Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2020, 2:19 pm

It seems like a handful of times, I've gotten this in my life. The whole "you have to change" type of thing. I'll give a few examples.

1. When growing up, being pushed into activities that I had 0 interest. For example sports, which like in school, I got picked on just the same. All I wanted to do is go to school and come home, I wanted nothing to do with the place other then what I was forced to do. Which is, how I feel about work as an adult. So, I got told "your not even trying" " why can't you stop complaining? and of course "you have to CHANGE your attitude".

2. An EX friend of mine, came to really hate my political views. After the 2012 Presidential election, his response was "your the one has to CHANGE" and basically said what I believed was stupid and pointless.

3. A couple years ago, a rule changed at work and mind you, the prior policy had worked just fine for a number of years. This new rule made things more complicated and made no sense to me. I was told by a manager " you need to have more of an open mind and accept CHANGE here" .

It seems as if I'm always the one that has to change, even if I know a definitely in the right.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 2:43 pm

Changing who you are doesn’t mean you were wrong before. It’s part of growing as an individual. If you don’t change at all you should be worried. Change is the result of new experiences, knowledge, wisdom, adaptation.. all sorts.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 2:55 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
It seems like a handful of times, I've gotten this in my life. The whole "you have to change" type of thing. I'll give a few examples.

1. When growing up, being pushed into activities that I had 0 interest. For example sports, which like in school, I got picked on just the same. All I wanted to do is go to school and come home, I wanted nothing to do with the place other then what I was forced to do. Which is, how I feel about work as an adult. So, I got told "your not even trying" " why can't you stop complaining? and of course "you have to CHANGE your attitude".

2. An EX friend of mine, came to really hate my political views. After the 2012 Presidential election, his response was "your the one has to CHANGE" and basically said what I believed was stupid and pointless.

3. A couple years ago, a rule changed at work and mind you, the prior policy had worked just fine for a number of years. This new rule made things more complicated and made no sense to me. I was told by a manager " you need to have more of an open mind and accept CHANGE here" .

It seems as if I'm always the one that has to change, even if I know a definitely in the right.

Sadly I know the feeling, more so with number 2 and 3. The latest management or social fad is X, it will make things soooo much better, but in reality they are still in the same process with a tweak instead of breaking out of the box. If you dare even mention an alternative, they still want you to adopt the meta system, even if it is faulty. Escapism is my muse these days.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 3:15 pm

Imposed change is horrible especially upon adults. Sometimes it's unavoidable. But if it isn't, it has to be for a very good reason to make it a moral thing. Like if someone has a desire to kill someone and you cure them of that, that's a good reason to change somebody. Because someone wants to watch a TV show at their pace not yours is a bad reason to change them (my dad got cross over that, so the second one is an irl example).

Change can be good. Deciding to change can be good. And people will inevitably change. Yes, even autistic people. Noticing change in yourself can be a good thing. Or a bad thing.

When I was 11 my dad forced me to change football team and I refused although when I was 12 I eventually came round to his way of thinking. :lol: And I haven't changed since. It's taboo to change that, but I tell myself it was ok for me cos I was a kid.

People tried to change my politics loads in my life. I was always whatever they didn't want me to be. It's my stubborn streak.

People tried to feminise me all my life. I tried to do that to fit in and get a job. It was really awkward & didn't work at all and just felt weird to me. :?

When I was about 4, my grandma found out I was dyspraxic. And I said 'I can't'. She said 'there's no such thing as can't, only I can try'. She was wrong - I still couldn't do my shoes or tell the time or any of the things she wanted, for many years, even after she died.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 4:04 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:

No matter how hard we think, errors like the above malformed sentence sneak in.

Life is a process of continual change, no matter how much we try to defend the parts we like. Being right in the sense of having scientific proof should be sufficient, but the majority of people are not capable of following logic if it gets close to an emotional issue, including resistance to science. Stupid people get tricked so easily that their safest position is to assume that no smart people are helpful.

Sometimes, change is just accommodation to the herd, but sometimes the new perspective brings benefits that were not visible from the pre-change condition.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 4:42 pm

I hate government changing things which make things difficult for me. It is as if some of these changes are a personal attack against me as an individual and I can take them personally and want nothing to do with the ones making the changes. (It is the stupid changes that effect me where others will just ignore what the government does and carry on their lives regardless).
The BBC has caused me personal stress due to rules and laws they have said apply on their news channels and other programmes, and later I find out the rules and laws were completely fabricated and never existed in the first place! This has caused stress to me.
I do all I can now to avoid watching news channels. I just don't want to know. I just want to live my life hastle free.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 5:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I do all I can now to avoid watching news channels. I just don't want to know. I just want to live my life hastle free.

"Nothing's gonna change my world."
- John Lennon

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2020, 9:02 pm

I remember how hard school was. Even if you figured out one year, the next year was just going to be different.
Did we dream of being free as adults?
Can we forgive our teachers for teaching the right lessons in the wrong way?

IR

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2020, 10:57 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:

One thing I've learned is that if everyone says you're wrong, you're probably wrong. The odds of you being right and everyone else being wrong are extremely slim. It can be hard for some people to admit they don't know everything.

Example 1 - You probably assumed you wouldn't enjoy those sports and didn't try because you thought you couldn't be wrong. If you changed your attitude and tried to have fun, there's a good chance you would have enjoyed them.

Example 3 - Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean it was a bad change. Management knows what they're doing. That's why they're the managers and not you. Your manager gave you good advice. Being more flexible and open minded instead of rigidly clinging to your own beliefs because you think you know it all and can't be wrong will help you in many other areas of your life. No one likes people who think they're better than everyone else.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 11:26 pm

This little saying maybe hard to interpret for some concerning this thread , but I just had to recite it here anyway.
“ In the land of the blind the man with one eye is King”

where ever you go ,there you are

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2020, 11:59 pm

Jakki wrote:
This little saying maybe hard to interpret for some concerning this thread , but I just had to recite it here anyway.
“ In the land of the blind the man with one eye is King”

I used to think people didn't like me because I was autistic. I've since learned people didn't like me because I was self-absorbed and thought I was better than everyone else. Once I stopped being so full of myself and arrogantly looking down at the rest of the world, started listening and following other people's advice and treating others as equals, people started to like me. They were right. I was the problem and I had to change. Now that I've changed, I'm happier than I've ever been.