Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 9:55 pm

I am moving. I hate the moving process and prefer to teleport. But, within the confines of reality, I have to move the old-fashioned way via cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, duct tape, and markers.

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR GODS SAKES HELP ME, I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE! MENTAL SCREAM - MAKE IT STOP!

Okay, any advice? Given: I am a total neat-nick so having boxes and stuff lying around is making me nuts and my routine is disrupted. I am overwhelmed and stressed. The Lab Pet is whimpering in the corner and I think I'll crawl inside a moving box and not come out. Verge of meltdown.

Oh, in case you're wondering, I am moving from Anchorage (S. Central Alaska) to Fairbanks (Alaskan Interior). I am happy though - I love the Interior! Still panicked out of my mind though. I have a delicate neurological constitution. BOXESBOXESBOXESBOXESBOXES.....

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:07 pm

i feel ya.... i am moving too for school next week...

i just moved no less than 5 things that are huge... tables and dressers and entertainment centers... out to the curb by myself...

i hurt all over :(

gl movin :)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:11 pm

I will be moving next month as well.

I am moving from just outside Houston, Texas (S.E. Texas) to Wichita Falls, Texas (115 miles northwest of Dallas, on the Texas-Oklahoma state line).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2007, 10:19 pm

I've moved more times than I care to remember. I think my family are suburban nomads. Since I don't drive, I'll probably wind up moving quite a bit in my future, as well. Lately I just try not to accumulate any stuff, so there's less to move when I need to move. I fulfill my need to hoard by collecting digitally (especially digital books, which I believe are habit-forming.)

In any case, I tend to find moving is a great time to de-clutter. Can give old books, clothes, etc. to charity or (especially with books) to friends who might enjoy them.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 11:08 pm

I'd ship everything :P

Honestly, I've done it, that way I can travel lightly :)

Also, I didn't have lots of stuff to move. A friend also did this, and he even sent a computer and a monitor :P
Of course it'd help to do a round of throwing away stuff.

Like Delphi, I've moved a couple of times, and well, you learn to get rid of stuff. Do you need to carry a frying‐pan or something that you can buy cheaply again? Do as Delphi, get your cds in the computer, donate the cds :P
I made a quick glance at my stuff, and I just realized I now have even less stuff! :lol:

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2007, 11:24 pm

Hey Labpet... I am moving too...it is a serious pain and all that is involved is enough stress to last a lifetime

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2007, 11:44 pm

I cant imagine going thru life moving constantly, I need stability, and have only remembered moving once from NJ to NY and then again to my home moving outa my parents who live only 20 mins away, it was not to stressful as a kid tho, i liked adventure, and my parents obviosuly did all of the work... I am envious that u get to live in Alaska tho, its 1 of my planned places to check out b4 I die...

Crazy_Ben
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2007, 1:34 am

With my bone condition, despite people often thinking I'm just a tad on the thin side, I can't move much more than small boxes of CDs and/or small loads of books. Which means my friends move me and then I take them out drinking and stuff. Aaaah, but they hate it because I have so many damn books :twisted:
It usually takes me weeks to "recover" from moving. I feel your pain there.

boots1123
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2007, 1:56 am

I move a lot. I've done the whole move-everything-down-to-the-last-paperclip, and just shipping essentials and buying new (or at least different).

I find that saving my favorite relaxation area, complete with some knick knacks left in place for last, and then, recreating that space in my new home first, helps center or ground me.

I really don't like change, but, I suspect, for me, not moving would be the change.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2007, 2:19 am

i moved 3 months to where i live now, only 4 miles from my old place. thankfully i still go to the same school so i wont go crazy adjusting somewhere new. i thought i wouldnt be able to cope,but it was so easy i didnt notice.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 2:53 am

I've moved a lot, so many times that it doesn't bother me. Having always rented property I never have any furniture or appliances to move and I use moving as an excuse to upgrade the TV and music gear (sell the old ones). This means that my whole life including books and clothes fits into less than a cubic metre, the contents of a small van.

To make moving efficient you need to be ruthless about what you need, what you want to keep and what can be thrown away.

Ed Almos

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

29 Jul 2007, 2:57 am

Moving has certainly etched bad memories on me as I still have nightmares about the logistics of moving everything.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:57 am

I have to organise a move from Switzerland to Ireland in at the end of the year and am on the verge of tears thinking about it already...
I arranged for it to be in December so I can take the holidays to recover.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2007, 8:22 am

I'm getting ready to leave Japan on the 6th after being here two years. Ouch. Having things scattered all over is extremely unsettling. However I do find that there is a certain freeing quality about having got rid of all the stuff I've shipped already.

The last time I moved, I made a point of transporting a lot of stuff in advance of the actual moving day. This made the day itself less stressful. I'm kind of doing the same thing now, sending a lot of stuff on ahead of me so that I don't have so much to schlep through five different airports. Generally, I think getting stuff done as much in advance as possible is the way to go. Ship it if at all possible, and get the excess things lying around cleared off the floor and out of sight as soon as possible.

Don't try to do or see/understand everything at once. Break it down into manageable pieces--one thing to be taken care of at a time, and only see that bit. You can't do everything at once anyway, so there's no point in harassing yourself about it in an endless loop of anxiety and worry. Make a checklist (if you haven't already) and allow yourself some time to breathe, and some time to grieve. Moving is a stressful time for anyone, and a period of psychological upheaval. Remember to allow yourself to feel sad and shocked about the change that's come your way.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2007, 8:50 am

I have moved a number of times, and now I have learnt how to make it less stressful, and even enjoyable. First up, I type a big long list of everything I have to do, then sort it into categories, and add a column to check off each item when it has been done. By the time I have done that, the whole moving thing has become my new 'special interest', so then I really get into it. As for the actual packing part, I do this very carefully - I number each box, and write a list of contents. I pack the things I use least first, and the things I will need as soon as I arrive last. As each box is packed, I stack them in an organized fashion so that it doesn't look chaotic. When my stuff arrives at my new home, I make sure I unpack, organize, and get rid of the empty boxes as quickly as possible. I also try to do as much as possible on my own :wink: .

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

29 Jul 2007, 8:53 am

Kelsi wrote:
First up, I type a big long list of everything I have to do

Just the thought of that and I will start getting ideas of pouring gasoline over all my junk and collecting an insurance check. :D