Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:53 pm

father

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:33 pm

As long as I remain alive, my life is not "destroyed".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:39 pm

As long as I can fight it, I refuse to be 'destroyed'.

My life is currently going uphill.

From being in a slow and painful decay in futile effort to preserve it in a tiring endless battle with myself -- to being finally remade, for better and stronger, in a marathon length momentum.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Yesterday, 10:48 pm

My life is not destroyed, but if there's one thing that did the most damage, it would be covid.
There were times when I really thought I would never recover from those years.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:55 pm

My ex-husband. Although he was worth marrying so I could have my exact same kids, he turned into a litigious POS who has cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars (in debt) on legal fees, and worst of all he's hurt, neglected, and terrorized my kids their entire lives while being court-ordered to leave them the hell alone.

Sexual violence.

Overall, the legal system regarding family law legislation, criminal victims' rights, children's rights, and the lack of special needs accommodations.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:05 pm

too many things. i'm still here but a key [astrological potential] part of me was beat out of me long ago.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:47 pm

My chronic illness. ME/CFS, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome. I has taken away 90% of what makes up a normal life and it drags me down every day.

But there's more than that that is wrong with me. I find everything to be a struggle and I can't just be, because everything is hard and I am always having to battle with just living day to day and getting through the day. So there's that too, though it's hard to know how much of it is exacerbated by being exhausted all the time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:52 pm

^

@bee33,

I went to my doctor with a long print-out about ME/CFS to show I had nearly all the symptoms. I'd say 95% of the symptoms. She said "Oh! You definitely have it. It's in your records already. Didn't you know?"

Well now I know. I always thought it was "just" burnout.

My daughter has Fibro, which as far as I can understand is the same thing but with more pain. ME/CFS is more fatigue than pain.

I'm sorry you're dealing with the same thing. It's really overwhelming and affects the whole body.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:03 am

To paraphrase Friedrich Nietzsche: "That which does not destroy me has made a grave tactical error."

I am a survivor, not a victim.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:09 am

^

A person can be a survivor and still have lasting damage to their lives, especially if their kids have been hurt or they have lasting physical and psychological injuries.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
A person can be a survivor and still have lasting damage to their lives, especially if their kids have been hurt or they have lasting physical and psychological injuries.
100% agree.  I did not mean to imply otherwise.

The phrase "I am a survivor, not a victim" is what I recite to myself to keep moving ahead.  Another mantra is, "Don't ever give the bastards reason to believe they've won".  I draw strength from knowing that they couldn't defeat me forever.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:26 am

OK thanks for clarifying. I try not to use either label. I just deal with the component parts as they come (e.g., anxiety, panic, pride, etc.) There's no shame in identifying as a victim if you're seeking support for victims' rights or trying to help other victims of crime. Being a victim doesn't mean the person isn't also a survivor. They're synonymous terms really.

I don't usually think of my life being "destroyed" and that's not a word I'd use, but those things did have the most negative impact of anything I've experienced and full recovery isn't possible for me. In that respect it has been destructive. Things that were once whole are now broken.

JamesW
Raven
Raven

Today, 1:59 am

Nothing. I'm still here.

In the context of autism, most importantly, I'm still just as autistic today as the day I was born. No more, no less. I just know more about it now.

There is a God.