Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 11:48 pm

I just ran across a really interesting youtube video where someone tried to talk to a robot that was built in 2016. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq36J9pNaEo

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:17 am

I find it amusing that some people fear AI.

I see AI-powered societies as more benevolent than human-powered societies.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:22 am

Syd wrote:

I think AI is neither benefolent nor evil. It can't have any attitude or emotions, thats why its AI.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:31 am

A.I. is a tool; nothing more, and nothing less.  A tool becomes a weapon only when used for violent intent.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:06 am

QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:

I think AI is neither benefolent nor evil. It can't have any attitude or emotions, thats why its AI.

AI leads to a society with improved production, efficiency, economy, stability, better quality of life, etc. all of which bring more peace and prosperity. I'm not saying it will be a utopia, but yes, in general I expect there to be more resources and less conflict as new technologies provide solutions to old-world problems.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:

AI leads to a society with improved production, efficiency, economy, stability, better quality of life, etc. all of which bring more peace and prosperity. I'm not saying it will be a utopia, but yes, in general I expect there to be more resources and less conflict as new technologies provide solutions to old-world problems.

By saying this, you are only confirming the point of people that are afraid of AI. One reason for fear of AI is that it might be the antichrist -- and the antichrist is prophesized to create utopia on earth at the cost of salvation.

I guess, from my point of view, I disagree with both points. I view AI as just a tool, neither good nor bad. But if I take your point of view, then AI will become a lot more scary.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
I find it amusing that some people fear AI.  I see AI-powered societies as more benevolent than human-powered societies.
I disagree (partly).  Giving some people too much unsupervised free time gives them too much opportunity to get into trouble.  It's better to keep such people busy, even if only with mind-numbing and repetitive tasks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
I find it amusing that some people fear AI.  I see AI-powered societies as more benevolent than human-powered societies.
I disagree (partly).  Giving some people too much unsupervised free time gives them too much opportunity to get into trouble.  It's better to keep such people busy, even if only with mind-numbing and repetitive tasks.

What about people like myself who want to become theoretical physicists but can't get a job due to too much competition? Up till now, I was able to successfully avoid "mind numbing tasks" by going to multiple schools and I can pursue theoretical physics this way. But I might not be able to go from school to school forever -- and I really don't want "mind numbing tasks" to disract me from working on my physics papers.

Now, if the robots were to do all the "mind numbing tasks" then the competition for being a theoretical physicist won't be as big, and then I "would" be able to become one.

Or are you saying that, if I can't win the competition as it currently is, it means that I might not be as sincere about it as I say I am -- and, therefore, my intentions can't be trusted? Thats why they want me to do mind numbing tasks since they can't trust that -- in the middle of doing theoretical physics -- I will decide to get on drugs or something (which I never would but they can't trust me since, hey, I wan't good enough to win all this competition).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:21 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
What about people like myself who want to become theoretical physicists but can't get a job due to too much competition? ...
Not my problem.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:27 am

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
What about people like myself who want to become theoretical physicists but can't get a job due to too much competition? ...
Not my problem.

Well, I am talking about a really high competition. To become a professor at a top school, the competition is 500 people per place. To become a professor at a good school, the competition is 300 people per place. To become a professor at a *bad* school the competition is between 50 and 100 people per place.

Note that I didn't have trouble getting into graduate school (where the competition is between 1 out of 2 and 1 out of 5). But getting a postdoc or becoming a professor is where I have a problem due to the competition becoming so much higher.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:31 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
Not my problem.
Well, I am talking about a really high competition. To become a professor at a top school, the competition is 500 people per place. To become a professor at a good school, the competition is 300 people per place. To become a professor at a *bad* school the competition is between 50 and 100 people per place.  Note that I didn't have trouble getting into graduate school (where the competition is between 1 out of 2 and 1 out of 5). But getting a postdoc or becoming a professor is where I have a problem due to the competition becoming so much higher.
Then compete harder or take a path that requires less competition.  Either way, it benefits no one to complain about the path you have chosen.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:45 am

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Syd wrote:
QFT wrote:
Syd wrote:
Not my problem.
Well, I am talking about a really high competition. To become a professor at a top school, the competition is 500 people per place. To become a professor at a good school, the competition is 300 people per place. To become a professor at a *bad* school the competition is between 50 and 100 people per place.  Note that I didn't have trouble getting into graduate school (where the competition is between 1 out of 2 and 1 out of 5). But getting a postdoc or becoming a professor is where I have a problem due to the competition becoming so much higher.
Then compete harder or take a path that requires less competition.  Either way, it benefits no one to complain about the path you have chosen.

Here is the context though. You said that the purpose of "mind numbing" work is to keep people from trouble. This leads to the logical quesiton: what is the point of keeping "me" from trouble if my only issue is that I couldn't win the competition?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 12:02 pm

QFT wrote:
Here is the context though. You said that the purpose of "mind numbing" work is to keep people from trouble. This leads to the logical quesiton: what is the point of keeping "me" from trouble if my only issue is that I couldn't win the competition?
Keeping you from trouble and your failure to compete are two completely different issues.  Your question makes no sense and thus cannot be given a meaningful answer.  Now, compete harder or take a path that requires less competition. Either way, it benefits no one to complain about the path you have chosen, or to ask meaningless questions.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 12:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Keeping you from trouble and your failure to compete are two completely different issues.  Your question makes no sense and thus cannot be given a meaningful answer.  Now, compete harder or take a path that requires less competition. Either way, it benefits no one to complain about the path you have chosen, or to ask meaningless questions.

If the robots were to take over the other jobs, then the career in theoretical physics would become less competitive and I would be able to do it.

You are saying "no, robots shouldn't take over these other jobs, since we need these other jobs to keep people out of trouble"

Therefore, what you are saying is that I should do these other jobs in order to keep myself from trouble.