Any recommendations-workbooks for HFA ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 3:14 am

Someone on another forum has suggested I check out workbooks for those with HFA. I have always been wary about such things as I doubt my ability to grasp the advice given. I think perhaps I should give it a try though.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 5:27 am

Anyone ? -recommendations please.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 7:36 am

Posted this in several places. No replies. I'm thinking there are no books worth recommending.

AltoClarinet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2018, 8:21 am

I read the book "The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships," and I found it very helpful. I don't agree with everything in it, but I found it useful in understanding myself and how I behave, and it has advice for how to act in social situations.
I've ordered two books on how to live independently when you're autistic. They haven't come in the mail yet, but maybe I can post about them here when they arrive.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

It seemed like your question was a little off. There are many good books on Asperger's/HFA but you used the word Workbook. A workbook is "a student's book containing instruction and exercises relating to a particular subject". So a workbook might be something that you find in a classroom for a teacher who tutors Asperger's/HFA/LFA students. Is that really what you are seeking?

Or are you looking for a book that addresses coping with some aspects of Asperger's/HFA life and the problems they encounter over NTs. Perhaps you are looking for self-help books?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:41 am

Someone has suggested
"The ASD Workbook: Understanding Your Autism Spectrum Disorder" by Penny Kershaw , but I'm not sure about it as the Amazon blurb says it's aimed at children .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:54 am

jimmy m wrote:
It seemed like your question was a little off. There are many good books on Asperger's/HFA but you used the word Workbook. A workbook is "a student's book containing instruction and exercises relating to a particular subject". So a workbook might be something that you find in a classroom for a teacher who tutors Asperger's/HFA/LFA students. Is that really what you are seeking?

Or are you looking for a book that addresses coping with some aspects of Asperger's/HFA life and the problems they encounter over NTs. Perhaps you are looking for self-help books?

'Workbook' was the term used by the person who replied to me on schizophrenia.com(He has both autism and schizophrenia). What I want is a book on coping skills .Whether that should include exercises and instructions I'm not sure. I've always baulked at self help books as when browsing through some I've found them to be overly complicated and involved. I really need something simple that helps.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 1:04 pm

Here is a link to a free pdf booklet that describes Aspergers from a perspective of neurological diversity.

http://christianpioneer.com/blogarchiev ... e_2017.pdf

If your browser does not open pdf documents, you can right click and use "save as".

Essentially the premise is that during childhood faster and/or broader neurological processing often leads an Aspergers child to construct his own internal mental framework. This is often a hindrance in childhood as this construction is often done in accordance with the desires and perspectives of a child.

As a teenager leaves childhood, the intentionality of the Aspergers mental process allows the purposeful reconstruction of mental constructs such that things that served the purposes of the selfishness intrinsic to children can be replaced by those more useful.

For example, A child who has a high level of sensory issues may develop behavior patters that keep others away to reduce the anxiety associated with social interaction. An adult may wish to have social interaction and need to replace standoffish patterns with ones that can accommodate people. This may require the development of new skills such as assessing people in terms of the likelihood of being able to be worth knowing.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 1:20 pm

timf wrote:
Here is a link to a free pdf booklet that describes Aspergers from a perspective of neurological diversity.

http://christianpioneer.com/blogarchiev ... e_2017.pdf

If your browser does not open pdf documents, you can right click and use "save as".

Essentially the premise is that during childhood faster and/or broader neurological processing often leads an Aspergers child to construct his own internal mental framework. This is often a hindrance in childhood as this construction is often done in accordance with the desires and perspectives of a child.

As a teenager leaves childhood, the intentionality of the Aspergers mental process allows the purposeful reconstruction of mental constructs such that things that served the purposes of the selfishness intrinsic to children can be replaced by those more useful.

For example, A child who has a high level of sensory issues may develop behavior patters that keep others away to reduce the anxiety associated with social interaction. An adult may wish to have social interaction and need to replace standoffish patterns with ones that can accommodate people. This may require the development of new skills such as assessing people in terms of the likelihood of being able to be worth knowing.

I have downloaded the pdf.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 1:42 am

Shoot me for being an idiot. The words actually used were

Quote:
"There are some good workbooks for higher-functioning autistics (you definitely qualifiy)
. So 'higher functioning' rather than specifically HFA. Maybe a technical difference-I don't know.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 3:53 am

"firemonkey wrote:
So 'higher functioning' rather than specifically HFA. Maybe a technical difference-I don't know.

Even if there is a technical difference, there's no way to know if they got the difference right! :wink:
The primary HFA/Asperger difference is in childhood language development. Your adult language seems functionally fine to me, so I don't think the distinction would matter much for the kind of books you're looking for. Aspie books seem far easier to find, so best to include them, I'd say.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 4:34 pm

Just been looking at the ASD workbook . Looking at things with ASD that apply to me. Talking and being with people 11/13. Sensory issues 3/5 . Flexible thinking 7/12. The most ASD like is being and talking with people which is what I expected. This is the area that probably needs most work . The thing is I'm quite asocial but need to be better at interacting with others when I have to .

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2018, 11:10 am

There is a book that have recently purchased based off of reviews that may be the type of book that you are looking for. It is titled Living Well On the Spectrum written by Valerie L. Gaus. If you type the book title into the Amazon search bar it will come up. I think it's selling for about $18.00. Check it out for yourself. Hope it helps. Shark

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 1:50 pm

Thanks for that.