Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 3:23 pm

As you can see from this thread, envirozentinel thought up of this one.

smudge wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Maybe we need to coin a new term - if one can be racist or sexist one who hates all Aspies could be called aspist... or Autiephobic...

That's a good idea. It would give autistics power and voice above those like Autism Speaks.

So I'm thinking about the consequences of this. Maybe it could stop employers from disrespecting the autistic community for example by asking specifically for programmers only. It feels like they're saying to us, "We want the brainy ones only and don't care much for the rest of you". It's stereotyping too.

Maybe it could shut down discriminatory websites like heartlessaspergers.com

Maybe it could even allow autistics to come out with their autism in the workplace without fear of getting discriminated against.

Title Edited.

Last edited by smudge on 05 Sep 2019, 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Sep 2019, 3:40 pm

The title is a bit misleading. It's a new word to describe anti-autists. The title does sound a bit as if the word is anti-autism.

Thanks though.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 3:52 pm

Seriously though people, I think this is a massive deal. This would help us speak out against Autism Speaks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 4:19 pm

I get what you're saying.

Folks who hate autistics would be …

I suppose that it is a subset of "ableism"- a term that already exists.

But if want to make it specific- "neurodiversaphobia"?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 4:22 pm

I prefer to use the word c***s

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 4:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I get what you're saying.

Folks who hate autistics would be …

I suppose that it is a subset of "ableism"- a term that already exists.

But if want to make it specific- "neurodiversaphobia"?

It could cover neurodiversity, since it covers quite a lot of people than a subset, and would therefore be more likely to be included in the majority of people as a proper term.

Autism though specifically has people dismissing it as not real, something to be judged or in the case of Autism Speaks, something to be erased.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm

Here's my suggestion: "neurological Procrusteans." A bit long, but gets the point across about what's wrong with it and why, and also encompasses ill-treatment of other kinds of neurodivergent people besides just autistic people.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 05 Sep 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 6:42 pm

I think a great word would be autisticphobic. Another good word would be autismphobic. Autiphobic also sounds good.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 6:49 pm

smudge wrote:

Maybe it could even allow autistics to come out with their autism in the workplace without fear of getting discriminated against.

No magic word is going to accomplish this without a much bigger and better organized civil rights movement than we have now, which isn't going to happen until we have a much bigger and better organized community than we have now.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
smudge wrote:

No magic word is going to accomplish this without a much bigger and better organized civil rights movement than we have now, which isn't going to happen until we have a much bigger and better organized community than we have now.

While I like the reference, I don't think most people know what Procrustean means.

And...you've got to have that sound bite or "magic word" at least in the US.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 6:57 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Here's my suggestion: "neurological Procrusteans." A bit long, but gets the point across about what's wrong with it and why, and also encompasses ill-treatment of other kinds of neurodivergent people besides just autistic people.

I'm sorry to criticize, but the majority of people would not understand such a term and be very resistant to trying to understand a new "big word". It needs to be simplistic and easily understandable. It's got to sound catchy too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 7:08 pm

smudge wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I'm sorry to criticize, but the majority of people would not understand such a term and be very resistant to trying to understand a new "big word". It needs to be simplistic and easily understandable. It's got to sound catchy too.

Procustean sounds like it means someone who loves lobsters and crabs! :lol:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 7:13 pm

Lol, it reminded me of that too!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 8:28 pm

In my opinion, a new "big word" might make people think, wheres "auti-phobic" (or a similar term) would more likely be resisted as just another variant of "political correctness."

The word "Procrustean" means ruthlessly conformist. It refers to the Greek myth of Procrustes, who invited travelers to spend the night at his house, and then either cut off their feet (if they were too tall) or violently stretched them (if they were too short) so they would exactly fit the size of his guest bed.

In my opinion, ABA (or at least the classic kind of ABA that focuses on making autistic kids "indistinguishable from their peers") is a Procrustean methodology.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:36 pm

Personally, I think "autismophobic" fits better with the other "phobics", though it would probably be pronounced au-tis-mo-pho-bic

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:45 pm

autignorant