Fabric sensitivity:where can I buy bedding

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:38 pm

Does anyone know a store or UK online firm selling very comfy, soft cotton sheets and duvet covers. I've found one selling organic sheets but its costly the bed linen in shops seems to crisp and itchy. I've used the duvet I have for 15 years so may need a new one soon!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:41 pm

We use beechwood, it's softer than jersey knit cotton. I get them at Bed Bath and Beyond

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 2:59 pm

yea bed bath& beyond has some good things there. i am sensitive to certain fabrics and textures but its not all that bad it just depends what you wear

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 3:23 pm

fresco wrote:
Does anyone know a store or UK online firm selling very comfy, soft cotton sheets and duvet covers. I've found one selling organic sheets but its costly the bed linen in shops seems to crisp and itchy. I've used the duvet I have for 15 years so may need a new one soon!

I think that QVC is a USA store, but they are solely online and on TV here in the States. I've bought nice flannel and also brushed cotton (like t-shirt material) sheets and some other lovely bedding from them, and the prices are good if you get them on sale.

On the sheets - if you have regular cotton sheets, I've found that even the most obnoxious ones will eventually become quite soft if you wash them often enough in hot water and throw something in the washer with them (like an old tennis shoe that doesn't stink). If you can dry them in a machine instead of on the line outside it also helps. It can take a couple of dozen times through the washer and dryer, but they do get softer eventually. I tend to buy sheets, except when I can get flannel or brushed cotton ones, with the mind that I won't be using them for months. I just make sure I put them in the washer (even if they're not dirty) every time I'm going to do a load of laundry.

Also, I don't care for the smell of most fabric softeners, but there are few out there that can be added to the rinse water that have no scent at all. They help a little bit. But, really, brushed cotton and flannel are much nicer-feeling. Good luck!

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 1:41 pm

I use the beechwood sheets too. They're absolutely fabulous, and not too expensive.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone I'll see if they can ship some beechwood to England, it looks like they ship to US and Hawaii only but fingers crossed great price too.
Big thank you's

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:30 pm

I prefer flannel sheets, though they're too warm for summer. I suggest that whatever you get, you get a high thread count, because they're usually really soft.
Another suggestion: If you're having trouble with tactile sensitivity, don't go to bed just after a bath. I notice that when my skin is wet, my sense of touch (already pretty acute) is intense. Instead, wait a while and perhaps the bed won't hurt as much.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 8:24 pm

here's the type of sheets I use (nothing else works since I found these):
sheets
and here's the contact for out-of-country orders:

"For information regarding shipments to US Territories or international shipments/billing please call
973-785-4333 or email us at [email protected]."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Aug 2007, 10:57 pm

i have a blanket made outta rabbits ears :wink: