About the cultural thing: Absolutely. For example, I think the Americans here have a harder time being accepted than people in some other countries - where there might be more leeway and room for different personality styles. That's been my experience, anyway. You guys all have to be well-adjusted, perfect and smiling at all times, apparently. (Right now American culture is spreading throughtout Europe as well, so I guess we'll be there soon...) One good trick is moving to a different country, if you can handle that. I've found that people are a lot more forgiving of your quirks and oddities if they know you come from a different culture.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:13 am

NTs follow the pack and Aspies aren't afraid to be themselves.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:02 am

ladyrain wrote:

The E-I Dimension
( E = expressive, speaking, socially promiscuous, I = reserved, listening, socially intimate )
Men are slightly more likely to be I (46% to 54%) and women more likely to be E (52% to 48%).

I wonder if this is true for all cultures - I suspect that in Mediterranean/Catholic/Islamic cultures the sex ratio could be the opposite.

Quote:

The T-F Dimension
( T = utilitarian in using tools, F = coorperative in using tools )

Not exactly - I think the classical definition is "T - decides with cold reasoning, F - decides with emotions"; however, in practice, most MBTI quizzes test the T-F dimension using questions that measure more the "agreeableness" than the reason/emotion dimension.