Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 8:27 pm

I'd prefer you to stay. Diagnosis does nothing except tell us we have issues and fits all of those issues into one label. Even without a diagnosis we have a lot more in common than we do with the wider world and this forum is invaluable.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 3:13 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
I'd prefer you to stay. Diagnosis does nothing except tell us we have issues and fits all of those issues into one label. Even without a diagnosis we have a lot more in common than we do with the wider world and this forum is invaluable.

At the end of my doing the ADOS yesterday the assessor admitted ,without prompting, that it was quite subjective ie down to her interpretation of things.

I'm also certain (99%+) I'm not neurotypical even if ASD is seen to not be a good fit. Ideally I'd have liked to be assessed for NVLD as well,as I think that is a better fit. However in the UK it's scarcely recognised. I have heard that symptoms that would be indicative of NVLD in the States are often labelled as dyspraxia in the UK.

Doing a google search I found http://simonbaruchcurriculum.pbworks.co ... lities.pdf

As a child I would have fitted elements of types b and c best . According to my sister in her letter for my assessment-

Quote:
As Tim grew to his teenage years he became more socially awkward and reclusive. It was around this time that he was badly bullied at boarding school due to not being a ‘normal’ kind of teenage lad.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 9:55 am

So did you get an answer after the ADOS, or do you still have to wait?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 10:05 am

BeaArthur wrote:
So did you get an answer after the ADOS, or do you still have to wait?

I still have to wait. I have an uneasy feeling I might be one of those 'borderline' cases, ie it could go either way, as she said I might,or might not, need to be seen again.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 3:38 pm

If so, don't feel bad; I was borderline (autistic - not personality disorder!) myself. We arrived at my diagnosis after discussion of what it might mean to me, either way.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 4:14 pm

I just hope ,at the worst ,there's a recognition that's there's more going on than just mental health problems. Ideally I would have pressed for an NVLD assessment,as I think that fits better, but it's scarcely recognised in the UK.